Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista -Accidentally shut down during config.file update  (Read 4181 times)

wildchld97

Topic Starter

There was a BIG message warning me not to shut the computer down during the update of some configuration files.  Apparently my ferrets didn't read the message and they ran across the power cord and the computer shut down.

When I restarted the computer I guess it tried to fix the problem, but a message informed me that it couldn't fix it automatically.  I tried hitting F8, but it still couldn't do a restore.  I tried running through that process several times. No luck.  Just a blue screen...no windows...nothing.

This was a brand new computer and I'm panicking.  Is there anything I can do or try before I have to take it into the shop?  I don't have a lot of money and I'd like to avoid that possibility. 

At least I have my old dinosaur computer as a back up...but it's really slow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Mean People Suck

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Windows Vista -Accidentally shut down during config.file update
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:59:36 PM »
    Contain your ferrets when you get updates!!

If it's brand new, it should still be under warranty. Can you take it back?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »
    Don't be hard on the ferrets.
    Brand new computers have warranties. You can call the manufacture and report this as a problem.

I my opinion, as a consumer, this is not admissible in a brand new computer. A brand new computer should not have to have am Update. At least, not an update that is potentially destructive.

To illustrate the concept here. Suppose you just bought a new motorcycle. The store tells you to bring it back for an update to the engine. Then you pick it up and they say that you have to let the engine run for one hour on the road or something bad will happen. Imagine the uproar if that did happen to 100 new cycle owners in one week!

But if you don't make nnoise, they will not care about your problem. Let them know that that was a very bad thing and the blaame should not fall on you.

Window Vista has enough techology built into it thaht this should be preventable. Otherwise, every new Vista PC should have a a label:

WARNING Warrenty void     
        If  used in house with Ferrets. 

IMHO

wildchld97

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:19:25 AM »
      Well, the computer was a gift from my kids for christmas...I'm hoping that maybe they were smart enough to save the receipt....I'll do my darnest to see if I can get this fixed under warranty.  I'm surprised that I didn't think of that first.  I guess panick can do that. LOL. 

Other than that..I'm pretty much screwed though right?  :-[
      Mean People Suck

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:24:09 AM »
      no.

if you just got it, and there isn't very much of your information that you want to recover, you might be able to perform a system recovery using the "restore" partition, which most manufacturers put on the drive.

F12 as the computer boots (but before it tries to load windows) will usually bring up a prompt asking which to boot from. Usually, your OS drive, as well as the OS partition will be listed. use the process if elimination to determine which.

Once your in, just follow the prompts to restore the PC to it's factory fresh condition. Note that all data added since you got it, Programs and so forth, will be lost.

Sometimes this will be a Recovery CD or DVD.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.