Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do you uninstall Windows ME?  (Read 6349 times)

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    How do you uninstall Windows ME?
    « on: May 23, 2005, 08:31:24 PM »
    Is it as simple as going to the Add/Remove window and clicking to uninstall?  I need guidance as to what exact steps to take.  I'm planning on doing a "clean" install of Windows Xp and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.  After I install Windows XP, should I get updates from Windows right away?  And, I've read that before installing XP I have to make sure I have all the Current BIOS.  Is that only if you're doing an upgrade?
    Thanks  :)

pcdoc4christ

Re: How do you uninstall Windows ME?
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 08:51:52 PM »
    Marlene:

It sounds like what you want  to do is a clean installation of Windows XP (in other words, you want to wipe the hard drive clean and install XP without upgrading Windows Me).  When you boot to the Windows XP CD, choose the clean install (not the upgrade) option, if it is available.  

For advice on how to do this, check out these Microsoft links:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/honeycutt_02october07.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941

These Web pages explain the pros and cons of a clean installation and compares this method to upgrading.

To see if your computer hardware is up to letting Windows XP get into the driver's seat (i.e. to see if it is compatible with XP) then go to this Microsoft link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/before.mspx

Most important are the "Check Your System Requirements" and the "Make Sure Your Hardware and Software Are Compatible" URLs on this Web page.

To see if your BIOS needs a flash upgrade, you should check your motherboard manufacturer's or computer maker's Web site.  If one *is* needed, you may download it, but i'd recommend having someone who knows about computers flash the BIOS for you, as doing it wrong will make your computer inoperable.  

You may also need to download software drivers to install after Windows XP is up and running.  You may be able download these from the motherboard or computer manufacturers' Web sites as well.

Regards,
    Doc

« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 09:04:32 PM by pcdoc4christ »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 12:31:45 AM »
      MarleneD..... You shouldn't have to Flash the Bios . Before you install win xp , you should make sure that you have ( saved ) transfered anything from the hard drive that you  wish to save ...ie photos , your E mail contacts list .... possibly the setup info for your Email account as you will need these settings to set up the new mail account in XP ........
      Once you have done that ....shut down ....then restart .......and go into the setup ........press DEL ( I think) as its booting and change the boot sequence to do the first boot from the cd drive . then save that and exit setup ........put the xp disk in the cd drive . Now reboot ...... The Xp disk should now be trying to start ....you should be presented some options ......choose the one that lets you format the hard drive as NTFS .........You will see the warning that all info will be lost .....answer ok and let it continue ........it will look at the disk for any faults and then partition it as NTFS ......and begin to load XP .........
      be patient as it loads files .......It will begin to setup xp and will ask you to answer some questions and then ask you for the product key ........stay off - line until your finished loading .   Once you have XP loaded ........install your anti -virus .......... Now plug in your internet connection and open your antivirus and click on update .......once its done ........then you can go to M/S update and D/L and install all available updates ...you will see a box pop up down at the bottom asking you to activate windows ........you may do that now ....... I would suggest turning on auto updates as well .

Let us know how hour making out .

dl65  ::)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 12:33:03 AM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 05:31:13 AM »
      Is it as simple as going to the Add/Remove window and clicking to uninstall?  I need guidance as to what exact steps to take.  I'm planning on doing a "clean" install of Windows Xp and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.  After I install Windows XP, should I get updates from Windows right away?  And, I've read that before installing XP I have to make sure I have all the Current BIOS.  Is that only if you're doing an upgrade?
      Thanks  :)

It depends on what type of Windows XP you have bought.

1. A standalone full version (Often OEM)
      2. An upgrade version.

In case of Number 1 you may have to format your Hard Disk Drive first
      -- In this case I suggest you refer to the posts DL65 and PCDoc4Christ have made.

In case of Number 2 you will simply have to insert the Windows XP CD whilst in Windows 2000 and follow the onscreen instructions.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 01:20:56 PM »
      Load the winxp disk............make sure you are not connected to the net......winxp is prone for m$blaster etc
      winxp  will then ask you will delete the partition that contains winme..or if left alone winxp will ask you for another directory to load winxp c:\windows....c:\windows1 for example..........dual boot...........more info here
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000647.htm

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 08:30:19 PM »
        Thank you all for the advice!  I will keep you informed as I have not yet purchased Windows Xp. I think I will be ordering it soon.