Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple problems booting + gpu  (Read 3509 times)

STT414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Multiple problems booting + gpu
    « on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:42 AM »
    My computer stopped booting up today. I've been having problems for a long time now with my computer booting up, it would take multiple tries where I could hear the fans inside going at what seemed to be maximum speed, when this would happen it would stay powered on but stuck there, never loading the BIOS. I'd just force a restart until it worked, which I could detect easily as when it worked the fans would slow down right after it was powered on. Also for about a month now my monitor wouldn't receive a signal from my computer until the Vista loading screen comes up.

So the past few days I had noticed some issues with my GPU (evga geforce 7900gs ko) it started when I was playing a video game, the screen would get bright colored pixelated.. static I guess and I was able to just switch out of the game and it would be fine. Then it got to where just watching videos would cause problems, only with videos the display would just loose the signal for a second. Then I'd get an error from Vista saying there was a driver error (I had just installed the latest version).

Because of all this, I opened up my case this afternoon and thought I'd just clean off some parts, as it collects quite a bit of dust in there, hoping that would fix this. After cleaning off everything I could get to, I closed it back up and now it will not boot up at all. First it was just like before, getting stuck at the beginning with the fans going full speed, only after about 20 attempts I realized I probably wasn't going to get a good start. Eventually it stopped even going that far, after trying to boot the computer would shut itself down and the power button's light began blinking.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. I tried taking out the graphics card (my computer came with a crappy integrated card as well) to see if that was the issue. My only other theory is that it's the PSU. That's the only other part I've replaced since buying the computer. It seems that all the booting problems came shortly after I started using it.

My specs:
    eMachines T6524 (specs in link)
    Running Windows Vista x64 w/latest SP & Updates

My only modifications are an extra GB of RAM, an EVGA nVidia GeForce 7900GS KO, and Thermaltake PurePower W0070 430-Watt Power Supply with Dual Fans.

richiehughes

Rookie

Re: Multiple problems booting + gpu
      « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 06:12:52 AM »
      Could be that the new power supply is the problem.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:51:17 AM »
      The eMachines link shows no info about your machine.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

STT414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
        The eMachines link shows no info about your machine.
        Yes it does, just click the specifications link there in the page and it will expand, showing all the specs.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:58:07 PM »
        Playing that golf thingy will make you totally blind one day..... ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:04:17 PM »
        No it won't...
        At any rate what MBoard is in that eMachine ? ?
        Other than the PSU which you replaced my first suspect would be the MBoard.
        I wouldn't throw any more cash at this machine...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

STT414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 05:08:06 PM »
          Doesn't the image posted show you the Mobo? I figured chipset=motherboard. If it's not listed there, I don't know. And yes, I realize the computer is outdated, but I can't afford a new computer quite yet.

Amiman

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »
            2 things I am constantly replacing since 1982. Power supplies and CD/DVD drives.

Amiman

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:27:20 PM »
              you might try replacing your bios battery. But it really sounds like the power supply to me also. I just cleaned out my computer and found lots of junk clogging up the inside of my power supply so i took it apart and cleaned that out too. but if that's the case it's probably too late. You should get another PS that you can return, such as from Frys or such.

STT414

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 02:04:28 AM »
                Thanks for the replies everyone. I was able to find my old PSU that originally came with the desktop, and it still was not working. The only improvement was that it would startup and hang there indefinitely, and not powering off with the blinking power button.