Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! 1 comp is connected to internet but another comp won't connect  (Read 2117 times)

CWard

I have a desktop computer connected to the internet via a broadband connection (using a Motorola Surfboard Modem & a DLink router). Yesterday I set up another desktop comp (using Windows XP) and connected the ethernet cord to the back of the tower. I had trouble getting the Internet to work, went through the various troubleshooting steps, and somehow (probably just dumb luck) got the Internet te work. A little while later I lost the connection and cannot get it back. 1st I called Gateway for help - they said the IP address was invalid and I needed to call the Internet Service Provider. I called Cox and they said the problem is with the router.  (Again, the other computer is hooked up to the same router and having no problems). Of course the router is no longer covered for technical support. I went to their webpage for help and tried a few things that did not work. Help!?!

midsail

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Help! 1 comp is connected to internet but another comp won't connect
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »
    Hello
    Try opening a command prompt. Type ipconfig /all This will give or might give u some information like a IP Address, gateway write down the infor and compare with the working PC. Next in the command prompt type the following ip address 127.0.0.1 This is a loop back address to your NIC. If u recieving any packets the NIC is working. If u did not get any packets the NIC is bad. Write back and let us the results. Just for piece of mind did u try a different cable patch cable?