Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A little lost  (Read 10205 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: A little lost
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 05:24:54 PM »
which devices are these?

Can you perhaps provide a screen capture of device manager?

using the "print screen" key on your keyboard, open Paint, Edit->Paste, save, and then you can attach that and we can investigate this issue.

but, before we get to concerned, the problem isn't actually a "broken" ntkern.vxd, the error is in fact saying that ntkern tried to load it, but was unable to.

I also might add that if memory serves "code 2" is "file not found" (I'm such a nerd LOL).

if you reinstalled, then you're simply missing drivers. if you can provide an Everest log, we can help you find the drivers for any missing devices.

Everest

If everything appears to be working fine, you have nothing to worry about, but we'll help you get everything as tip-top as it can be ;)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
      Well, I can't get on the internet on that machine so I can't send files. I don't care much about the gaming drivers but kinda need things like modem and keyboard!
      I will check it out again but it seems to me that at least most of the drivers it needs are there and it says that they have been installed and asks me to restart but I still can't get on the internet and I still have the exclamation points. That machine is more confused than I am!
    Grannys have Sage wisdom. They also know quite a bit about Oregano and Thyme.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 05:47:15 PM »
    Sounds like one of the missing drivers is for the network card.

If you can find a floppy disk you can copy items(everest log, mostly) to there and then upload them via the other PC your using to access the net.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »
      Network card?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »
      it would probably say "Ethernet controller" in device manager. It's the part that handles connections to your network; this is usually how PCs are connected to the internet.

Either that, or modem card; in either case, it sounds like there aren't any drivers installed for several components.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 06:33:39 PM »
          TechGreatGranny gave me a whole box of stuff that has to do with that machine including a couple of modem disks one of which is labeled drivers. I can see by the documentation that it has had a couple of modems so I am not sure this is the disk for the present one but if it is I should be able to get them there? ( Yes, there is a question in there somewhere)
           I have downloaded Everest to my computer and have to put it on a CD to install it on her machine, get the logs and then put the results on a floppy (if they aren't to large) so that I can post them from here! Whew!I guess that will have to wait until tomorrow when I have more time.
           Thank you! I don't look like this anymore :'( now I look like this  :) 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »
         :'( ->  :)

A free service of computerhope.com

;D

Once we get the logs, I'm sure there will be no problem finding drivers for everything.

While your there I'd give the modem disk a shot. if it doesn't have a installer, you'll need to tell windows 95 what to do:

In control panel, select "add/remove hardware"

this part is a bit hazy, but there should be an option at some point, "I will choose the driver to install", at which point you would click "have disk", and then insert the modem disk.

With any luck, it will be able to install the drivers for the modem.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »
          I'm back! Finally!
          Here is the full Everest report.
          If I can get the modem up and running I can post from there and so I have tried installing the driver for it but with no luck.

[attachment deleted by admin]

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 08:06:28 AM »
            Did I forget something or is the prognosis so bad that no one wants to break it to me? When I enter a chatroom are people whispering behind my monitor or is that just the ringing in my ears? Give it to me straight, man to Gran, I can take it.
            Nothing can ruin my day because I just got a brand new grand baby! ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 09:02:37 AM »
            Sorry, I meant to get back to this thread but I guess I forgot  ;D

It doesn't seem like Everest was able to find the exact model of the modem, it came up with "PPP adapter". One possibility is, If you have the windows 98 CD, to use the "add new hardware" wizard to manually add a Hayes compatible modem, or one of the generic modem drivers. (hayes is fairly universal). I'm a bit rusty with windows 98, but when you first start the add new hardware wizard, (found in control panel) it will at some point ask you wether it should search for devices or wether you will specify the device- choose to specify, and then uncheck "show only compatible hardware". navigate to Modems (or dial-up adapters, I forget the name) and there should be a "hayes compatible" entry, or something similar. Try installing that driver.

I found a few pages that might help. I've never had to set-up dial-up, and have never really used a modem myself so this is fresh territory for me.

http://www.cowboy.net/support/ppp-setup/win95-98/default.htm

I just got a brand new grand baby!

Congratulations!  :)

49 M

Beginner

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »
              Right click the My Computer icon. Click on properties, then device manager. Click the modem box & it should tell you which one you have.

Congradulations on the new grandchild! They are life's reward for not wringing the kids neck's when they were driving us nut's. lol

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »

Congratulations! 
                Congradulations on the new grandchild! They are life's reward for not wringing the kids neck's when they were driving us nut's. lol
                Thank you! And I hear ya, 49M!

OK, here is a list of the drivers I lost on April 3rd.

Standard 101/102 –Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
                Microsoft TV/Video Connection
                HSP56 WDM Device (Pctel)
                CM18738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
                Processor Support
                Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet Nic
                Disconnected Devices- Intel 536EP V.92 Modem
                   Since a few days ago the last two don’t even appear in device manager.
                   Add New Hardware just keeps taking me back to Device Manager which says that the drivers are not installed. I’ve tried the modem driver CD but the computer can’t read it. I’ve ran a search and can find some of the drivers and it says that they are successfully installed but after restart the devices are still down.
                   Is there a certain one, like Processor Support, that I should try to get first?   
                   On a slightly different note, is it possible to restore to a certain date with Win98? I understand the principals of System Restore but have never used it so I’m not familiar with it’s capabilities or method of use.