Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What I think is a good pc.  (Read 41875 times)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: What I think is a good pc.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 03:50:31 AM »
That Vantec should be fine for the northbridge, but I can't tell if it will fit on the southbridge under the graphics card.  You'll have a better idea of whether or not it will fit.
Only trouble with that type of cooler is that the fans are often quite loud and high-pitched - as they're small, they have to spin fast to cool effectively.

I didn't check your specs properly, specifically your motherboard.  Nvidia chipsets do run very hot, an Nvidia board was the reason I bought a load of chipset coolers (later sold the board because I didn't like the layout, and the chipset still ran very hot).  You'll need to check compatibility before buying, from some images I've seen you may have some space restrictions around the chipset so you'll need to check whatever cooler you pick will fit properly.
It's difficult to tell, but do the coolers on the board connect with heatpipes?  It looks like the southbridge, northbridge and VRM coolers are all connected, but I can't quite tell.  If they are, it might be difficult to remove the heatsinks, so you'll need to check up on that before you buy anything.

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 04:37:33 AM »
Ya they are connected. I'm fairly shour that it would fit under my card but I have been trying to find out if it will work with the southbridge and when I turn off my pc I will take a few measurements of my southbridge.
Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 04:48:24 AM »
The main thing to check is the distance between the mounting holes.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »
Looks good. I've got your icon added to your profile.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 05:17:12 PM »
I got the symbol. YA! I did messure the mounting holes and am shour that it will fit.

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 02:53:26 AM »
Calum, you suggested the gtx275 and it looks good but it is about $40 more than the gtx260 core 216 that I am looking at and only $20 less then the gtx280. I here a lot of good things about the core 216 so I might go far that.

Do you have any idea what hapend to the gtx270 and 290?

I'm attaching a pick of my main 3 hard drives. You can also see the optical drive with the IDE cable (I no longer use this drive... I currently have no drive). Because I can only attache a file that is 700Kb I had to cut the resolution in half. But what is interesting is that by only cutting the vertical and horizontal resolution in half it made the 3.35Mb file into a 651Kb file. And it still looks good.

[attachment deleted by admin]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 03:01:27 AM »
But what is interesting is that by only cutting the vertical and horizontal resolution in half it made the 3.35Mb file into a 651Kb file. And it still looks good.

Not to go off topic, but that reduces the number of pixels by 3/4ths, which is about equal to the reduction in size. (the rest can be accounted for via the jpg compression)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 03:44:53 AM »
Calum, you suggested the gtx275 and it looks good but it is about $40 more than the gtx260 core 216 that I am looking at and only $20 less then the gtx280. I here a lot of good things about the core 216 so I might go far that.
The GTX275 is almost equal to the 280, but for those prices you're best getting the 260, I agree.

Do you have any idea what hapend to the gtx270 and 290?
Just Nvidia's wacky naming ... the 295 is two chips on one card, the chips are themselves in between the 260 and 280.  That chip was later released as the 275, because it's closer to the 280 than 260 in specifications.  The gap is still quite small though, so there was no real need for a product between the 260 and 275, or 280 and 295.

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 04:02:21 AM »
I have my optical disk drive installed and it is sweet. Actually it was a replacement for a drive that I thought did not work. Well it worked but the lightscribe did not work. so when this one did not work eather I new it could not be the drive. What are the chances? So I reinstalled win7 on one of my extra hdds and it worked. I will have to use the second OS just to use lightscribe until I reinstall the RC or when win7 comes out. The sad thing is that the first drive that I returned still had the Crysis game disc in it. I freaked and called the company and they said they would try to return it but nothing happend so I have downloaded the ISO off of bittorrent so I will burn that to a disk and all will be good. Oh ya I mentioned that the drive was sweet. I meant that not only about the lightscribe but also about the speed. With my old drive it took 35+ min. to install but withthis drive it took less then 20 min. that is pretty damb sweet. I also add it to my specs.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »
I freaked and called the company and they said they would try to return it but nothing happend so I have downloaded the ISO off of bittorrent so I will burn that to a disk and all will be good.

LA LA LA LA LA Can't hear you LA LA LA LA LA

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 06:21:34 PM »
LA LA LA LA LA Can't hear you LA LA LA LA LA
If you are saying that because you think I a doing something illegal, you don't have to weary because in the US we are legally aloud to have a backup of any and all software that we have purchased. And as long as I only use the copy for my own personal use I will be fine.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 09:50:26 PM »
If you are saying that because you think I a doing something illegal, you don't have to weary because in the US we are legally aloud to have a backup of any and all software that we have purchased. And as long as I only use the copy for my own personal use I will be fine.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

One thing I don't think makes sense, is that under the DCMA, program vendors don't even need to protect their programs with secure keys and stuff. If they package it in a zip file, and you extract that zipfile you just circumvented their protections.

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 11:08:39 PM »
Well thanks for that but the article you linked stayted several times that it is up to the owner of the copy right wether or not to prosue the copy right. So unless they are so bored that they have to come after me, someone that has legally perchased the game with a legal key, I think I will be OK. Even if it is illegal there are other people that are selling copies and I think they will be going after them long before me.

Boozu

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »
I got my fans and my chipset cooler. In all it took me 10 hours to finish the install mostly because of the wire management overhall I did on my case. I got a mother board extender and routed that around the back and that made it a lot nicer. I just need an 8 pin extender and I can finish with all of the cable management that is possible to do without cutting holes in the case. This is the fan I got but mine is red not green. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4675263&CatId=802 As for the chipset cooler... I now know that it will for shour fit but I can't get the old one off.

smeezekitty

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 10:43:15 PM »
what is a north or south bridge?