Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New webber  (Read 9005 times)

Mulreay

New webber
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:32:16 PM »
Where do I get my domain name from? I know this is a simple answer to all you guy's but I need to be careful. I have many programmes telling me how to start and they all want money but I would like to know from you guys. I can't start without a domain so I'm told.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: New webber
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:33:15 PM »
well, if you want to get your feet wet with making a web page, I'd start with a free hosting site. 110mb.com is a good one.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:36:47 PM »
Thanks BC

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 03:30:09 AM »
110mb.com doesn't actually give out "domain names" for free though, just so you know.

For paid hosts,
Check out GoDaddy, Yahoo Hosting, Blue Host, and more....

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 07:48:45 AM »
Cheers KPac

ImnoGuru

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:04:21 AM »
    Excuse me Mulreay, may I ask a question of kpak or BC_Programmer?

Does it always cost something to get/make a web page then?

What if it doesnt work out the way you want can you let the page/website die?
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:09:11 AM »
    Does it always cost something to get/make a web page then?

Here are examples, "yourwebsite" actually being your site:
    You will pay for a website with this address: http://www.yourwebsite.com/
    You won't usually pay for a website with this address http://yourwebsite.someoneelseswebsite.com/

What if it doesnt work out the way you want can you let the page/website die?

If you have a free website, usually the provider has the option to remove your account, which will likely delete the site also.

Usually for payed web-hosts, you "sign" a contract for a month, 6 months, a year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, etc, and until that time comes, your site will be available to anyone who wants to view. Of course, there are ways to prevent anyone looking at it, but that's another story. :)

Mulreay

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:34:06 AM »
    Oh don't leave us there KPac what's the other story about not letting people see your website?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
    well- If I an to extrapolate what he meant,(regarding a third party preventing others from viewing the site) he was referring to Denial of Service Attacks. The Basic Idea is somebody with too much time on their hands, who has control of thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of "Zombie" PCs could set all of those PCs to the task of doing something- for example, pinging the web-site, sending fake packets to it's main HTTP port- or even sending page requests to it, and then setting the return address to some other site they want to disrupt. (the return address is in the packet).

So, if the bad guy knows two sites they want to disrupt, they can direct their "army" to send page requests to Site1, and the packets can have the address of Site2. So Site1, believing it's a valid request, generates the HTML and sends it along to site2, which has absolute no idea where this response came from, but still needs to devote resources to handling it. The basic idea is the overwhelm them with so much data that legitimate users of the site time-out, thus, they are "denied service".

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
    Ah I heard of stories about this. Is this why a lot of sites have the jumbled letter/number combos I forget the tech name. But to stop anyone other than an a human entering the site. But then again even these I've heard are not infallable.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »
    well-no. I take it, by "jumbled letter/number" stuff, you mean Captcha? That more or less to prevent spam posts in forums, and blog entries.

As an example, take ComputerHope.com. in order to connect, the browser connects to www.computerhope.com via HTTP, on port 80. HTTP is a protocol, of course, and is basically a "communication language" that both the server (CH) and the client(our PCs) will interpret. for example, our PCs send an HTTP get to the Server asking for a URL, the server interprets it and gives us back a page. The basic idea of what I described earlier was that the hacker does is "engineers" HTTP get requests, sends them to one server, and specifies in the request that the requesting client is actually some other server.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »
    LOL, BC I wasn't talking about DDoS attacks! I meant a simple .htaccess file in the site's root directory! But thanks for explaining that anyway. ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 12:51:53 PM »
    LOL, BC I wasn't talking about DDoS attacks! I meant a simple .htaccess file in the site's root directory! But thanks for explaining that anyway. ;D

OK, but come on, that's nowhere near as exciting!

Mulreay

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »
    I think I get it now. So it confuses the website into thinking that another server is requesting the page and repeats this continuous through 'zombie pc's' making the site use up lots of memory dealing with these multiple requests effectively disabling the site's ability to deal with real traffic. I'm probably missing the point but I think I understand what your saying. Just out of interest and I'm sorry to take up your time BC but 'Zombie PC's' thats a new term to me. I assume it's something along the line of multiple IP addresses or something but thats a long shot. Also KPac can you explain what you said. Thanks guy's sorry to be a bother.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 01:11:18 PM »
    I'll let BC do the first but. ;D

But, about htaccess. I'd recommend not even thinking about it, especially if you're just starting out with HTML and website building. But, if you really, really, really want me to, I will give you some links to explain it. It mightn't, and probably won't be any use to you - it isn't with most average websites - anyway.