Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What do you like in a computer case?  (Read 7639 times)

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
What do you like in a computer case?
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:54:56 AM »
Just thought this may make an interesting topic to discuss.
Basically, what do you like in a case?
I don't mean what hardware ... just the case itself, e.g. material, weight, size, any special features, and so on.

Please also explain, if you can, why you like whatever you say.
Also I understand some people like different features for different reasons, for example you may want something in a server case but not in a HTPC case, so feel free to discuss different features for different applications.

I'll start this off.
I like a big, heavy case, steel or aluminium.  Gives me a feeling of quality and solidity, I hate flimsy cases but love "tanks".  This ha to extend throughput the case - a power button with a good solid "click" is a plus for me.
I like lots of cooling and expandability.  Lots of fan spots are a mujst, even if I don't use them all.  Expandability for me means lots of drive bays and expansion slots.
I like built in dust filters, because I hate dust and the dust filters you can buy don't always work (my 120mm filters wouldn't fit on my Antec 900 because of the fan mounts).
I like a really classic look, very plain.
I like tool-free cases, with thumbscrews and rails.  Much more convenient to work on, as long as the construction is solid - bad tool-free cases just mean things fall out.  I don't mind some things needing screws, like fans, but tool free drive bays are great.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:30:31 AM by Calum »

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: What do you like in a computer case?
    « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:10:27 AM »
    It depends on the build, I like show but the ones with the side fan I dont care too much for.  I have one like it but to keep airflow right it has to sit closer too me an I dont use it all that much.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

SmittySr

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 07:05:22 AM »
      I am picky about the rear I/O (expansion slot) covers. I don't like the ones that are breakaway. I like them to be secure and easily replaceable. I think that is one of the first things I look at. I am also not to fond of the ones held in by the little plastic locks. Those are definitely not secure. 

Good front back airflow is a must. keeping cool air moving across all the hardware is important to me.

I also agree with Calum, it is important for a case not to be flimsy.
      « Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:25:24 AM by SmittySr »

Aardobard

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
        « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:09:55 AM »
        Great thread Calum!

Looks: I like understated, simple design.  If it needs some shazaam, I'll take care of that.
        Accessibility: removable or swing out mobo trays are a plus, but just being able to have access to the innards is essential.  I hate having to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to set a mounting screw into place because there isn't any room.  As Calum suggested, good toolless designs are a joy.
        Airflow: Needs to be good 'cause it's going to get hot in there.
        Layout: Why isn't BTX more popular? I'm a fan of bottom-mounted PSU's.  Modular HDD cages help increase airflow.  Crannies and nooks for cable management are a must.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:17:26 AM »
        Re: SmittySr's post:
        The expansion slot covers?  Yeah, I know what you mean, I wasn't really a fan of the tool-free locks on my Coolermaster Elite 330, it was a hassle trying to get the cards to stay still while I locked it down and it didn't seem very secure.  With a larger video card I get the feeling it may have just broken free.
        The plates held down properly by screws, that don't just break off, are the best.  I like the plates themselves to be solid too - they're there to cover the slot, so why make them with holes in "to increase airflow"?  If removing them helped with airflow, they wouldn't be there in the first place, am I right?

To Aardobard - thanks, glad you like the thread.
        Looks like we agree on several points here too, a thread like this is great because it reminds people of other things they like.
        I love bottom mounted PSUs too - my current case mounts the PU either top or bottom, and has a plate to mount 2 80mm fans where the PSU isn't.  Dual PSU mounts give you more flexibility, especially if your cables are short (I think PSU cables should be longer) but if it's a choice between top or bottom, I'd pick a bottom mounted PSU every time.
        The BTX form factor is nice, my case supports ATX or BTX which I like (not that I'm likely to use BTX because it's so uncommon).  I was all hyped up about it when it was first announced but there's been little to no progress on it unfortunately.
        Modular HD bays are great, hot swappable ones would be even better.
        I'd love a modular PSU, but can't afford a new one yet, so cable management is a little difficult.  I tend to stuff all my cables at the bottom of the case if possible - my layout's quite clean for the amount of cables I have, but "proper" cable management needs more holes and nooks to hide them away than I have.

SmittySr

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:45:59 AM »
          I agree with squall_01 I am not a big fan of side fans. I like the idea of lots of air moving into the front and out of the back. I seems like the fans on the side just seem to interupt the air flow out of the back.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:57:05 AM »
          Not everyone needs a side fan, it depends on your other fans and your hardware.
          I'm running with no side fan at the minute because my side vent isn't above anything that produces heat.  My old case's side vent was above my graphics card, as it was single slot I used the side fan as exhaust to remove the hot air.  If I was still using my old case I'd have the side fan as intake now, because my graphics card now has an aftermarket dual slot cooler.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:18:34 AM »
          Looks: I like black cases. Matches the rest of my stuff (monitor, mouse, keyboard, G13). I'm a bit annoyed by cases with a door over the bays, especially when the power switch is behind the door instead of on the front of the case where it's easier to get to. I don't care if it has audio jacks on the front, I paid a lot of money for my sound system (7.1 surround) and never use head phones on my desktop. USB ports on the front are a necessity for me as well, as I'm always plugging stuff in. It doesn't have to look fancy, doesn't have to have windows in the side or pretty lights.

Ventilation: Proper front and rear vents with room for good sized fans. With my current case, the side vent doesn't really matter, as my ASUS Silent Square CPU cooler blocks it anyway.

Inside: Plenty of bays, especially 3.5". I have 2 hard drives, 3.5" fan control for the Silent Square, and a 3.5" multi-card reader with extra USB ports. I only really need one 5.25" bay, as I have only ever had 1 optical drive in at a time. Tool-free is a plus. It's nice to be able to put in drives and expansion cards without having to screw anything in. I don't care if it comes with screw on panels, as I just replace them with thumb screws anyway.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:43:14 AM »
          I don't like bay doors, they tend to block optical drives, ventilation, and sometimes ports.
          I don't like lights or windows at all.
          Colour doesn't matter to me as long as it's not in my face - no fluorescent yellow cases, thanks.  I need at least two USB ports on the front, other than that I don't need any ports on a case.
          I don't use external 3.5" bays since I ditched my card reader due to lack of USB ports on my motherboard.
          I see your point about 5.25" bays, I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people out there use one bay, and the majority of the rest use two.  The small amount that's left might have two optical drives for disk to disk copies, maybe a multimedia bay, a fan controller, etc.
          I like lots of bays for more ventilation (if you don't have solid blanking plates that is).  Also, more 5.25" bays mean you can get converters for 3.5" internal or external bays, no way to convert 3.5"'s to 5.25"'s without a saw.

Something else that comes up - what size fans do you all consider should be in cases, and what do you use?  A lot of people mention ventilation and airflow, but not specifically.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 08:52:21 AM »
          At the very least, one 120mm in the front and back. That's what mine has and has proven enough, along with the Silent Square and semi-blocked side fan (80mm), to keep my system at 45-50°C peak and around 30°C idle.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 05:46:33 PM »
            I personally like ones that have four bays, the batman setup is that way were I have two drives an a dual fan in one an can add another cd drive if I wanted.
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
            I like crap loads of space, the bigger the better, within reason of course.  You can never have too much ventilation.
            I really don't care what it looks like either, I spend my time using it, it's not an ornament.
            Evil is an exact science.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 05:08:43 AM »
              the bigger the worse it means you need more ventalation rather then just a few an can generate more heat.  Allows for more stuff but can be an over all issue.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 06:03:13 AM »
              I'd argue the other way around, squall - a bigger case has more space inside, and thus more air to dissipate the heat.
              You don't necessarily need more fans just because the case is bigger, but a bigger case usually means there's more fan spots.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 06:05:04 AM »
                If you cant derict the air its no differnt then a vacum, right?