Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SYNCTOY / BACKUP SOFTWARE  (Read 2372 times)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

SYNCTOY / BACKUP SOFTWARE
    « on: August 04, 2009, 07:21:45 PM »
    I have 2 laptops with 60GB hardrives in them.  In addition, I have 2 extra hard drives that I use for backup purposes.  One is 160GB and the other 1000GB.  I have been using some software called Synctoy to regularly synchronize my PCs and my extra HDs. 

A couple of times now I have had a MAJOR problem in that I have lost a lot of data in certain folders.  It simply disappeared.  It seemed that both times this happened, I had used the ECHO function on Synctoy.

Since I am starting to accumulate a lot of pictures and music, my 2 PCs 60 GB HDs fill up pretty quickly.  So, I would like to store a lot of pictures and music ONLY on my extra HDs and keep the necessary less space consuming stuff on my PCs. 

Until recently I had only been using the synchronize function of synctoy and it seemed to have worked very well.  Recently, however, I have started using the echo or contribute functions.  Frankly, I don't really understand the difference.  I can't completely understand the definitions they give of ECHO and CONTRIBUTE. 

I want to do the following:

(1) Synchronize the "My Docs" folder between my PCs and extra HDs.
    (2) On my PCs, delete all of the major stuff I don't need (like pics and music)
    (3) On a regular basis, backup any new data that is added to one of my PCs
    (4) Of course, I want to save any new data on my PCs and on the additional HDs. However, I don't want any of the major stuff that I deleted sent back to my PCs.

Which of the functions shoould I be using?  What should I avoid doing? Is Synctoy the best program out there or could anyone recommend another?

(A) I am very worried about losing data for a third time.
    (B) I need a good consistent program I can regularly backup all of my folders with.

Any suggestions?

oldun

Re: SYNCTOY / BACKUP SOFTWARE
    « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:22:23 AM »
    There may be other better backup solutions, but here is an explanation of the Synctoy options.

Using any of the three options, renamed, new, and modified files in the source location will be remaned or copied to the target location. The difference between the three options is in how deleted files are handled.

Synchronize:
    This will make both source and target locations identical.
    This means that any file deleted in either the source or target location will also be deleted in the other location.

Echo:
    Using this option, any file deleted from the source location will also be deleted in the target location. Unlike Synchronize, any file renamed or deleted in the target location will not be deleted from the source location.

Contribute:
    This option is similar to Echo, except that files deleted from the source or the target location will not be deleted in the other location.

Hope this clears things up.