Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista acting a bit weird....  (Read 13481 times)

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Vista acting a bit weird....
    « on: September 01, 2009, 09:26:13 PM »
    Have had this going on for a few weeks now..... seems the computer "wakes up" slow when I come back after a while... tap a key, takes a little bit for it to come around.. and then if you try to open the browser, or e-mail... it will sometimes act like it's "hanging".. you see the little swirling circle like it's "thinking"... but nothing....them a minute later POP!! It's up and running! If you try and push things by clicking around...the screen will go partial white... foggy like... then in a minute or two.... pop back to normal!! But it doen't do this all the time, just usually when i'm in a HURRY!!! Any ideas what is going on?? This Computer was built new this year and set up with vista by the shop. Really have had no issues before with either the computer OR vista until recently.... installed Service pack 2 last night..... acted stupid right after, but after a reboot or two, so far seems better.... any ideas what or where to look???

Vista home premium 32 bit, as on 9/1/ has Service pack 2 installed, AMD athlon 64X2 dual core 2.91 GHZ processor, 4 gigs of ram, nvidia geforce9400gt video....Western Digital HD 22gb's used on a 232 gb drive, as reported in system details...
    « Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:37:22 PM by Hankster58 »

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Vista acting a bit weird....
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:23:04 PM »
    Disable all power saving features. They rarely work properly.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »
    Disable all power saving features. They rarely work properly.
    What ^ he said :). The exception is that you can set the hd and display to power down after a defined period of inactivity. This works better than hibernat or sleep and is actually easier on resources and your system.

smeezekitty

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:21:31 AM »
    What ^ he said :). The exception is that you can set the hd and display to power down after a defined period of inactivity. This works better than hibernat or sleep and is actually easier on resources and your system.
    i turn the display off to aovid damaging it but
    i dont want mine to autosleep or turn the hdd off because it puts more ware on the motor

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:38:07 AM »
    i turn the display off to aovid damaging it but
    i dont want mine to autosleep or turn the hdd off because it puts more ware on the motor
    STOP PROVIDING NONSENSE INFORMATION IN THREADS WHERE I'M INVOLVED. Clearly turning off the HD puts LESS wear (not ware) no the drive, not more. AND NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU DO ON YOUR SYSTEM.

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
    STOP PROVIDING NONSENSE INFORMATION IN THREADS WHERE I'M INVOLVED. Clearly turning off the HD puts LESS wear (not ware) no the drive, not more. AND NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU DO ON YOUR SYSTEM.

Hear, hear!  ;)

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »
    Hear, hear!  ;)
    I really don't like jumping on people and it takes a LOT to get to me - but I've reached that point with this guy - and I've only been here three weeks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
    Trust me...it'll be ignored.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »
    Trust me...it'll be ignored.
    More's the pity.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 05:17:13 PM »
    You may need this
    ;D

Mulreay

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
    Or this

Borrowed from willy

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 08:17:23 PM »
    the excessive spin-ups/spin-downs DO put more wear on the motor; and in fact most head crashes occur when the head misses the landing zone during spin down or the actuator motor moves the head onto the platter before the motor is up to speed (which can happen after an excessive number of spin-ups/spin-downs.

And this isn't to report the possible temperature changes, expansion, and contractions that result, since the motor is essentially the only heat-producing component in the HD. This effect is even more marked with the aluminum/magnesium substrate platters found in somewhat older drives.

However that being said the "reduction" in total life won't make a difference anyway- a drive is far more likely to be replaced simply to increase capacity or speed then due to failure, except for those cases where it was a factory dud.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

smeezekitty

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 08:22:35 PM »
    the excessive spin-ups/spin-downs DO put more wear on the motor; and in fact most head crashes occur when the head misses the landing zone during spin down or the actuator motor moves the head onto the platter before the motor is up to speed (which can happen after an excessive number of spin-ups/spin-downs.

And this isn't to report the possible temperature changes, expansion, and contractions that result, since the motor is essentially the only heat-producing component in the HD. This effect is even more marked with the aluminum/magnesium substrate platters found in somewhat older drives.

However that being said the "reduction" in total life won't make a difference anyway- a drive is far more likely to be replaced simply to increase capacity or speed then due to failure, except for those cases where it was a factory dud.
    i only repplace a drive when it fails
    if i need more capacity i simply add another drive

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 08:27:14 PM »
    wow, can't even recognize when somebody is (reluctantly) defending you. OK then.

smeezekitty

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »
    i did
    i was just saying this part
    doesnt always apply
    you clairafyed what i was trying to say
    spin ups and spin downs wears the motor out much faster

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 09:34:14 PM »
      Thanks for the ideas.... set the "Power settings" to the lowest (least intrusive setting)it has... and as of now, seems to be acting like it ought to....good deal!! Thanks!

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »
      the excessive spin-ups/spin-downs DO put more wear on the motor;
      Setting the drive to power down after a defined period of inactivity (and I'm talking 30 minutes, not 30 seconds) will NOT put more wear on the hd motor. I'm not suggesting it will lengthen the life of the HD either (though it very well may) but it does make sense to power down hd & display when the system isn't going to be used for a period of time - certainly from a power conservation perspective.
      « Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:00:50 AM by ADG »

smeezekitty

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »
      whats the point of power conserving if you are not on batterys?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 10:59:04 AM »
      First, it's batteries, not batterys. Second, your question doesn't deserve an answer (as is the case with most of your posts).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »
      Setting the drive to power down after a defined period of inactivity (and I'm talking 30 minutes, not 30 seconds) will NOT put more wear on the hd motor. I'm not suggesting it will lengthen the life of the HD either (though it may), but it does make sense to power down hd & display when the system isn't going to be used for a period of time - certainly from a power conservation perspective.

Yes, I surely wasn't suggesting that such a fact should even be considered when setting the respective power management options, merely that although his conclusion was erroneous that the basic facts were accurate.

Most people have a thing called a "power bill" that they pay using "money". More money is better, therefore a cheaper power bill is good too.

And of course there's all that stuff about the environment, blah blah.... don't put your six-pack holders in the duck pond, etc etc.

EDIT: heh, sorry ADG, forgot to post this when I first wrote it and left the tab open  :P

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
      EDIT: heh, sorry ADG, forgot to post this when I first wrote it and left the tab open  :P
      No problem friend. In my short time here there are a few members whose posts and input I've grown to respect, and you are one of them.

smeezekitty

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
      but the point is you could disconnect the hdd
      and the PSU wouldnt draw that much more power
      p.s. this is totally useless and i am going to stop posting about this but overall ADG is wrong

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 11:43:39 AM »
      but the point is you could disconnect the hdd
      and the PSU wouldnt draw that much more power
      p.s. this is totally useless and i am going to stop posting about this but overall ADG is wrong

No, he isn't. the Hard Drive motors are (some) of the more power-drawing components of a PC, and they do NOT need to be running all the time. The "wear" I describe above it negligible(if they even exist at all, It's pure conjecture, really; it seems logical, to assume that there is some amount of wear on the drive, however it is probably not even worth mention at all, heck if we wanted our drives to last forever we'd never turn them on anyway!. Their power draw DOES influence what the PSU draws from the wall, (depending on the PSU itself, as well). this is what the "switching" and load compensation in a PSU is for- when a component stops drawing power from a rail, say, a floppy stops spinning, or, in this case, a HD motor spins down- with it's 12v rail now missing load, the PSU might still try to "push" through the same amount of current as it was when it was required. However, the "load-balancing" common in most Power supplies stops this, detects the lighter load and the PSU sends only what current is needed.

in general the DC output current is proportional to the AC current draw, which directly affects, in some way, the electric bill, and of course the other concerns mentioned.

smeezekitty

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
      No, he isn't. the Hard Drive motors are (some) of the more power-drawing components of a PC, and they do NOT need to be running all the time. The "wear" I describe above it negligible(if they even exist at all, It's pure conjecture, really; it seems logical, to assume that there is some amount of wear on the drive, however it is probably not even worth mention at all, heck if we wanted our drives to last forever we'd never turn them on anyway!. Their power draw DOES influence what the PSU draws from the wall, (depending on the PSU itself, as well). this is what the "switching" and load compensation in a PSU is for- when a component stops drawing power from a rail, say, a floppy stops spinning, or, in this case, a HD motor spins down- with it's 12v rail now missing load, the PSU might still try to "push" through the same amount of current as it was when it was required. However, the "load-balancing" common in most Power supplies stops this, detects the lighter load and the PSU sends only what current is needed.

in general the DC output current is proportional to the AC current draw, which directly affects, in some way, the electric bill, and of course the other concerns mentioned.
      dang it you made m post again
      most of the PSU's i have take almost the same amount unless the computer actually goes to standby
      also the eletric bill is ovously the main concern because turning a harddrive motor off
      doesnt effect the enviroment  at all

mroilfield

Mentor
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
      also the eletric bill is ovously the main concern because turning a harddrive motor off
      doesnt effect the enviroment  at all

Smeeze

Please do us all a favor. Grab both of your ears and give them a downward pull so maybe you can pull your head out of your !%&.

If the hard drive uses less power that will in effect cause the power bill to be lower so if the power bill is lower that means the consumer has used less power. This in turn means that the power company has to generate less power which in turns means less of an impact on the environment.

Mods,

Sorry if I went to far with the pulling his head out of his !%& rant but he really has no clue and from what I have seen of his post he isn't willing to even try and learn and that really annoys me.
      You can't fix Stupid!!!

smeezekitty

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »
      let me clarify step down reduction
      these are not real number figures or scale it is just to give an example
      say if you load the PSU with 50 less watts it will maybe take 10 less input watts
      then there is the house transformer
      you load that with 10 less watts and it will take 2 less watts
      then there is the high voltage stepdown
      take 2 less watts and the input stays the same
      you are not figureing after evrey transformer there is less input reduction when output load is reduced
      so turning a hdd motor off wouldnt even trigger the power plant to notice the power diffrence
      and they would not throttle down power reduction and the power bill reduction would only
      be noticeable to somone that is short on cash (lots of people)
      i dislike people that think they can save the enviroment
      because the best way to do it
      is dont throw your trash on the ground
      even turning off a lightbulb will be insugnificant

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
        Smeezekitty you are confusing Watts with Amps.

smeezekitty

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »
        Smeezekitty you are confusing Watts with Amps.
        i was just trying to demonstrate turning the hdd motor off
        will not effect the enviroment one bit
        infact it makes the problem worse:
        if you start and stop it it wears the motor out faster
        meaning you have to buy another one sooner using more materals from the earth
        i will stop posting because i dont want this to get rediculus

Mulreay

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »
        i dislike people that think they can save the enviroment
        because the best way to do it
        is dont throw your trash on the ground
        even turning off a lightbulb will be insugnificant

I'm confused how not throwing my chocolate wrapper on the floor is better for the environment than say not cutting down the rainforest, car pooling, turning unnecessary appliances off, controlling the cattle population, reducing air travel or simply using alternative fuels.
        You should go to the next G8 summit (they can re-name it G9 for you) and tell them about this litter issue. And there's all these countries doing the wrong thing when all along they just had to hire some litter wardens. Good job Smeeze once again you have lit the path for the rest of us.  ::)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 06:27:20 PM »
        The prudent thing to do most times when you find yourself in a hole for whatever reason is to immediately stop digging...

hiloed

Beginner

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2009, 10:56:37 PM »

ADG, BC and Patio,

You cannot speak of the ocean to a frog in a well.

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 11:02:36 PM »
            Ok, hate to be a drag, but it's still doing it, tho to a lesser degree.... In either IE or Windows Mail program.... it can hang.... if you try to force it (clicking around) to go on... it says "Not reponding" at the top.. you fool with it more.... the screen goes milky white... it'll "think a bit"... then come back to where it ought to be and be ok for a while..... any other ideas??? Went to Microsofts site...and even the guys there are at odds.... is this system so buggy eevn MICROSOFT is baffled??? Frankly I basically like Vista, and it runs the other programs just fine it seems.... just these two seem to screw up!! Any ideas are welcome!!

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 05:11:39 PM »
              Fixed it... after getting the LATEST "update" download from Microsoft....it locked up almost as fast as it loaded! I.E. became totally useless!!! Microsoft TRASH!!! I downloaded FireFox at the advice of my Nephew.... FIXED!!! So it is DEFINITELY crappy software from the big MC once again.... I.E. 7 was ok.. guess that's what I get for being dumb enough to BELIEVE their "ad hype" about the "latest and greatest upgrade"..... Sick to death of MC always selling HALF FINISHED products.... wish some NEW guy would come along and blow those crooks out of the water!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »
              Sick to death of MC always selling HALF FINISHED products

They didn't sell you IE8. it was free.

Mulreay

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 10:56:37 AM »
              They didn't sell you IE8. it was free.

Or my auto-updates! Is that why i never have any money at the end of the month?

Quantos

Guru
              • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »
              Fixed it... after getting the LATEST "update" download from Microsoft....it locked up almost as fast as it loaded! I.E. became totally useless!!! Microsoft TRASH!!! I downloaded FireFox at the advice of my Nephew.... FIXED!!! So it is DEFINITELY crappy software from the big MC once again.... I.E. 7 was ok.. guess that's what I get for being dumb enough to BELIEVE their "ad hype" about the "latest and greatest upgrade"..... Sick to death of MC always selling HALF FINISHED products.... wish some NEW guy would come along and blow those crooks out of the water!!

I don't have a problem with MS software. 
              However it is a really poor musician that blames the instrument.
              Evil is an exact science.

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
                Now come on.... not like all of you are in love with MS!!!!! LOL!!! BUT.... it did it again...... But I also finally fixed it. New Video Driver Update from nvidia and all seems fine !!

mroilfield

Mentor
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 11:28:50 PM »
                Now come on.... not like all of you are in love with MS!!!!! LOL!!! BUT.... it did it again...... But I also finally fixed it. New Video Driver Update from nvidia and all seems fine !!

So you are saying that it was a problem with your video driver and not MS. I think some one owes MS an apology.
                You can't fix Stupid!!!

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #38 on: December 07, 2009, 02:07:57 AM »
                  Well I'd be happy to eat crow if I could get the problem fixed!!! It is ALMOST "normal".. as long as I don't use I.E.8 at all!! Firefox runs 98% no problems..... if I launch I.E.8.. type in a url hit enter and  FREEZE UP!! What it is, I don't know... I DO know it never did this until the I.E. 8 upgrade.... tried to "uninstall the update..nogo, tried to RE-INSTALL IE8.... nogo.... and the Games that come with windows still won't work either... they are there... I can go in and hit the executables file itself, but nothing. Everything else works as it should.....
                  I don't get it...

Um.. I was reading on here about "when to reload windows.... it said to run TaskManager  and see how many svchost  etc were running.... I show 13 right now!! 2 under Norton & 11 by windows various ....what is causing that?? Virus scan comes up clean.... so does spybot...
                  « Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:18:15 AM by Hankster58 »

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #39 on: December 07, 2009, 07:12:21 AM »
                  Multiple instances of svchost is normal...many processes are dependent on it to run.

IE8 Repair...

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                    « Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »
                    ok, looked it up, read instructions and ran it... used run as admin... dos box pops up... exe runs.. then i get "ERROR:Access Denied"..... then it tells me hit any key to continue.. do so and that's it... no change. IE still screwed.... now there is no "Administrator" password on this computer.... Admin was left open.... tried to CREATE an "Admin" and it tells me I can't there already is one.... and the Account SHOWS Admin. when you go in...
                    I guess That's it..... one "dumb" question... can Vista be reloaded over itself??? If so, what happens to all updates installed etc... do they REMAIN or are they wasted??? Programs and data?? Or is it best to just live with it?

Oh yeah, thanks for info On Svchost... actually found the skinny on it at about 4 am on another site... Vista uses it instead of exe files to run multiple apps if I got it right, so if one locks all don't go down?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
                    Oh yeah, thanks for info On Svchost... actually found the skinny on it at about 4 am on another site... Vista uses it instead of exe files to run multiple apps if I got it right, so if one locks all don't go down?

No. It hosts services. svchost hosts Out-of-process services; dllhost hosts in-process services (dlls).

regarding your sudden user issue- in order to create administrator accounts you need administrator access; but from the looks of the error it isn't complaing that you already have an administrator enabled account but rather that the name you chose exists. Not all accounts display on the log-in screen. For example, the only account that I can see in most places is my normal account, "BC_Programming". However, when I visit Computer management's user section (start, compmgmt.msc,"Local Users And Groups","users" I can see:

__vmware_user__
                    Administrator
                    BC_Programming
                    VUSR_TERATRON

each one has a description- for example it reveals that VUSR_TERATRON is used by Visual Studio 2008.

Within this particular Dialog (computer management) you can investigate each of these users, as well. For example, my BC_Programming account is in fact more powerful then the Administrator account, as I've given myself Debug access. (for my programming needs).

Personally, I always use this particular feature to manage users; the default user account management is to limited for my tastes.

Regarding your problem- the administrator account is disabled by default- by enabling it (I assume) it should then display on the log-in screen, so, if for some reason your normal account no longer has administrator privileges, you should be able to log-in as Administrator and use computer management to make your normal account a member of the administrators group.

It's also possible the behaviour your witnessing is a result of UAC; when you log-in, your account is Always stripped of any administrator rights- windows takes your user security token and masks out the administrator privileges. When administrator access is required, the UAC prompt is shown before performing the operation with your full security token. I'm not sure how this works when UAC is disabled, but it might simply not show the UAC prompt and instead automatically perform the operation using the full security token. If that is the case, your normal user account will, while having administrator privileges, the security token used to start most programs will not, unless you use "run as administrator". On that note, the "Run as administrator" was exactly what you needed for that IE repair script; even with UAC disabled, you need to use "Run as administrator" to run the program with your full security token, rather then the normal one with the admin privileges stripped out.

re: your IE8 issues, try some of the steps here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/03/07/how-to-uninstall-windows-internet-explorer-8-ie8-in-vista/

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                      « Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 02:27:27 PM »
                      ok on svc...
                      According to what I found they set it up without UAC.... BUT i have "all permissions" possible chosen under my "username".... and yes, I found 3 entries, but one it recognizes me as supposedly has all rights etc etc...

ok, the EXACT message i get it....after starting that cmd deal i downloaded....

registering IE files
                      registering system files
                      correcting bugs in the registry
                      ERROR:Access is denied.
                      all tasks have finished
                      Press any key to continue......

So you press enter, the box goes away..... i'll look at the link you provided now...

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                        « Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »
                        To do so, go to C:\WINDOWS\ie8\spuninst\ folder (your drive letter may be different), and run spuninst.exe. Restart the computer after uninstallation completed.

Ok.. what do you do when this folder isn't there???? This is nutz!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        « Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »
                        well... then you don't have ie8 installed or for some reason it didn't install properly.

forgive me if you mentioned doing this- but have you tried a System Restore?

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                          « Reply #45 on: December 07, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
                          No i didn't say, and unfortunately, I don't have a backup date far enough back..... guess i'm up a creek!! I do find it ridiculous a "critical update" from Microsoft can create such a mess on an unaltered system of theirs.... should have been marked "use at your own risk"!! I've found pages of nothing but people having trouble with IE8.... oh well..... I give up on em. How much of IE can you strip out without screwing up anything else??? Or am I now stuck leaving the "dead weight" on the Hard Drive ??? 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                            • BC-Programming.com
                          « Reply #46 on: December 07, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »
                          Personally I review every update; IE8 appeared before, but I'm not sure why, but it no longer appears on my updates list, nor on my "hidden updates" list. Only a few updates for the MSRT show up in my critical updates.

I've also had updates make my network card stop working, too. Generally, I review the updates, and don't install new programs or drivers through them, regardless of vendor. this includes Internet Explorer and, since it happened any driver for my hardware. Mostly just security updates.

Since you cannot find a way ot remove the program, perhaps you can uninstall the update that installed it. You can find installed updates:

In the "programs and features" control panel, the task pane on the left posesses a link to "view installed updates"; there you can probably find Internet Explorer 8 and try to uninstall it that way.

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                            « Reply #47 on: December 07, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
                            Tried that, got error "some parts failed to uninstall"... so in MS wisdom, we leave everything THERE then! Functional or not... Tried to use the Vista disc to do a "system repair"... but it looks like they took that option out too!!! I went to try and got as far as it preparing to format the HD.. so I stopped!! what's up with them taking out USEFUL options and .... never mind. I'll run on Firefox and let er go frankly I don't have time to keep fiddling around fixing their nonsense.... Thank you for trying tho!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                              • Yes
                              • Yes
                              • BC-Programming.com
                            « Reply #48 on: December 07, 2009, 05:16:36 PM »
                            is your Vista disc an actual Vista disc? Mine still has System recovery options; it's far better then that offered by XP, actually. Although I do sort of prefer the recovery console, makes me feel smart. heh.

Personally I had updated to IE8 using windows update, but found that it broke my winamp lyrics plugin, so I uninstalled it- went along without incident, fortunately.

I haven't used Internet Explorer in ages for browsing; since IE6, in fact. I found it was the main vector  that I kept getting infected with, and since switching to firefox have only had one infection that really affected me.

Does your computer only have problems running IE8? I was under the impression that FF was also experiencing symptoms as with the rest of the system (firefox works 98% of the time, should be 100%! :P). My recommendation, since I'm not 100% sure exactly what is going on, is that the next time your working with a clean install is to review each update, MS likes to try to force Internet Explorer and a few other programs because they've made the case that they are "part of the operating system". In reality, IE includes a few components that upgrade the windows versions, IE could easily make an update that includes those updated Libraries but that would mean everybody won't get IE.

Microsoft Certainly makes a good number of good programs, such as office, and Visual studio, and so on; their paid offerings are for the most part of much higher quality then what they offer for free, but what they offer for free is by no means trash; personally, I don't like IE; but some of it's version releases broke new ground with windows itself; perhaps only conceptually the whole idea of ActiveX controls, while horrible as a web-based technology, is extremely useful and powerful when developing applications.

I guess MS kind of lost interest when Netscape no longer offered much competition; and then they gave too little too late to prevent Firefox from becoming a powerful adversary.

of course Allan disagrees with me on many points here but I do hope that he can understand my position since I'm not really bashing IE itself but rather logically concluding that while it posessed a lot of potential MS kind of let it sit on IE6 for a bit too long.

Hankster58

Topic Starter

Beginner
                              « Reply #49 on: December 07, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »
                              We were thinking similar there!! Took the plunge... backed up to cd what I needed to save, wiped the drive and did a clean install....If you're gonna do it.....might as well go all the way!  and yes, other programs acted off but only occasionally.... IE8 would lock almost as fast as it LOADED!! I'm running 7 now as it came on the Vista disc with no problems whatsover....thats what frosted me most... I had no issues with Vista UNTIL IE8 went on!! Then everything went to crap... I installed a new driver for my video board, it "seemed to help", for one night!  but I still intend to use Firefox as My primary now.... both for Virus resistance...and it just seems to be less of a pain. reason I still wanted/needed IE is I'm going into setting up a Forum board, and wanted to see it on BOTH Browsers to make sure it looked and worked right. Wife does websites and she sometimes works on this one, and I wanted it 100% up to snuff... I'm also going to add new stuff more carefully and check each for any problems before adding another new program, AND plan to use the "restore points!! Had I done that, most of this stuff might have been minor instead.... Thanks for the helpful points etc.. sure i'll be BACK!! Hank