Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drivers for ati graphics cards  (Read 27175 times)

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Drivers for ati graphics cards
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
Right now I hate ATI and when you get a new gpu get nvidia.  Ati has been just a horrible expirence so DONT get ati!

paudashlake

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »
    I have to agree, compruler.  They are worthless!  Updates are crappy, card has nothing left in it!
    Hinkle Finkle Dinkle Doo.  AMEN!! 

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »
    My card just doesnt work at all! I think ill bother customer support and annoy them just for the fun of it

paudashlake

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »
      Not for the fun of it.  TO GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!-------A FULL REFUND AND PRE-PAID SHIPPING!

NVIDIA FTW!

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 02:58:46 PM »
      DEATH TO AMD AND ATI!

paudashlake

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »
        and is fine!
        their gpus are just bad!

same thing with intel!
        good cpu
        bad gpu-Intel extreme graphics??

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »
        ATI is a Canadian company and anybody having issues  with their drivers is incompetent and unable to follow simple directions.

Seriously, when they say "UNINSTALL ALL PREVIOUS ATI DRIVER PRODUCTS", and you go right ahead and install your shiny new catalyst over your old- ATI Mach 2, and it doesn't work, so you phone up support, you tell them the story, and they say that they'll put you on hold while you look into it, what do you think they're really doing? They're either laughing or crying, because their dealing with a person completely incapable of reading simple instructions.

Here's the thing, if I was presupposed to take previous experience then I would NOT be using a nvidia at all. having, not 3, not 4, NOT 5, but 6 separate graphics cards all unfailingly Blue-Screen in the display driver says nothing for the stability of either the nvidia chipset or the reference or OEM drivers.

But guess what? I am. Admittedly the Nvidia was the only good AGP card at the store, but aside from that I also realized that there is more to getting the video to work then either the video drivers and the video card. A lot of computers have this thing called a "motherboard". It acts like the egg that holds the omelette together. Now, if you use bad eggs, you don't say, "I think this sausage is bad" you say, "these eggs taste like crap".

Why people have to pass judgement on an entire company based in their bad experience which stemmed directly as a result of their inability to read the INSTRUCTIONS IN CAPITAL LETTERS is beyond me, perhaps  ::) they thought the capitalization meant it wasn't important. Either way, it of course is not their fault, because they didn't make the graphics card, they only installed a new set of drivers over an old set, failed to follow proper ECD precautions and also didn't leave it properly seated. I mean, if that's not foul play by ATI, I don't know what is  ::)

On the topic of Drivers, ATI has ALWAYS had better drivers then Nvidia. the only caveat is that you need to uninstall the old version. this is a step far too many people forget. And they blame ATI for it.

Additionally, ATI is a Canadian company that employs Canadian workers, and unlike Paudashlake I applaud my countrymen for their successes in a typically U.S and japan dominated field of electronics, especially for their ability to stay afloat in the ubiquitous and constantly changing world of graphics hardware, regardless of how low their customers IQ is.

Actually, this is a similar issue to that that Microsoft faces every friggin' release.
        people say something like:

"program X no longer works on Windows Y. Windows Y sucks"

without realizing, or even knowing, that Program X never worked in the first place. FAR too many programs find some clever way of doing something by either relying on undocumented behaviour or depending on specific path locations. (windows 2000's default windows dir was C:\WINNT- guess how many programs that assumed C:\WINDOWS worked? Now guess how many people blamed W2K.). Of course- Microsoft changes this undocumented behaviour, and changes the implementation of their public APIs to match. If a program is written properly and following instructions provided by the MSDN, it runs fine on Vista. LUA was a consideration even with XP, and as long as a developer understood LUA and respected it on XP, their program would be able to deal with UAC.

But no- none of this was relevant. Microsoft was the company that literally ended up finding and fixing the bug. They basically asked the companies, *censored* were you thinking? Take note that these are BIG ticket programs, like Adobe photoshop, not some dinky little 8-th grader's Batch script). Why would MS care? Because they know what would happen otherwise.

1. person uses windows 98. purchases program X, which uses undocumented behaviour.

2. person upgrades to XP.

3. program X stops working. XP sucks.

same deal with Vista.

To summarize what I said above- STFU.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 06:33:27 PM »
        Um ati doesnt even have phone support.  You can look on their site for hours and you wont find any phone number.  If you ask me thats pretty bad that they dont even have phone support and you need to email them  (if they even have an email cause I couldnt find that either). The problem with email is you have to wait so long for people to respond too.  What if someone needs their computer for something important and theres a simple fix they could have solved over the phone but instead they had to use email and got fired or something becuase their computer didnt work? They have terrible support I am honestly very offended by the above post.  You are jumping to conclusions that we are stupid just because puadash's fan doesnt work and I cant install my drivers.  And I will ashure you that I did install my drivers right.  I uninstalled the old ones first and then restarted and attempted to install the new drivers.  Well that technique works every single time and it didnt this time.  So dont call me or puadash stupid just cause I cant install my drivers and puadashes fan wont work

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 06:36:10 PM »
        well, your pretty bad at looking through the site.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/AboutAMD/0,,51_52_3592,00.html

ATI merged with AMD, remember? They had the SAME PHONE NUMBER.

To summarize what I said above- STFU.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »
        I dont see any tech support number.  Thats just the number to the corpate office

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 06:38:14 PM »
        do I need to draw a picture?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »
        Apperntly.  Is the corprate office the same thing as tech support? Know its not.  Anyways I finally found it.  They really need to put that in a place where people can see.  And the link for that would be http://support.amd.com/us/contacts/Pages/GraphicsTechnicalSupport.aspx

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »
        Another thing I would like to add ( I know you wont see the edit) look at the times! Thats when a lot of people are just getting home from work! How are they supposed to call!

paudashlake

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »
          BC, what the *censored* is wrong with you?  You just got all mean all of the sudden!  Sorry!  We made a mistake!  We didn't know we needed to uninstall anything!  It doesn't tell us that anywhere!  Just chill!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 06:42:46 PM »
          here- try the technical support number, on the right.

And my fan stopped working on the 4th day I owned my current Nvidia card.

The reason you feel justified is called confirmation Bias.

[attachment deleted by admin]