Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't connect to the internet? But I am?  (Read 4682 times)

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Can't connect to the internet? But I am?
    « on: February 20, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
    Ok first off, this problem is very vast. I realise I have put it in the wrong section. Could a mod move it to the software section or something?

The problem: I can not connect to the internet. It doesn't work. In the bottom right hand corner where it shows that you are connected, it shows that I'm not. Yet if I click "Connect or Disconnect to networks" it shows that I'm connected but with limited access. If I disconnect and try reconnecting it just says that it is taking longer than usual and fails - but it then says that it is connected.

Cause: This all started out with Xbox Live. I got my 360 up and running with Live yesterday after a long process of bridging my connection etc. I played for a while, went to bed, and woke up. It had just stopped working. When I test the connection, it looks like this: Xbox - - - - - Network - - - - - Computer - - - - - Internet - - - - -  Live
    And as it shows that it's testing the connection to the network, it fails. Like I said, this didn't happen yesterday. Now a friend of mine who is a PC wizard came round and fiddled with my connection properties. Now my laptop (which is what my Xbox is connected to through an ethernet cable) which is wireless) will not connect. The thing is, downstairs I have the main computer. It wasn't working for 3 hours before my friend fiddled around with my laptop. Now it is. (I'm using it to write this)

I'm using Vista on my laptop, XP on my computer. My Xbox is connected to my laptop via an ethernet cable (to save the best part of £50). It started out as the Xbox wouldn't connect, now it's just messed up. My friend has no idea what is wrong and is completely puzzled.

Any help is appreciated greatly!
    « Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:14:08 PM by 1two3 »

chevronman

Beginner

Re: Can't connect to the internet? But I am?
      « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »
      Did you try resetting the modem? Vista seems to have issues with the connections anyway disconnect the modem turn off the power then reconnect and turn the power back on. Somtimes going through connection wizard can also rest the perameters.

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:52:27 AM »
        Yeah I've tried that about 50 times  ???

I've turned everything off. Xbox, Laptop, Computer, Modem. Waited 10 minutes and then turned them on again - no luck.

mroilfield

Mentor
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:27:36 AM »
        You have a normal network cable going from your xbox to your laptop and then your laptop has a wireless connection to your modem/router.

I am not exactly sure if that should have even worked right the first time.

It sounds like you need to just keep it simple and spend the £50 or so and get it hooked up as it should be.
        You can't fix Stupid!!!

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:33:25 AM »
          You have a normal network cable going from your xbox to your laptop and then your laptop has a wireless connection to your modem/router.

I am not exactly sure if that should have even worked right the first time.

It sounds like you need to just keep it simple and spend the £50 or so and get it hooked up as it should be.

Yeah. But it did  ???

Now the problem is fixing my internet.