Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win3.1 won't recognize my Cd drive. Help!  (Read 28378 times)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Win3.1 won't recognize my Cd drive. Help!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 06:43:43 PM »
I could only read your first sentence, Squall.

Anyways, what about those large CDs? You know, the black ones that spin around with a needle.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »
    sorry that was supposed to be didnt.  You mean a record, they were only the base to creat cd's.  Soon you'll have them like in MNB
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 07:06:52 PM »
    Did the Topic Starter get his answer?
    He wants to read a CD using the dos he has fore windows 3.1 install.
    You can take certain files from a Windows 98 boot floppy and copy them to another version of DOS and it should work.
    I know it works for dos 6.22, because I have it here and it works find with the relevant files from a Windows 98 boot floppy.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »
      he has, I knew with dos 6.22 it would work.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 12:13:50 AM »
      my dad said that the only way to move files were with floppies.  I figured that it was the only way cause I did go threw that like youd's.  He had.

What the h*ll are you blathering about now? What has moving files got to do with CD drives in Windows 3.1? PS it's"through" for the 101st time.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 01:04:10 AM »
      You mean a record, they were only the base to creat cd's. 
      Oh, you know!

I don't know what 'creat' means, but records are NOTHING like CDs. CDs (compact discs, fyi) use optical technology. Record players use groove technology.

What the h*ll are you blathering about now?
      How else do you think he managed 4000+ posts? ::)

Dias de verano

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 01:56:17 AM »
      I remember WORM (Write Once, Read Many times) drives which cost an arm and a leg, and which we now call "CD-R drives". This was 1982. So shut up Squall.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 03:25:51 AM »
        uh.... yes I'm not that young.  Its another way for him to move data.  Why else try an add it to something like that.  I was six years in front of youd's.  No there not but records share the bases for the cd technology. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 09:01:18 AM »
        uh.... yes I'm not that young. 
        no clue what your referencing.

Its another way for him to move data.

Assuming you mean CD-ROMs... NO. IT. IS. NOT.

what does CD-ROM stand for? Compact Disc Read-Only Memory. how does read-only memory help MOVE files?

Why else try an add it to something like that. 
        Not sure what your responding to.

No there not but records share the bases for the cd technology. 

assuming your trying to say that records share the "base" for CD technology, they do not. they are not even close, except perhaps for the fact that they both are a disc shape (of course if one uses that as the basis for such logic we may as well say that hard discs are based on the same technology as frisbees).

a Compact Disc stores data using Pits and flats; the pits and flats can represent ANYTHING from music, to any form of data that can be stored in digital form.

a LP/Record, on the other hand, is used exclusively for music playback. the grooves in the disc are followed by the needle, which responds to the topography presented to each side of the needle by playing back the recording- this is analog, not digital.

According to: http://www.computerhope.com/help/cdrom.htm

Cd's were released in 1982 and started becoming popular in the late 80's and early 90's.
        Windows 3.1 was released in 1992 so there has to be ways to get it to recognize CD's.

True, the Red Book Audio CD standard was published in 1982- but, I don't believe any CD-drives existed for PCs until after the creation of CD-ROM. Not sure about WORM drives in 1982 that adds a fuzz factor to the whole jig. I guess the yellow book was a Draft spec?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 09:18:49 AM »
          That I can only go by what he told me from his days.  Yes it is he is only allowed to put data on once but he can copy it over then.  The cd drive.  Lets remove records then, how do you think cd's would spin and read.  Exatly it built off of the concept. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 09:22:34 AM »
          Yes it is he is only allowed to put data on once but he can copy it over then.
          *sigh*.

a CD-ROM drive is *NOT* a CD-R drive. if you want to STORE data on it you'll need a half-million dollar CD-ROM stamper (or whatever they are called...).

The cd drive.  Lets remove records then, how do you think cd's would spin and read.  Exatly it built off of the concept. 

Ahh, I see the logic- CD's spin, and so do frisbees. therefore, CD technology MUST be based on frisbees! It's so clear to me now!  ::)
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 09:28:10 AM »
            no ,no forget it then if your going to not take this seriously then maybe I need to talk with the admin or not be here at all.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 09:38:41 AM »
            No, let me look at this...there may be some similarities, ironically, beyond the obvious ones...   :)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 09:39:54 AM »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
            On a more serious note: Squall, you got your facts wrong. Period. Perhaps you should take this more seriously and do your homework before giving us false information.