Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Difference?  (Read 2772 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

CPU Difference?
    « on: May 26, 2009, 03:43:46 AM »
    I have a 2.8 ghz cpu that I can move to another machine given that this one will work.  The site is haveing a sale I wondered if there is a differnce between a 3 ghz cpu and one that is 3E ghz.  Does it allow more threads an how do I know if my board will support such a thing.  Not hyperthearding.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: CPU Difference?
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:28:21 AM »
    Could you give us a link?
    I believe the E would either denote hyper-threading or a faster bus.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:36:00 AM »
      yes, it seems like a good enough of a deal for what I would be useing it for.  http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P43000E478&cat=CPU  I wanted to switch the one in my gaming machine with this one. 
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:39:12 AM »
      That's a Pentium 4 socket 478, Prescott core.  The E means it supports Hyper-Threading and has an 800MHz FSB, rather than 533, as well as 2MB of L2 cache rather than 1MB.
      Be sure your cooling can handle it, those chips run hot  ;)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:43:33 AM »
        I got a large heatsink but not sure if the board will support it ether since its a prescott http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/se7210tp1-e/

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:46:53 AM »
        This link will give you the supported processors.
        Using this list of P4 processors from Wikipedia, you can match that processor on Geeks to four different CPU codes (SL7E4, SL7KB, SL7PM, SL79L), all of which are supported by that board.
        Hope this helps.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:51:32 AM »
          ummmmmmm.......... sadly now cause I dont get any of that an just want to know if it will handle it being a prescott, also I see that it will run a celeron D would that be better to get?  I dont have any thing in terms of heatsink that would probably work with it though just wondered for sake of speed if its good priced as well.  ;)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:12:44 AM »
          OK ... that board will support that processor, yes.
          A Celeron D would be worse in terms of performance.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:31:27 AM »
             ???  It would be??????  I thought that its the equilvent of a pentium d and the start of daul core?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 12:15:28 PM »
            Nope.
            The Celeron D is a Celeron with a little more cache ... it's better than an equivalent Celeron but not as good as a P4.
            Pentium D was completely different.
            The naming is definitely confusing.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »
            Just keep in mind where the Celeron came from- as a Low-cost alternative to some of Intel's pentium processors. As such they are also stripped down. I believe that is still true.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »
              from what I still know of, I know why do that?