Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reinstal Windows 98  (Read 5007 times)

mjeter

Reinstal Windows 98
« on: June 09, 2005, 07:13:47 PM »
I am trying to reinstall windows 98 on an older machine so that I can donate it to some poorer people.  I have followed many differnet instructions all which include booting from a disk then formatting the c drive and then syping setup and the 'E:' prompt.  E is the letter of my CD drive where the windows 98 cd is located. The setup will not run but insted the computer says that windows is reuqired.  Well that is what I am trying to install.  Please help!  Thank you!

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Reinstal Windows 98
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 08:41:57 PM »
Have you tired the start up disk? It is a floppy that loads your computer into dos mode..
www.bootdisk.com

Or if you did that and Windows wont install try
Enter System Setup and look for Boot Sequence
the regular default should be A, C, SCSI <_ Change it so it becomes CDROM, A, C,

If not then re erase the hard drive and partion it.
www.killdisk.com

mjeter

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »
I had already done the start up disk but made a new one using that website www.bootdisk.com to be sure.  my boot sequence was also in the correct order.  I ran the program from www.killdisk.com and I am still at the same place.  My computer boots up to the A: prompt with the boot disk but when I try to install windows 98 from the CD I get nowhere.  If I try to run the cd from the E: drive (what my cd drive is named) I get the error 'this program requires microsoft windows'.  I get this error regardless if i use the setup or setup.exe command at the E: prompt.  If I copy the contents of the CD to the C: drive into a win98 directory I created and try to install from the c:\win98 prompt and regardless if I use the setup or setup.exe command nothing happens.  I just get another c:\win98 prompt. but no install.  Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 10:12:32 PM »
    Do you have a full genuine win98 install disk?
    Are you sure about E:?

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 01:40:46 AM »
    I would not mess around with boot floppies.....i would go into the bios and change the boot sequence......to boot from cdrom drive.......what is the make of this pc?

mjeter

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 06:17:18 PM »
    It is a full win98 CD as well as I am sure that it is E: as my CD drive because if I do the DIR command at the E: prompt I get a list of the contents of the CD.

In addition, the boot sequence is set to CD as the first to boot but the machine does not boot to the WIN98 CD for some reason.

Any more ideas?  Thanks again!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 07:10:38 PM »
    Don't go to the E: prompt.  At the A: prompt enter E:\setup

Don't know if it will help.
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.