Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ethernet controller not configured correctly  (Read 5897 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
ethernet controller not configured correctly
« on: April 25, 2009, 04:02:54 PM »
This is for my Dell Pentium 4, windows XP, back-up machine, not the machine in my specs / signature.

I tried connecting to the internet after re-installing XP but get a message "internet explorer cannot display the web page". When I click on the option "Diagnose connection Problems" it says "Windows could not detect any wired or wirless network card installed on your machine. Please make sure the network card drivers are installed properly".
I went to device manager and in 'Ethernet controller properties'  > 'General Tab' it says, "This device is not configured correctly (code 1). When I click on 'Reinstall Driver' the wizard cannot find it automatically, even with the Dell CD that came with the computer that says 'drivers' in the drive.
I installed another network card (PCI) that I had with the same results. I tried downloading the driver for the (PCI) card to my other machine then burned to disk and installed on this machine = no connection / same error in device manager. It's probably something simple so what am I missing?
BTW Device manager also shows to have a problem with "Multimedia Audio Controller", = "The drivers for this device are not installed".

Thanks,
Mike

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: ethernet controller not configured correctly
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »
Try another PCI slot...

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:53:08 AM »
thanks Broni. That was the answer I needed. As I was about to take the PCI card out of the slot, I noticed it was not fully plugged in although the retaining screw was in ect. I pushed it further into the slot and it started working. I still don't know what happened to the onboard network adapter but I guess it doesn't really matter now.  :)?

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
Nice job :)
On-board network adapters do go bad :(