Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to install on partitioned drive...  (Read 2502 times)

Tmenary

Trying to install on partitioned drive...
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:53:35 PM »
A while ago my laptop died on me, but a friend was able to get it up and running again, replacing my old Vista with XP. Runs faster, and I've got several partitions on the hard drive.

Problem is, the F drive seems to be set as the main drive where installation files are getting, uh, installed -- and there's only 55MB of 3GB free on the drive. My C drive, however, has loads of space free.

I've been able to direct as many setup files as I can to C rather than F, but software like Quicktime and iTunes is causing problems. Even though I'm asking it to install to C, it apparently still needs 150MB of free space on the F drive as well. No idea why, and there's no way I can change the destination drive from F -- even though I already chose C.

Basically, I need to direct EVERYTHING from F to C -- setup files, installation files, the lot.

I hope that's clear... so, um... help, please?

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Trying to install on partitioned drive...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:15:09 PM »
Do you have your windows CD?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Trying to install on partitioned drive...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:28:14 PM »
More info on the size of the drive...how many partitions and why...and remaining free space on each partition and someone will be along shortly.
Personally i would back up what i needed...do a wipe and start over.
It sounds as if it wasn't set up properly to begin with and you will most likely continue to have issues from here on.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "