Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade USB from 1.0 to 2.0  (Read 7391 times)

janey9

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Upgrade USB from 1.0 to 2.0
    « on: July 30, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
    I am currently useing a USB hub 1.0.  Trying to use Majic Jack, the device that allows you to make phone call through the computer.  I am running Windows XP.  It takes MJ a long time to load, and I have been told by my local computer guru, that I have to upgrade the operating system in order for the MJ to load faster.  I was thinking if I upgrade a 2.0 Port, that should take care of the problem. I don't understand how a system upgrade would help, but I'm certainly no Guru!  Also I am assuming that I have a 1.0 Port, tried to find out on the computer what it is, also took the cover off, but couldn't find anything.  Thanks for your help. ???

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Upgrade USB from 1.0 to 2.0
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:02:17 PM »
    You can get a USB/PCI addon card for about 15 Bucks...simple to install...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »
    Try running it independantly of the USB hub.  Connect it directly to a USB port.
    Evil is an exact science.

janey9

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:22:45 AM »
      thanks for your help.  Installing a PCI/Card add on results in the upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0?  If this is so, upgrading the op system doesn't make sense.  Also I tried useing other ports on the computer, but same thing happens, the MJ loads really slow.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:38:10 PM »
      thanks for your help.  Installing a PCI/Card add on results in the upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0?  If this is so, upgrading the op system doesn't make sense.  Also I tried useing other ports on the computer, but same thing happens, the MJ loads really slow.

If the add-on card is USB 2.0 then yes, it will update any of the ports that you ATTACH to the add-on card.  It will not upgrade the USB ports that are integrated on the mother board.

No, you shouldn't need to upgrade the OS.
      Evil is an exact science.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 07:29:55 AM »
      I am currently useing a USB hub 1.0. 
      You're using a USB hub?  So, do you mean the hub - an external device, right? - is a USB 1.0 device? 

But, what about the USB ports on your computer?  Are you sure all of them are only USB 1.0?  What motherboard do you have?  One way to tell whether you have any USB 2.0 ports is to open Device Manager, expand the section for Univeral Serial Bus ..., and see whether the title of any of the items there include the word "enhanced". 

janey9

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »
        Useing an external USB Hub, no enhanced items noted in Serial Bus controllers.  Also Board is ASUSTeK computer Inc. P5GC-MX (if that makes any sense to you).  It's listed in my BeLarc Advisor computer profile summary.  I'd like to install a USB 2.0 card, but I'm a greenhorn, and who knows what could happen.  I tried to install the Magic Jack on other ports, but doesn't want to load at all.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »
        According to the specifications for that motherboard at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131212, it has USB 2.0 on all USB ports.  So, you may have USB driver issues.  You might try a technique patio has advised numerous times to resolve USB issues.  In Device Manager, right click on each item listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers and delete/remove it.  Then, restart your computer. Windows should detect new hardware and install drivers. 

Once you've done that, go back to Device Manager.  Do you see any unknown devices or yellow triangles with an exclamation mark in them?  Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers and see whether any items are "enhanced".

janey9

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 05:58:28 AM »
          I deleted a port through Device Manager, however,  no yellow marks.  I'm reluctant to play around any further for fear I lose stuff I can't get back.  I'm going to take the Computer to my local Tech guy.  It's less dangerous.  I really appreciate your time to respond to my question.  Thank You.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:46:25 AM »
            I didnt really read this but I skimmed it.  Why did you pay for something when you could possible get skype for free?
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 08:59:23 AM »
            I deleted a port through Device Manager...
            The procedure requires deleting them all and restarting your computer.  This is not dangerous; it will do no physical harm to your computer.  At worst, the most likely outcome would be that you're simply back in the same situation, with your system only functioning at USB 1.0 speed.   So, why not try it and, if it does not solve the problem, then you could take the computer to your local Tech guy.   

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 09:07:44 AM »
            I agree with Soybean....i have done this 100's of times for customers with zero issues.
            Expand the USB tree in Device Manager and do it to all instances of roots and hubs...
            You probably got spooked by the MS warning...you can safely ignore it and select Remove.
            Upon re-boot Windows simply re-installs all of them.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

janey9

Topic Starter

Beginner
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:02:10 AM »
              Ok, gang, thanks for the info. I'll try that and report back.

janey9

Topic Starter

Beginner
              • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                « Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 05:59:52 AM »
                Removed USB hub and ports, Windows reinstalled the driver, I no longer have a pop up window indicating that I should upgrade to 2.0, however, when I plugged in the Majic Jack again I got a message saying
                "generic USB hub has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of it's hub port, disconnect the device.  I reset as instructed, however I'm hesitant to plug in the MJ again.  I can only assume as you mentioned that  I have to upgrade to 2.0 USB.  thanks again for your help.

soybean

Genius
                « Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »
                Try running it independantly of the USB hub.  Connect it directly to a USB port.
                Have you tried this?  Why do you insist on using the hub?  Why do you think you need it?

As I said in a previous post, your motherboard has USB 2.0.