Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with a web page...  (Read 3513 times)

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Need help with a web page...
    « on: April 30, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
    This may not be important in the overall scheme of things, but it bothers me no end. I'm not very proficient when it comes to browsers and the web. I use FireFox 2.0, on a dial-up connection and a homepage that is basically a news, weather, sports type. The top part of the page has a section that is divided into the above categories. It cycles each category to the forefront to briefly, very briefly, show its content, then switches to the next category. You can stop this, with the function keys below it, but this switching does not work well with my dial-up. There seems to be a conflict with the timing and it "hangs" after a short time, almost like it's confused as to where it's supposed to go next. Is there anyway to disable this function within the browser?  I would like to move from one section to the next, on my own terms. There doesn't appear to be any help from the pages' owners.
    I was able to set the length of time that the entire page refreshes itself, but not this. Below is a link to the page.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

http://en.canoe.ca/home.html

Note...Please don't suggest the newest FireFox, as it does not support my ISPs  accelerator.

Mind Computer Products
    Intel Celeron 1.80GHz
    1 GB Ram
    WinXP Home / SP2
    Mainboard ECS P4VMM2
    S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    Vinyl AC'97 Audio
    AVG free, Spybot, Ad-aware, RegCure, SUPERAntiSpyware
    CCleaner, HyJackthis, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Need help with a web page...
    « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:53:36 AM »
    The top part of the page has a section that is divided into the above categories. It cycles each category to the forefront to briefly, very briefly, show its content, then switches to the next category.
    You're referring to the upper left part of the page, right?  You have a Pause and Play button there, so I don't see the issue here.
    You can stop this, with the function keys below it, but this switching does not work well with my dial-up. There seems to be a conflict with the timing and it "hangs" after a short time, almost like it's confused as to where it's supposed to go next.
    I think you may not be able to resolve this on a dialup connection.  That website is a very busy one; I mean the home page is loaded with stuff.  Do you have any high-speed/broadband Internet services in your area?

By the way, your version of Firefox is quite old.  Why haven't you updated it?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:17:55 AM »
    DSL Reports

Simply enter your Zip Code to find providers and pricing....you may be suprised that some are probably close to what you are paying...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »
      Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm in northern Canada. No ZIP codes here. No luxuries here. I did have a satellite down-ink once, but the provider had to discontinue it years ago. They could not justify sending repair techs on a 800 kilometer trip to my area. Not cost effective. No high-speed/broadband Internet services. I was just hoping this was something like flash oriented. I guess I'll have to find a new homepage. Thanks anyways.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »
      Post codes i believe will work as well...
      Some small providers don't even advertise so even though you may be remote it still may be available...

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:44:50 PM »
        Post codes i believe will work as well...

Sadly, they do not. Only U.S. addresses. I'm in the process on searching for a list for this country. I'm sure it will be short, if it exists. Thanks Patio.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 06:09:21 AM »
        Good luck in your search...

TorrentIt

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
          DSL Reports

Simply enter your Zip Code to find providers and pricing....you may be suprised that some are probably close to what you are paying...

I Agree,
          Or Just Try To Find Out,
          How To Change It
          I Suggest NON DialUP
          I Suggest High Speed,
          If i were you Id Get high Speed,
          Unless your In The Middle Of No Where,

Good Luck~

TorrentIt©
          TorrentIt©

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 12:18:49 PM »
            Unless your In The Middle Of No Where
            I'm not just in the middle of nowhere...I'm about 120 miles up nowheres' a$$!