Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: gateway laptop: not recognizing cd/dvd rom  (Read 2919 times)

xdjdcx

Topic Starter

gateway laptop: not recognizing cd/dvd rom
    « on: September 19, 2009, 02:19:37 PM »
    okay.. im trying to help my cousin out with her laptop. she was having some sort of issues (not related to this one) and sent it in to gateway to be serviced. she got it back around june and noticed her cd dvd rom was not being recognized. when she puts in a cd, nothing happens. i looked under device managers, and its not listed. under my computer, all that shows up is the hard disk drives c and d (recovery?). in the bios setup though, the cd rom IS listed as follows: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T40N (PM). this is a gateway laptop model ML6732 running vista. i have tried the upperfilter/lowerfilter microsoft fix, does not work.

ill add that when i got the laptop and turned it on today, under my computer, the dvd rom WAS showing up. once i put it in a cd, it disappears and does nothing.

she called gateway, because this happened after they serviced her laptop, they will not help her. they were also supposed to send her a recovery disk which they did not. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: gateway laptop: not recognizing cd/dvd rom
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »
    Remove the drive and re-seat it...
    There should be a release botton next to it.

Do this with the battery removed and power unplugged...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

xdjdcx

Topic Starter

Re: gateway laptop: not recognizing cd/dvd rom
      « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »
      okay, i ran the laptop in safe mode just to see if the drive shows up there and what do you know, it DOES. i put in a game disc just to see if it reads it and.. it does. i restart the computer in regular mode, and the drive shows up under my computer but as soon as i put in a disc, it disappears. im thinking its some program blocking it or something crazy. i guess its a needle in a haystack but ill keep trying. haha.