Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Updating Firefox - now it keeps freezing  (Read 5825 times)

Shammah

Topic Starter

Updating Firefox - now it keeps freezing
    « on: July 23, 2009, 05:57:22 AM »
    Thank you for the forum and thanks for an Apple section.   :)

I got a new Imac in May.  I got it because my pc's had so many problems.  I have been a computer person since the 80's and finally decided to switch.  The constant updates , virus attacks etc. pushed me over to apple.  I am running OSX 10.5.7 2.93 processor with 4 gb ram. 

Yesterday Firefox updated the browser.  Until now Firefox has been flawless.  Now the browser is freezing.  Seems like old times.  In 2008 Windows updated my XP and i was off the internet for 3 months until I finally found out the incompatibility with my firewall. 

I thought I had avoided this update, now I have problems situation by going Apple.  I don't know how to revert to the previous browser and anyway these updates are aggressive they don't even tell me they're doing it until I shut down and then I am notified it will start when I turn my computer on again.

Any ideas, anyone?

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Updating Firefox - now it keeps freezing
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »
    Shammah,

A good first step is to make sure you have all of apple's software updates applied.  To check this, simply click on the apple logo in the top left, and choose "software update."  Install any available updates.

Once this is done, run a disk permissions repair by using disk utility (applications --> utilities --> disk utility).

Once you open disk utility, click on your hard drive on the left hand side and choose "repair disk permissions" in the bottom right.

If it's still not working after that, you can always trash your firefox preferences file.  If it gets to that point, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Shammah

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 07:12:07 PM »
      Thanks Socrates,

Although I have auto update, for unexplainable reasons it updated a new security release on top of an old version.  I think that was the problem.

I updated the version and now it is smooth.  Thanks - still not sure why the schizophrenic updates tho but at least it is working again.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »
      That is odd, but I'm glad to hear you got it working.