Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My custom computer  (Read 12902 times)

jowolf359

Topic Starter

Rookie

My custom computer
    « on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:41 AM »
    I am working on a custom computer for my wife, she is a big Doctor Who fan so I thought that since she is I would build her a computer case that looks like the robot dog, K-9.

This is going to be her's and her's alone. It will sit on the floor, the mouse and keyboard will be wireless and it will have a 21" flatscreen monitor. It will have a water cooling system.

I am still working on what to put in as motherboard, cpu, psu, ECT. All the cables will be out the rear and the 1TB hard drive will be in its head with the LEDs and the power switch on it's back. I will upload some images on the project when I get me a new digicam.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: My custom computer
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:24:25 PM »
    Sounds great, can't wait to see what you come up with when you start building.

jowolf359

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »
      Here is a crude drawing and a couple of images. One is with a person for scale.

The HDD and the USB will be in the head, the Motherboard will be in the main body but lying down.

jowolf359

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:18:19 PM »
        I have got this coming for the motherboard:
        GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

This will be the RAM:
        G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

This will be the CPU:
        AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor

Now to figure out the graphics and audio cards, power supply unit, monitor, cooling, ECT.

Input would be appreciated:D

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Computer Hope
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »
        Looks good and it's a good idea. I've added the SBCC icon to your profile. As far as suggestions I don't know how much you're wanting to put into this but for cooling I'd probably go with an active/passive type cooling. If you're going all out you could try a liquid cool solution, but often really complicates a project.

Graphics card I'd probably spend a little more on since it's likely you're probably going to be gaming. Personally I'd go through reviews for this since any opinion on a graphics card is going to be pretty bias since most people (including myself) don't have dozens of video cards to play around with

Power supply I'd go with at least 550W.

Audio card, honestly never really put too much into audio cards so really just any fairly decent sound card would do, e.g. Creative X-Fi something fairly decent.

Monitor again is personal preference, if you spend a lot of time on the computer bigger is always better IMO unless you're planning on doing a multiple monitor setup. Personally I've been thrilled with my Dell 30" display that I use daily often for 12+ hours a day for the last 3+ years.

Finally, as always I usually recommend http://www.newegg.com/ for hardware purchases and reviews. Visit this site look at the reviews and compare products to get a better idea of what you may like.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
        -Albert Einstein

jowolf359

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »
          This is going to be for my wife, she does lots of custom graphics for herself and for others. She does a few games, but mainly they are online gamesites.

I had been thinking on the Gigabyte 800W PSU.

I am not sure on the monitor yet, but she may wind up with either a dual monitor or a triple monitor setup. It will start as a single first, and I will watch how much she flips back and forth between screens to different programs and such. The main monitor if it does become a triple setup will wind up being wall mounted.

Thanks for the input and for the icon! :D

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Computer Hope
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »
          Sounds like quite the setup, when you do finish it we demand pictures. :)
          Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
          -Albert Einstein