Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: monitor display wiggling/vibrating  (Read 21645 times)

Gizmologist

Beginner

Re: monitor display wiggling/vibrating
    « Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
    OK guys, mea culpa.

Most of the folks I deal with are comfortable around high voltage components/power supplies. I should not have advised opening the unit to someone who may not have the same comfort or experience level.

My apologies.

neelchauhan

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »
    I have a older monitor and it works. Try changing your monitor, even if it is CRT.

pjhocking

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »
      I'm sorry, my current monitor is not an LCD; it's the older style (very large and heavy).  Since the problem seems to be better, I will keep using my current monitor for now.  I was only contemplating a new one because of the size screen; I do a lot of work on the computer.

I guess I am a little concerned that I started having problems and was worried about losing my monitor and not having a clue what to do.  Thank you all for your help.  I will research the suggested site for cards and monitors.  I don't know what the memory is on my current video card; does the number 128 mean anything?

pjhocking

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 12:13:56 PM »
        I am also running Windows XP.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 01:02:42 PM »
        I was only contemplating a new one because of the size screen; I do a lot of work on the computer.
        In that case, you would probably find a widescreen monitor to be quite an improvement in working with your computer.  A 19" widescreen or 22" widescreen would give you a lot more screen space to work with and perhaps to display two application windows side by side. 

Dual monitors is another option I'm sure you'd like very much.  To run dual monitors, your video card must support two monitors.  I run two monitors off an eVGA GeForce FX 5500 (256MB of memory) card; it has both a VGA port and a DVI port.  I have an 17" CRT and a 19" LCD monitor connected to it.

I don't know what the memory is on my current video card; does the number 128 mean anything?
        Per http://ati.amd.com/products/rage128pro/aiw128pro/specs.html, I believe it only has 32MB of memory.  One way to verify the amount of memory is to run dxdiag.  To do this, click on Start, Run, and type dxdiag in the box.  Wait for this utility to execute and then select the Display part of it's report to see some details on your video card.

pjhocking

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »
          Thank you.  According to the results of dxdiag, it says "Approx. Total Memory - 16 MB"  Is that enough for a new monitor?  I like the idea of two monitors, other than taking up desk space, but it would allow much more working platform.   Hmmm..

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »
          It's pretty lame. I would not want to attempt to use a larger monitor or dual monitors with it.  You'd notice a huge improvement with something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130465

pjhocking

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
            Thank you.  Also, thanks for the Newegg site; it's awesome.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »
              Once you go to an LCD you will wonder why you waited to change. My recommendation would be to go to the 22 in (if you have the space) as the prices have dropped so much you can almost get a 22 for the price of a 17. However as stated you will need to upgrade the video card--but they are also not expensive unless you are chasing the technology curve. I should follow my own advice. I recently picked up a e-GeForce 8600GT (which is far superior to anything i have in any of my computer) and i haven't even taken it out of the box yet. Ah well so much to do and so little time to do it. Great to see your not wiggling and vibrating anymore that could get tiring. ;D truenorth

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 10:10:02 PM »
              I see newegg.com has $5 discount and free shipping in effect on http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130465 now, a change from the regular price and normal shipping fee which was in effect just yesterday (6/19/09) and prior.  These special offers sometimes last a short time, so better get that card soon if interested.