Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ASUS Eee Keyboard to launch by end of June  (Read 9306 times)

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: ASUS Eee Keyboard to launch by end of June
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 09:38:30 AM »
I'm leaning towards you on this although I'd like to see some reviews when it's actually released. If done properly they could potentially be on to something for those people who want to simply have an Internet computer up in their kitchen or something similiar.

I can think of a lot better option than this for that though. The screen is entirely too small to be of any real use. Image how small a web page would be on that size of a screen, and even if you zoom the amount of scrolling you would have to do to view everything. You might as well get an iPAQ or something similar and a Bluetooth keyboard. At least then it would be usable on the go as well, as the Eee keyboard doesn't have a battery. Even the screen size would be the same and it would still be a touch screen. I just can't think of any practical use for a device like this.

The position of the screen to the right (or even if it were on the left) is completely unnatural and would be a pain in the neck (literally) after a short period of use. If the screen were larger and in the center (as it should be) it would just be a laptop, so why not by a laptop? If you plug in an external monitor to the Eee keyboard, you might as well just get a laptop or a small form factor PC.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »
I tend to agree with Quaxo on this...a waste of time and resources...
However there are enough Housewives and teens that will gobble up the first models so it could still be a commercial success...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 02:34:12 PM »
I would hope / imagine that an external display could be connected to the keyboard, in which case it'd be like a regular computer except that the computer would be in the keyboard. If that was the case you wouldn't have to use the display on the keyboard and it's likely it could be use for alternative means.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 03:03:29 PM »
ship in June with specs that should include a 32GB SSD, 802.11n, Bluetooth, HDMI-out, stereo speakers and mic

HDMI out is video, correct?

Have you all forgotten from whence we came??

My first computer had a forty megabyte hard drive, and it was two to four times larger than anyone else's I knew at the time.

I'm usually the one who grouses and complains about stuff, so I guess my complaint is:  When the heck did the rest of you become so jaded and cynical? 

Is it an 'uber' system?  No, of course not -- it's the first step toward something else -- just as the Commodore was a first step toward what we have today.

It's light-years beyond the Commodore 64, and I almost admire the laziness of people who compare the two -- when there was a time we were "geeked" to have a Commodore 64. 

I'm not stating you have to even like it just because it exists, but to call it a waste of time and resources?  Please...

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 10:47:59 PM »
I think that display would be a good place for a touch-pad.