Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Worst virus you've ever had on your computer  (Read 8797 times)

delibrete

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Fail
    Worst virus you've ever had on your computer
    « on: June 14, 2009, 09:43:40 AM »
    What is the worst virus you have ever had on your computer?

Describe what the name of the virus was, if you know how you got the virus, what the virus did and, if so, how you got rid you the virus.

Thanks
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Worst virus you've ever had on your computer
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:50:41 AM »
    you should have put your post in ( other )

cat-bomb

Beginner
      • Insert Website Here
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:26:46 AM »
    I almost had a virut infection once but my pc tolls firewall+ (witch block apps from modifying apps) stopped it from doing anything before it could harm me  ;D.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »
    I almost had a virut infection once but my pc tolls firewall+ (witch block apps from modifying apps) stopped it from doing anything before it could harm me  ;D.

I think you have the wrong impression of Virut. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphic_code

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »
      What if were not really sure?  I know that I constinlly get new pages at times on IE.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

hot dog

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
      On my computer?.....or someone elses' that I was working on?

I think the worst for me was a worm (don't know the exact name).
      I did a fresh install of Windows XP on my mom's computer and she had a dial-up connection and she was not behind a hardware firewall...

The installation CD that came with her computer is plain Windows XP Home CD, without any service packs....Security Center (with Windows Firewall) for Windows XP didn't come until Service Pack 2 was released...

So we've got here, a fresh Windows XP Home installation, with a basic 56k modem connection with no firewall enabled.......

After the installation was complete (several times), as soon as I connected to the internet to get the XP updates, within seconds the computer automatically restarted because of a worm infecting the system as a result of having no firewall enabled....I reinstalled multiple times until I figured out that a worm was messing up the works...The solution:  Reinstall XP, and BEFORE connecting to the internet for updates..Install a third-party firewall, temporarily........I used PC TOOLS firewall, until Service Pack 2 (at least) was installed.

Once the PC TOOLS firewall was installed, I could get the updates no problem.....I know I could have installed Service Pack 2 from an installation ISO, but I didn't have an option to make a CD, at the time.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 01:35:05 AM »
      being behind a router solves that whole problem, as well, BlockHead.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hot dog

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 06:25:43 AM »
      I did a fresh install of Windows XP on my mom's computer and she had a dial-up connection and she was not behind a hardware firewall...

I'm aware of that BC  ;)             That was sort of included in my story

and with the open source firewall, she wouldn't have to buy a router... don't cha think?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:04:24 AM »
      at the same time a software firewall is easily circumvented by trojans that do manage to get on. a hardware firewall isn't.

hot dog

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 01:17:36 PM »
      at the same time a software firewall is easily circumvented by trojans that do manage to get on. a hardware firewall isn't.

ok, so next time this happens and the software firewall doesn't work, I'll consider either a hardware firewall or having Service Pack 2 (minimum) ready on a CD, after the installation is complete..........that is, if windows firewall is up to the task  :P

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 12:34:12 PM »
        So far I can say that I had a TSR on my Gaming PC when I was still new with it.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »
        TSR's aren't necessarily bad... Not to mention they haven't existed since pure DOS...

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »
          my machine wouldnt have stopped rebooting, as much as I know.

paudashlake

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »
            I intentionally downloaded Antivirus 2009.  I was reformatting my pc in a few minutes, so I thought what the heck, lets see what it does.  Turns out when I installed it and restarted, it deleted a file that was needed for windows to boot.  I can't remember the file, but it WAS important!  haha
            Hinkle Finkle Dinkle Doo.  AMEN!! 

Mulreay

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 08:27:47 PM »
            I can't remember the exact name because it's no-longer in my quarantine. It was some sort of adware, malicious pile of garbage. Every 5mins or so it would bring up a little box just above the notification area saying that I had not completed registration/paid a bill...

Billsystem something it was called now I think. And the box would not go away, you clicked on the little x on the top right then a pop came up on your screen saying pay this money now Blah blah. I phoned Norton and they were so kind to offer me a £49 charge to remove it... love those guy's. 2 day's later I updated Norton and it got automatically removed. Cheeky so and so's!

Not exactly a virus but enough to make you want to kick the creaters *censored* into the next millenium!