Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router protection "enabled" slows down internet.  (Read 2311 times)

munkytown

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Router protection "enabled" slows down internet.
    « on: August 26, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
    Sorry if I don't know how to word what I'm trying to explain. I got a Belkin N Wireless Router about a month ago and up until about a week ago had been using it without the protection enabled. So in other words, I could use my wireless device just fine, and I still can, but there was a possibility that neighbors could also be using my internet connection. So I called Belkin support and they helped me configure it so that no one can access it without a password. Wireless device still working fine BUT since I did that my internet connection seems to have slowed down noticeably.
    I called Belkin support again, but they weren't any help this time.
    My ISP is Windstream and I have a 12meg connection (download speed). Downloading hasn't seemed to really suffer much, if any. It's just things like web pages loading. Is there any way to remedy this and keep my router on and protected? Thanks.

smeezekitty

Re: Router protection "enabled" slows down internet.
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:12:28 PM »
    i think its fairly normal
    i just use mine unprotected
    for the speed
    besides i dont care if nahbors use my internet or tamper with the settings

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Router protection "enabled" slows down internet.
    « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:53:26 PM »
    it shouldn't slow it down at all... I get 28-30 mbps through my wireless router and it has WPA-2 enabled.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.