Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Geting files off my old HDD externaly  (Read 3166 times)

James191

Geting files off my old HDD externaly
« on: April 20, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
This is my first post so let me start with the info about my PC and external drive enclosure.

PC:
Compaq
windows XP Media center addition 2005
3500+ AMD 64 Processor
1.0 GB memory
200GB HDD
Integrated ATI Radeon xpress 200
PCI express slot

Enclosure:
Coolmax HD-360-U2

Old HDD:
DeskStar IBM-DTLA-305020 20 GB (It has windows ME)

I am trying to get files off my old hard drive. The computer it was in had a power failure, so I took the HDD out and saved it. I put the drive in the coolmax enclosure that I bought, but when I plug it in via the USB port my PC downloaded some drivers
like it always does when I put new things in a USB port. I then went to look for the drive in My Computer and it was no where to be found. I can Find it in the Device Management section of the Computer management window though. I tried updating the driver but I still couldn't find it. When I look in the properties section of the drive it says "This device is working properly." When I populate the volume I get

Disk:                               Disk 5
Type:                              Basic
Partition Style:               Master Boot Record
Capacity:                        19619 MB
Unallocated space:         16MB       
Reserved space:             0 MB

Side note:
I was able to access the Drive when I connected it internally, but I couldn't get any of my USB or DVD R Drives to work with it to get the files off.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Geting files off my old HDD externaly
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »
Create a new folder on you new drive. Or, if you prefer, create a new partition.
For now, let's go with the new folder. You may need to unplug other devices to make the system more stable. The happens. Un plug completely the CD-ROM. In fact, put the drive on that cable, if it is that type of drive.
Now you should be able to open the drive with Windows Explorer and just copy files to the new drive. Avoid using move, The are issues with moving lots of files between two drives and we don;t want that hassle now.
If you run into problems, try moving smaller hunks. Patio said there is a 2GB limit on the copy in Windows Explorer.Or something to that effect. Most of the stuff you want is the the My Documents section of the user you named on the old machine. Look in Documents and settings. Maybe called James' Documents.

IME old hard drives put a burden of the power supply and the IDE interface. I am not sure why, but I just unplug drives that are not needed during the copy process.
When you are done with the copy, power down, you knew that, and put things back the way they were. Power up and you can start making copies of you old stuff to a DVD-R. Never use DVD-RW. Unless it is photos of you mother-in-law. (Just joking. Ha Ha)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Geting files off my old HDD externaly
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 06:48:34 AM »
Slave Drive Tutorial

How does it show up in Disk Management ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage then Disk Management....
Right clik the drive ...select Properties and report back with your findings.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "