Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem printing in dos 6.2  (Read 33878 times)

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

Problem printing in dos 6.2
    « on: September 29, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »
    I have a Dell GX 280 computer the disk has been partitioned C: 2GB for Dos 6.2 and E: 38GB for XP Home Edition. I experience no problem printing files from the XP partition to a HP lllP printer.

However when I attempt to print from the Dos partition on Wordstar or WsWIN I get a bleep and a message that says 'Can't find PDF file or Drivers'. Likewise I get a similar message when I attempt to print a .dbf file in Foxbase.

The Dell was an upgrade from a Compaq Deskpro Pentium lll and this worked fine in both partitions for some 5+ years and this problem occurred when I upgraded to the Dell some 4 weeks ago.

However a couple of weeks ago when I struggled with this problem and with advice from a Yahoo Wordstar user group member I  printed the directory in C: with the " dir c:\> prn" command and this seemed to clear up the problem and I was then able to print from the Wordstar and Foxbase programs.

However today I experienced similar problems when attempting to print from the Dos partition and although I was able to print the Directory in the C: with the prn command... No joy with the Wordstar and Foxbase programs.

Would be grateful for any advice in this matter.

addendum:  As an afterthought it occurs to me that there may be some command whatever in the autoexec.bat file that may be relevant to the problem:

C:\DOS\SHARE.EXEC
    C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE/X
    @ECHO OFF
    PROMPT $p$g
    PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
    SET TEMP=C:\DOS
    MODE CON  CODEPAGE PREPARE=((437) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI)
    MODE CON CODEPAGE SELECT=437
    KEYB UK,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
    SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WS;C:\MASTER\FOX;C:\WSWIN;C:\PKZIP
    C:\DOS\DOSKEY.COM
    LH MSCDEX /D:12345678 /L:D
    LH MOUSE

When I load up the Dos partition I get the following :

MODE prepare code page function completed
    MODE select code page function completed
    MSCDEX Version 2.23
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1986-1993. All rights reserved
    Drive D: = Driver 12345678 unit 0

CuteMouse v 1.9
    Installed at PS/2 port

As the Dell has no PS/2 connections I don't know why that last line has been installed. [The Compaq, however has PS/2 ports for the Mouse and Keyboard that are now no longer used]

And that line has appeared after I bought the Dell machine and have initially used PS/2 adapters for my keyboard and mouse until I acquired these items with USB connectors.

I also note that Drive D: is the DVD-RAM Drive.... so no connection with MS Dos!
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:05:48 PM by kahawn »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem printing in dos 6.2
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
    Every DOS program has its own printer drivers, there are no global DOS drivers for printers.  Wordstar has a menu item for selecting a printer.  You'll have to figure it out where it is.  It's been too long since I did this myself.

The "dir c:\> prn" command is strictly a DOS command and is of little help.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 03:13:38 PM »
      Thanks for your reply Computer_Commando.

As these programs [Wordstar/Foxbase/Wordstar for Windows] have been printing in the Compaq for 5+ years and I have installed these programs from the diskettes that I used to install them in the Compaq would have thought that the drivers would be 'in place'!

And also that the printer drivers have been accessed in the Dell just a fortnight ago by printing the prn command... [just clutching at straws  :-\ ]

Wordstar and WsWin have HP lllP installed as the printer... just can't find drivers!

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:59:50 PM »
        Autoexec doesn't show any commands that are relevant to the problem, but I have found drivers for your printer on HP's website:
        Link

Hope this helps
        ,Nick(macdad-)
        If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »
          Thanks for your reply Nick.

I have downloaded the driver described as HP Laserjet lll Word/ or somesuch for MS Dos. I trust that when I install it that it will not clash with drivers already downloaded for the HP lllP via XP Wizard [Just displaying my ignorance in these matters].

And then there are the drivers that have been printing in Wordstar/WsWin/Foxbase already but cannot be accessed by the programs today!!!

I recall vaguely that when I installed WS7 some years ago via the diskettes that I had  then to download via the internet a HPLLLP.pdf driver that I then loaded ['dumped'!] via 3.5" diskettes into the Dos Directory and [for good measure] into the WS Directory... These I have done in the present set up but whether this is the effective way to install drivers in Dos I do not know. I have, however, 'installed' 'selected' HP lllP LJ printer within the WS and WsWin programs and would have thought that this should have been sufficient....

It occurs to me that I can only install the driver that I have just downloaded in the XP partition... So how will the programs in the Dos partition access them?

I will therefore wait for your reply before proceeding with the installation.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:03:02 PM »
          ...As these programs [Wordstar/Foxbase/Wordstar for Windows] have been printing in the Compaq for 5+ years and I have installed these programs from the diskettes that I used to install them in the Compaq would have thought that the drivers would be 'in place'!

And also that the printer drivers have been accessed in the Dell just a fortnight ago by printing the prn command... [just clutching at straws  :-\ ]

Wordstar and WsWin have HP lllP installed as the printer... just can't find drivers!
          Nothing in your Addendum is relevant to printing.
          I see DOS drivers for the CD-ROM and the mouse.
          When you went from Compaq to Dell, you had to reinstall WS, etc.  All printing settings would be lost.  PRN command does not access drivers, it is a basic DOS command like DIR.  I might be able to be used for your needs but may not process all the WS control codes.

BTW, I assume you are using WS for DOS and not WS for Win?  Dos6.22 is the DOS ver for Win3.1.  If it's for Win3.1, then you need to find win3.1 drivers which are likely on the Win3.1 install disks.

Your last sentence infers that it is Win3.1 and not DOS.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:45:33 AM »
            Thanks for your reply Computer_Commando

I see DOS drivers for the CD-ROM and the mouse.

I am intrigued that one can use the CD-Rom within Dos... How would one access this drive within the Dos partition? I can only access it at present in XP by clicking on the mouse.

When you went from Compaq to Dell, you had to reinstall WS, etc.  All printing settings would be lost.

If they have been lost.. how/why was I able to print in WS, WsWin and Foxbase a fortnight ago after I had 'activiated' the printer using the prn command at C: to print the Directory? [Again just layman's logic]

BTW: I should have mentioned that I now cannot print from the Dos partition in the Compaq as well and get the same 'can't access drivers' message in there! So it can't be that the drivers are in some way uninstalled....

BTW, I assume you are using WS for DOS and not WS for Win?  Dos6.22 is the DOS ver for Win3.1.  If it's for Win3.1, then you need to find win3.1 drivers which are likely on the Win3.1 install disks.

Yes. I have Win 3.1 installed in the Dos partition... Would like to know whether I could install the Win 3.1 in the XP partition and could print the WsWin files from there... but then would the drivers be available there?  ???

Just been browsing through the internet on google 'installing printer driver in dos' and got the following comment in one of the forums:

The neat ones were the older laser printers. Like the HP's had their own languages built in and controlled by supplied software and could be used for very detailed graphics control.
              http://forums.techguy.org/dos-pda-other/127999-installing-printer-ms-dos.html

So is my problem something to do with adjustments in the HP lllP printer?  And would this be resolved when I install the drivers that I downloaded from the HP site that Macdad gave me.. for MS Dos and Win 3.1?

I have to find how I can install them in the C: Dos partition... they are at present sitting in the XP E:.  So do I download them on to a 3.5" diskette and then upload them to the Dos partition...

Could you please give me the dos command to install these two drivers/programs in Dos... And should the software be placed in the C: Directory? Or the Dos Directory Or the Win 3.1 driver in the Windows Directory?
            « Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:35:56 AM by kahawn »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 12:26:20 PM »

I am intrigued that one can use the CD-Rom within Dos... How would one access this drive within the Dos partition? I can only access it at present in XP by clicking on the mouse.
            In your case:  it is Drive D

If they have been lost.. how/why was I able to print in WS, WsWin and Foxbase a fortnight ago after I had 'activiated' the printer using the prn command at C: to print the Directory? [Again just layman's logic]
            PRN command is only active for that one session.  When you turn computer off, it's gone.

Yes. I have Win 3.1 installed in the Dos partition... Would like to know whether I could install the Win 3.1 in the XP partition and could print the WsWin files from there... but then would the drivers be available there?  ???
            Create shared partition and store all data there.  Shared partition must be FAT16

So is my problem something to do with adjustments in the HP lllP printer?  And would this be resolved when I install the drivers that I downloaded from the HP site that Macdad gave me.. for MS Dos and Win 3.1?
            Win3.1 drivers are located under Main--Control Panel--Printers
            Install them from that location.

I have to find how I can install them in the C: Dos partition... they are at present sitting in the XP E:. 
            So do I download them on to a 3.5" diskette and then upload them to the Dos partition...
            Put them in the shared partition.
            Could you please give me the dos command to install these two drivers/programs in Dos... And should the software be placed in the C: Directory? Or the Dos Directory Or the Win 3.1 driver in the Windows Directory?
            Install drivers from Win3.1, not DOS 6.22

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »
              If PRN works for you then you could try adding that to AUTOEXEC.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 06:10:42 PM »
                In your case:  it is Drive D
                PRN command is only active for that one session.  When you turn computer off, it's gone.
                Create shared partition and store all data there.  Shared partition must be FAT16
                Win3.1 drivers are located under Main--Control Panel--Printers
                Install them from that location.

I have to find how I can install them in the C: Dos partition... they are at present sitting in the XP E:.  Put them in the shared partition.Install drivers from Win3.1, not DOS 6.22

Computer_Commando

Your above comments has made me reassess/clarify my position as we seem to be going 'off topic'... Let me explain: I have NO INTEREST in the XP partition in my Dell GX 280. I would happily use it for Dos and Win 3.1 as I have used the WS7/WsWin/Foxbase programs for some 25 years with 286/386 and thereafter in Pen 3 and now Pen4. [I have another Dell GX 270 solely with XP  that I use for browsing the internet, sending emails etc]

I keep referring to the XP partition as I can PRINT from that 'computer'. While I cannot, at present, print consistently from the C: [Dos] partitition. However I get far better results using WsWin with its DTP features rather than MS Word.

To solve my problem [which is the Title of this thread] I feel we must concentrate on what/where are the drivers and WHY can't they be accessed by all THREE programs in Dos. As they have worked in a SEPARATE partition for 5+ years in the Compaq Deskpro and which came back with this 'can't access drivers' after the upgrade to the Dell 280.

So I guess that there must be some problem in the the settings of the HP lllP [clutching at straws  :) ] that must have biggered something when I installed the HP lllP in the Dell 280? Initially the Dell 280 would not print from the XP partition but I used a third party professional team who got into my computer via Logmein and sorted out the problem... however they could only look at the Windows side of the computer and also were not familiar with Dos.

So I feel there is no question of SHARED partitions [would not know where to start!] but that we should treat these two Separate partitions as SEPARATE COMPUTERS.

I am therefore left with the problem of installing the drivers downloaded for Dos and Win 3.1 in the C: And can only access the C: partition via the 3.5" diskette drive... so download the drivers from E: XP and upload the drivers into the C: Dos... but then what is the dos command to install the drivers or whether the Win 3.1 driver has to be installed via Win 3.1?

Macdad

Thanks for your suggestion [it is 1.00 am in London...]  will see if it works in the morning. I feel that you are on the same wave length.

Perhaps you can make a suggestion of how/where I would install the drivers that I downloaded with the link you provided.

Ken

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »
                The partitions are separate- you can have all the drivers installed on your XP partition, this won't make a difference to your DOS partition.

Additionally, I might add that there is really no such thing as a "Dos printer" driver- each application, Word for DOS, Works, WordStar, etc, uses it's own Printer Drivers. If there are no printer drivers for the Printer for the application you have to settle for some generic printer model (or in some cases an earlier version).

For most DOS programs Printers are selected during SETUP, and there are a number of ways of adding them afterward, which would require  the installation disks- (or possibly an alternate download of the appropriate drivers).
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 02:48:55 AM »
                  The partitions are separate- you can have all the drivers installed on your XP partition, this won't make a difference to your DOS partition.

Additionally, I might add that there is really no such thing as a "Dos printer" driver- each application, Word for DOS, Works, WordStar, etc, uses it's own Printer Drivers. If there are no printer drivers for the Printer for the application you have to settle for some generic printer model (or in some cases an earlier version).

For most DOS programs Printers are selected during SETUP, and there are a number of ways of adding them afterward, which would require  the installation disks- (or possibly an alternate download of the appropriate drivers).

Thanks for your contribution BC.

Well the riddle to be solved is that these programs have functioned in the Compaq for 5+ years and were installed from the original disks... so the drivers MUST be there somewhere! During the installation [and in an attempt to solve the problem] I have re-selected the HP lllP printer in WS and WsWin and this is displayed when I attempt to print. AND I have managed to print from these programs in the Dell GX280... ONCE! ... therefore they are residing in the programs BUT CANNOT ACCESS THE DRIVERS. So [in my ignorance] I am assuming that there may be something in the HP lllP that is blocking access.

btw: The Foxbase program was obtained from a 'friendly' programmer and just consists of a copy... and I have had this for some 20+ years. And 'setup' is just to make a Directory 'Fox' and copy these files into that Directory and modify the Autoexec.bat file by setting it in the Path... And WHY am I getting a similar message from Foxbase?

And these messages are also coming from the Compaq...

13:06 GMT - PROGRESS REPORT

Loaded Dos partition, turned on printer and entered the "dir c:\> prn" command at C:\

The lights on the printer turned on at ONLINE and FORM FEED but nothing printed out.

Then went into Foxbase and printed a .dbf file...  the printer activated and BOTH reports printed on a single sheet!

Then went into WS and Voila! a txt file also printed.

Then loaded WsWin... and when attempted to print a sheet got a message:

"The printer on LPT1 is out of paper or is not connected to your computer. Check the printer cable or network connection to make sure the printer is connected, or refresh the paper supply. Then resume the print queue." 
                  Looked into Print Manager : " The HP LaserJet lllP on LPT1 (Local) is STALLED."

Exited WsWin and printed a couple of documents in WS and Foxbase... again attempted to print in WsWin and this time No Message... However the HP printer went Off Line and attempt to get it working by pressing Menu, Enter etc got a message in the printer window 'LOAD Paper'...  So turned off the printer and on again to reset settings....

Exited Dos and went into XP and here also got a similar message when attempting to print a document as I got in WsWin... Looked into the Print Manager and saw some half a dozen documents in the queue... Deleted the documents... turned printer off and on and was then able to print documents normally.

So any guesses as to what is the problem? In WsWin or the HP lllP? Perhaps a new parallel cable for the printer?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:36:04 AM by kahawn »

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »
                    Number of factors may contribute to it, I doubt the cable is the problem if some of your applications work with your printer just fine.

For installing the drivers, assumming you have a Floppy drive you could copy the Driver Setup into a Floppy, eject the floppy, exit from XP, go into DOS and access the file from the floppy.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 09:06:12 AM »
                      Number of factors may contribute to it, I doubt the cable is the problem if some of your applications work with your printer just fine.

For installing the drivers, assumming you have a Floppy drive you could copy the Driver Setup into a Floppy, eject the floppy, exit from XP, go into DOS and access the file from the floppy.

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded and then uploaded the two HP drivers to the Dos partition. I then installed them via the Windows Manager which created two Directories in the C: LJ125 and LJ550 with the unzipped files.

I then modified the Autoexec.bat file and set the two Directories in the Path.

I attempted to print a document in WsWin... no joy. Just a message as before to check paper, cable etc. I then printed a foxbase file... success. I then attempted to print a document in WS.... and got the message 'can't print. pdf or driver files not found'.

I then modified the Config.sys file by inserting 'INSTALL = C:\ LJ125' booted the computer.. still no result.

So at the end of this exercise I am not able to print in Wordstar or WsWin. Whereas before I printed some 12 pages of A4 documents in WS.

Any 'fans' of Wordstar/ WsWin on the forum?  :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      « Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »
                      which created two Directories in the C: LJ125 and LJ550 with the unzipped files.

That probably contains the Installer... OR, possibly, a "oemsetup.inf" file.

If it contains the former, run it.

if it contains the latter, then you need to install it via Windows Control Panel (did you mean "program Manager" when you said Windows Manager or was that a feature of WordStart/WSWIN? Anyway, if it contains OEMSETUP.INF... you need to use that to install it.

To do so, you need to get to the "add printer" dialog, err.... somewhere in control panel (forgive me, it has been a very long time since I used Win31) and then select the "have disk" option therein.

If I was completely confused and we really are NOT dealing with windows at all, but rather a utility that wordstar requires, I do apologize. In that case could you possibly list the contents of the folders or the URL that you downloaded the drivers from?

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »
                        That probably contains the Installer... OR, possibly, a "oemsetup.inf" file.

If it contains the former, run it.

if it contains the latter, then you need to install it via Windows Control Panel (did you mean "program Manager" when you said Windows Manager or was that a feature of WordStart/WSWIN? Anyway, if it contains OEMSETUP.INF... you need to use that to install it.

To do so, you need to get to the "add printer" dialog, err.... somewhere in control panel (forgive me, it has been a very long time since I used Win31) and then select the "have disk" option therein.

If I was completely confused and we really are NOT dealing with windows at all, but rather a utility that wordstar requires, I do apologize. In that case could you possibly list the contents of the folders or the URL that you downloaded the drivers from?

BC

Please don't apologise... just give it to me straight! [In my situation ANY communication is better than SILENCE] ;D

My problem is getting the printer to print in WS and WsWin and I am looking at any program in the Dos partition that may be causing the problem.

However macdad in msg #3 had given me a link to download drivers for the HP lllP in Dos and Win 3.1. These I did and got two zipped files : LJ125EN.exe [ for Win 3.1] and LJ550EN.exe [for Dos].

I installed these two files via the Program Manager in Windows 3.1 -> Inserted floppy disk in A: and typed 'Run' from the File menu. And followed instructions on the screen [as suggested by a note that I downloaded from google]. All it did was unzip the exe files and put them in two Directories in C:.

I was then left to decide how these Directories/files were to be accessed by the programs in the computer and therefore modified the Autoexec.bat file and thereafter the Config.sys....

The files in the Directories are:

LJ125                                                                 LJ550

OEMSETUP.INF                                                      WPHP1.ALL
                        FINSTALL.HLP                                                        README.51
                        HPLICEN.TXT                                                         HPLICEN.TXT
                        HPPCL.DRV                                                            WPPS1.ALL
                        HPPCL5MS.DRV
                        LICENSE.TXT
                        FINSTALL.DLL
                        PRINTER.TXT
                        UNIDRV.DLL
                        UNIDRV.HLP

There was nothing in the note I downloaded or in the Program Manager to do anything further about 'Install'.

And I do not know which of the above unzipped files should be run or whatever.

Would be grateful if you will clarify.

Ken

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        « Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 11:07:36 AM »
                        in the C:\LJ125 is the OEMSETUP.INF File used to install drivers in Control panel. I don't have a windows 3.1 machine or VM to check this at the moment... but I believe you may want to look in the "printers" control panel (if it exists) or something similar... I cannot remember the details for windows 3.1...

it might be in the Main Group, in the "Windows Setup" option, where you can select the printer. In either case, once your in the "Add Printer" dialog, you need to use the have disk... button, and point it at "C:\LJ125", it will find the INF file and then display a list of printers (obviously install the one you have :P)

Regarding the previously mentioned issue whereby sometimes stuff won't come out of the printer until after a few attempts- this is actually by design, believe it or not- see, when you print from DOS, it basically just tosses all the text to the printer- that is, there is no "end of page" command- so unless you print more then a pageful, it won't print it... until you print again, filling up that page. Since I believe you state this second printing is from one of your programs, it likely passes along the special codes to the printer (special characters) that tell the printer to spit out what it has. Otherwise, it might partially fill the last page- and then refuse to print it.

EDIT: not sure about the second disk... what does the readme.51 file contain?

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 12:46:46 PM »
                          BC

Went through the installation of the printer [HP lllP] via Program Manager select Print Manager.. and then Add Printer and was given a list that included the HP LaserJet lllP printer. And selected it. But I am not clear whether this was selected via the LJ125 Directory.

Did not quite understand your 'once your in the "Add Printer" dialog, you need to use the have disk... button, and point it at "C:\LJ125"... Where does this 'have disk... button' show/reside?

So far as I can see I have just re-installed the HP lllP that was in the Windows Directory and not the LJ125 Directory.

As regards the 'Readme.5.1: Just contains an explanation of how to install the WordPerfect 5.1 ALL files.

As a matter of interest the OEMSETUP.INF file reads:

[10.device]

1: HPPCL5MS.DRV  "HP LaserJet lll"  "DEVICESPECIFIC"
                          1:     - ditto-                                lllP       - do -
                          1:      - ditto-                               lllD       - do -

[IO.dependent]

HPPCL5MS.DRV = 1:UNIDRV.HLP, 1: UNIDRV.DLL

btw: Do I just delete the entry in the Autoexec.bat and the Config.sys files?

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 05:40:50 PM »
                            Don't delete the entries in either yet.

From this site:http://www.wordstar.org/wsdos/pages/printing/ws7printers.htm

It lists that HP Laserjet IIIP is supported by WordStar.
                            And that the driver for that Printer is included on the HPDJ Portable Disk.

What version of WordStar are you using?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                              • Yes
                              • Yes
                              • BC-Programming.com
                            « Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »
                            if the entries being referred to are:

I then modified the Autoexec.bat file and set the two Directories in the Path.

I attempted to print a document in WsWin... no joy. Just a message as before to check paper, cable etc. I then printed a foxbase file... success. I then attempted to print a document in WS.... and got the message 'can't print. pdf or driver files not found'.

I then modified the Config.sys file by inserting 'INSTALL = C:\ LJ125' booted the computer.. still no result.

Then yes. delete them. they do nothing. (there is no "INSTALL=" config.sys command.... and putting the extracted files on the path probably doesn't do a whole lot.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 05:52:49 PM »
                              Sorry, was little hesistant about deleting it from Config.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 03:26:28 AM »
                                macdad: The main point that I would like answered is that I have downloaded the drivers for the HP lllP in Win 3.1 and  Dos from the link given by you and that they are at present residing in the C: in two Directories LJ125 and LJ550 but I do not know how to link them to the selection of printers via the Program Manager in Win 3.1.

The link you have given to the Wordstar.org site is for Dos only. I am prepared to get the disk being offered but having not tried the one in LJ550 first..... I am using WS7 [not sure whether C or D but it was the latest (only!) one available and being sold by a distributor in Mumbai]

BC
                                : You have not explained what you meant by:

Did not quite understand your 'once your in the "Add Printer" dialog, you need to use the have disk... button, and point it at "C:\LJ125"... Where does this 'have disk... button' show/reside?

Thanks to you both for the support.

UPDATE : 15:17 GMT

Read Up on  Mastering Windows 3.1 manual and was guided how to install a printer 'other than on the those listed'. Therefore deleted the  HP LaserJet lllP from the installed printer and then selected 'HP lllP' as a new one... The Program Manager then copied the files in the LP125 Directory to Windows\System Directory.

I then attempted to print a file in WsWin and got the same result as previous.. check cable, paper whatever [or its equivalent with the display panel in the Printer saying 'MP Load letter' [paper].. for one the printer does NOT have a Multiple Tray and second I already have A4 paper loaded.

I then printed a file in Foxbase... and it worked fine.

I then attempted to print a document in WS7... bleep... 'cant'print, pdf file or drivers not found'.

So we now know that the printer works in Dos but  not with WS or WsWin! :-\

But we also know that I have printed 12 pages in WS7 a few days ago! ???
                                « Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:32:44 AM by kahawn »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                  • Yes
                                  • Yes
                                  • BC-Programming.com
                                « Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 08:56:56 AM »

It might not exist at all... I haven't used windows 3.1 for quite some time. I believe your  on the right track though.

So right now can ANY windows based program print? If not, then we can focus on simply getting the printer working, with windows, rather then trying Wordstar specific stuff :)

This being said, I have just discovered that I had Windows 3.1 installed as a virtual machine on my laptop- and have confirmed that was mistaken.

Control Pane->Printers, and the "Install..." button, on the lower right. enter "C:\LJ125" and hopefully it will find it.

But alas I am too late, you've discovered this and attempted it... I'd suggest trying to get another program, like notepad, printing. I don't believe it is WS specific but rather a issue with Windows.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 09:30:04 AM »
                                  BC

You're right. Tried to print a document in notepad and write and got the same 'feedback' from the HP printer 'Load Paper'...

So it is a problem with Windows 3.1... then how am I able to print a document in Dos with Foxbase and not WS7?

Perhaps one step at a time... So how do I resolve  printing and Windows 3.1? Do I re-install 3.1 with the [faulty?] disks I have?

Thanks

Addendum  16:50 GMT

Googling 'problem printing in windows 3.1' took me to the MS site:

Handshaking and Error Checking

The Windows COMM driver supports both hardware and software handshaking on serial ports and all standard control signals on parallel ports. When using the COMM driver (printing Direct to Port is active) with a parallel port, Windows also resets the printer between documents. The errors supported by parallel ports are "printer offline," "printer out of paper," "general error," and "printer not ready," which is actually a time-out condition on the printer busy signal.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/82746

Now if this helps in any way and you can suggest some debugging/modification of the COMM driver....
                                  « Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:53:24 AM by kahawn »

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »
                                    My bad, kahawn.

The best way would be a update of the driver, with a 'more recent' driver

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 05:57:16 AM »
                                      My bad, kahawn.

The best way would be a update of the driver, with a 'more recent' driver

Are you referring to a  comm.drv?

What is going through my mind is that the Pentium 3 worked fine for 5+ years. And as far as I can see that the only change in the software in the GX 280 is the Dos 6.2 which I was informed by the man who sold me the computer was downloaded from the internet [I had given him a box marked 6.2 ... but that was just an Upgrade].

And what also bugs me is that now BOTH machines are not printing WS7 and WsWin. WHY? And also that WS7 was printing just a few days ago!

Would it be simpler for me to download [from the internet] a copy of Win 3.1 and re-install it in the computer? I do not see [will do a more intense search] of Comm.DRV for the Win 3.1 on the internet.

Addendum: 21:14 GMT [Sunday]

Done some 'research' in Google and came to this site:

http://www.malch.com/comfaq.html#config3

....However, it is quite possible that the standard Windows driver was replaced when you installed a communications software package. You might find that yours is set to one of the following:

comm.drv = turbocom.drv

comm.drv = cybercom.drv

comm.drv = wfxcomm.drv

Most of these drivers are capable of sustaining V.34, 28,800 bps modem speeds (115,200 DTE speeds). In summary, if you are running Windows 3.0 or 3.1, you will probably need an enhanced comm.drv driver. I highly recommend Cybercom which is freeware. If you are running Windows for Workgroups 3.11, it should not be necessary to change the standard comm.drv and I recommend that you don't.

Click here to download CyberCom:

* CyberCom Windows Communications Driver (156kb)

I have downloaded CyberCom driver. But feel that this article is more about serial communications/ports and although not installed yet will go through the process if either of you feel that it should be done.

I have already checked the windows\systems directory and confirmed that the entry was "comm.drv = comm.drv" and for good measure reinstalled it from the setup disk [#1] in Windows 3.1.

However there was no joy in  printing  documents in Notepad/WsWin or WS7.
                                      « Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:30:37 PM by kahawn »

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »
                                        Just a reminder that I am awaiting a reply from either of yourselves before I proceed.

Or for any other member of the board who may care to dip their toes in this thread. ;)

Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                          • Yes
                                          • Yes
                                          • BC-Programming.com
                                        « Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
                                        I don't even see why we/you are messing about with serial port drivers when it was previously stated that the printer was a parallel port printer. serial port drivers would be used if... say- the printer was a serial printer. But then again serial printers were notoriously troublesome.

Also do you have print manager installed?

an additional note: it's not really that curious that a DOS application can print where Windows apps cannot- the DOS applications communicate with the printer directly- all windows applications use the windows driver. (or try to)

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »
                                          I don't even see why we/you are messing about with serial port drivers when it was previously stated that the printer was a parallel port printer. serial port drivers would be used if... say- the printer was a serial printer. But then again serial printers were notoriously troublesome.

Also do you have print manager installed?

an additional note: it's not really that curious that a DOS application can print where Windows apps cannot- the DOS applications communicate with the printer directly- all windows applications use the windows driver. (or try to)

BC

I am messing about because macdad suggested that I update to a more recent comm driver.  And that was the only driver I could find. As a layman I thought that the driver I have downloaded may also 'interact' with parallel ports.

If you look at a post on 3/10/09 [I can't find the number while in this post] I have posted an extract from a Microsoft site:

The Windows COMM driver supports both hardware and software handshaking on serial ports and all standard control signals on parallel ports. When using the COMM driver (printing Direct to Port is active) with a parallel port, Windows also resets the printer between documents. The errors supported by parallel ports are "printer offline," "printer out of paper," "general error," and "printer not ready," which is actually a time-out condition on the printer busy signal.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/82746

So it is equally possible that the Cybercom driver that I have downloaded may be an 'updated' version that may deal with the problem.

The Dos application is printing in ONE program .. Foxbase but NOT in WS7 [for Dos]. And the Win 3.1 application is not printing in WsWin, Notepad or Write.

btw: I have done a ant1-virus scan using Dos 6.2 and Windows scan in the C: in case the AVG 8.5 that I have installed in the XP partition is not scanning the whole disk. No viruses were detected by either program.. but as they are old [1994?] programs will they be able to?

I have just received an email from AVG that their software does scan the whole disk and that I can see the results for each drive. This I propose to do.

Just attempting in any way I can to see where the problem lies.

Have you any other suggestions?

btw: I am attempting to procure an unopened box of Win 3.1 through ebay in case the one that I have [for some 10 years I think!] is corrupted. I see from the ebay advert that the boxes have been in a cabinet drawer for some 15 years!

Don't quite follow your question about Print Manager. I have installed the HP lllP printer via the Print Manager and have also re-selected the drivers for the HP lllP that were in LJ125 that were downloaded from a link given by macdad.

In Dos the printer is 'selected' in the WS7 printing screen as it is in WsWin.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »
                                            Another 'anomaly' :

- Incorrect or out of date video drivers may cause issues with printing in Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11. Attempt to change your video card to "Standard VGA" by going to MS-DOS prompt and type cd\windows and then type setup; this can also be done through Windows.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000249.htm

Now what has the computer SCREEN got to do with the printer?

I checked my video card and found that it just "VGA" ... there was no "Standard VGA" option available in the menu.

SO WHERE OR WHAT DO I GO FROM HERE?  ???

Have I reached a stage with my problem that should be taken to another thread in a different section of the forum?

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
                                              It may be because of I/O trouble, conflict from the drivers.

Also, do you have any extra serial ports on your computer?
                                              Go ahead and see about updating the video driver.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 09:27:46 AM »
                                                Thanks for your reply macdad.

I have checked and in Dos I have One COM1 port [The same for LPT1].

As instructed in the Cybercom.Drv site I did the following:

Checked that I have a 16550a UART installed.

For interest I give other data obtained via the MSD command at the Dos prompt [advised by http://www.malch/comfaq.htm ]:

COM: Port Address 03F8H; Baud Rate : 2400; Parity: None; Data Rate: 8; Stop Bits: 1 UART Chip: 16550AF

LPT1 : 0378H; Online: No; PaperOut: No; I/O Error: Yes ; Time Out: No; Busy: No; ACK: Yes

And then Configuered the System.ini file:

1) from comm.drv = comm.drv to comm.drv = cybercom.drv

2) inserted the line in [386 Enh]

COM1FIFO= 1   [If 16550 is installed on say, COM1 then [386 Enh] COM1FIFO=1... Start or Restart Windows]

As informed in an earlier post: I had downloaded the Cybercom driver and then unzipped it. Then transferred the cybercom.exe to C:\Windows\System.

HOWEVER when I attempted to load windows got the message: Error in loading Cybercom.drv

So am at a loss as to how to INSTALL the Cybercom.exe driver i.e. CONNECT it to the COM1 port. [If that is what is required].

When I installed the LJ125.exe file [update the HPlllP printer driver] I did it via the Print Manager in Windows..

I also notice that under LPT1 information above 'I/O Error' states YES!

So is there any way to deal with these conflicts?

The articles on Cybercomm.drv is referring to modems installed... and I do not have this for Dos.

Although I recognise that installing the Cybercom.drv in COM1 MAY resolve the problem that I am having printing in Win 3.1. through LPT1..

So. Oh Wise One....!   :-\

BTW: Are we here dealing with VIDEO drivers or COMMUNICATIONS drivers? As I reported I have just VGA not 'Standard VGA' option available.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 02:51:11 PM »
                                                  From what it seems, its just that the Generic printer drivers are being redirected to COM1 for printing, yet the Cybercom driver is blocking it.

And as you said, the driver was designed for Modems.

It does seem interesting why its not blocking the port for your other Word Proccessors but only on Word Star.

If this is the case then you are doing it right by putting in the right lines in System.ini

Just for a check can you post the lines from System.ini
                                                  And also just to make sure, you have your printer hooked up to the COM port and nothing on the LPT port?

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 05:32:51 AM »
                                                    Dear macdad

You are asking or stating things that are above my head.

I assigned / selected the COM1 port to the HP lllP printer with Print Manager in Win 3.1 and if you remember [from my previous post] that when I changed the entries in system.ini from comm.drv=comm.drv to comm.drv=cybercom.drv AND entered the line COM1FIFO=1 THAT I COULD NOT LOAD Win 3.1 and got a message 'Error in loading Cybercom.drv'.

So with the COM1 port selected for the printer I attempted to print in Dos a file in WS7 and got the same bleep + 'can't print; can't find pdf files or drivers'.

However when I went into system.ini file with WS7 and gave the print command ... VOILA the file PRINTED!!! I just attempted to print because I did not relish the thought of  having to write down all the entries in that file to show them to you.

I then amended the entries I had inserted in the system.ini file as they served no purpose. And likewise amended the port settings to LPT1.

Also your comment: the printer hooked up to the COM port and not to the LPT port. All I did was change the port in Print Manager to COM1... not sure whether this changed anything in XP or WS [Dos]. Perhaps I should have exited Win 3.1 and the Dos partition and loaded XP and looked in there.. Or attempted to print a document in XP and see what happened.

But as I have informed you before I am not clear how to load Cybercom.drv ... All I have done is to insert a copy of Cybercom.exe in the Windows/System Directory. And so cannot tell whether Cybercom.exe is 'active' within the partition.

However we know that the printer prints in Foxbase AND the .ini files in windows/system in WS7. It does not print files in Win 3.1 whether in WsWin or Notepad...

Copies of the system.ini file are attached.

Ken

btw: How does one deal with I/O trouble, conflict with the drivers? ... as LPT1 showed I/O Error as YES?

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]
                                                    « Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:22:50 AM by kahawn »

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »
                                                      I'm at a loss of were the I/O error is comming from you have it all typed right in System.ini, but instead of Cybercom, try the Microsoft update of COMM.drv:

http://www.malch.com/comfaq.html#uart2

Follow the Readme included in the ZIP.
                                                      Run the installer.

Once installed, Restart as usual.

After reboot, go to command prompt and just type in the Redirect line:
                                                      Code: [Select]
                                                      mode LPT1=COM1
                                                      Try printing in all four programs(Foxbase, Notepad, etc.)

Return results for all whether they printed or not.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »
                                                        Thanks for your reply macdad.

I have downloaded the serial.zip file and unzipped it.

I have put the coms.exe file in the C: and made an entry in the first line of the Autoexec.bat file -->   COMS.EXE

As regards the rest I need a bit of hand holding [from you  :) ]

From the Readme.txt file under Dos:

Run this program BEFORE entering MS Windows; e.g. write a WIN.BAT file that calls COMS.EXE before WIN.

Where do I write this and what is the EXACT wording of the entry? Does not the entry I have made in the Autoexec.bat file cover this?

As regards your comment: "Run the installer"..... Where or How do I find this?

Then "After reboot, go to the command prompt and just type in the Redirect line "mode LPT1=COM1"

Where or How do I go into the 'Command Prompt'... Is it in Dos or in Win 3.1? And also what/where is the 'Redirect line'?

Sorry if I am being a bit thick....  :-[

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »
                                                          No problem, for AUTOEXEC.bat

You have it right, AUTOEXEC.bat runs all commands before starting.

And Command Prompt or MS-DOS Prompt is the Command Line interface in Windows 3.1.

The line provided:
                                                          mode LPT1=COM1Is the redirect line.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 03:29:12 AM »
                                                            Sorry macdad

I am still unclear:

From the Readme.txt file under Dos:

Run this program BEFORE entering MS Windows; e.g. write a WIN.BAT file that calls COMS.EXE before WIN. [/quote]

(a) Is the Autoexec.bat file just ANOTHER NAME for the Win.bat file that the Readme.txt file is referring to?

(b) Where is the INSTALLER... to Install or connect the upgraded COMS.exe. Or do I just place the COM.EXE in Windows/system Directory or in the \C:?

Then "After reboot, go to the command prompt and just type in the Redirect line "mode LPT1=COM1"

(c) Do I just type at the \C:  'LPT1=COM1'. Or do I have go into Win 3.1 and change the port from LPT1 to COM1?... or will the Redirect Line do it for me?

Again apologies for the lack of understanding on my part.  :-\

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 06:16:27 AM »
                                                              Go ahead and write the Win.bat file as the Readme says:
                                                              COMS.EXE
                                                              And place it in the Windows System directory along with COMS.exe

And COMS.exe was the installer I was referring to, but from what the readme says it says run it before windows starts.

And for Redirection, the redirect line should do the trick, if not then try changing it from Window's Control Panel.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 08:14:17 AM »
                                                                macdad

Perhaps it is not my day and I have not been expressing myself clearly [you certainly aren't  ... just cryptically :D ]

a) How is the win.bat file WRITTEN? Please SPELL IT OUT....

is it written 'mode LPT1 = COM1' ?  Or is it 'mode COMS.EXE'? And do I just insert it in the windows/system directory or a line in  the .ini file?

I feel that we are so near... yet so far... to a resolution of my problem.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2009, 05:06:02 PM »
                                                                  Open up Notepad and type this:
                                                                  COMS.EXESave that as WIN.BAT to the Windows System Directory along with COMS.EXE.

Reboot.

And open up Windows 3.1 Command Prompt(MS-DOS Prompt), This isn't in MS-DOS this is just the command line interface in Windows:

And type this into Command Prompt:

mode LPT1=COM1
                                                                  Now open a new Notepad document and just type in something as a test print.

Print that file.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2009, 04:43:54 AM »
                                                                    Thanks for your very clear guide.

However no joy... :'(

The same [non] results as before.... attempting to print from notebook got the same message in the printer display 'load paper'... in WS7... 'can't print; can't find pdf file or drivers'.. I was able to print a Foxbase file as usual.

I noted that when I looked into the ports [in Print Manager] after going through the exercise that the Printer port was shown as LPT1... I then changed it to COM1 and again got the same [non] result. I suppose that inserting the 'mode LPT1=COM1' at the Command Prompt changes the port for that session...

It does occur to me that the upgraded COMM.DRV that I have downloaded has not been 'installed'  to replace the existing driver... it is just sitting in the Serial Directory that I created in the C:\ when I unzipped the file.

Is there anything that should be done with this area?

STOP PRESS 21:28 GMT

Have just found out that there is only ONE printer installed in the print menu for WS7 viz HPLLLP.

Prior to that there were the built-in drivers for :

ASC256 | ASCII | DRAFT | FAX | WS4

So where have these gone?

I have gone into 'wschange' and reverted to default settings... and the printers/drivers are back in the printing menu.

I thereafter printer one document in WS7 in HPLLLP and that document PRINTED!  ;D

I then went into WsWIN and attempted to print a document... AND THAT DID NOT PRINT. [the usual display in the printer 'Load paper']  >:(

So just ONE hurdle to overcome... printing in Win 3.1...
                                                                    « Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:57:05 PM by kahawn »

macdad-

Expert

Thanked: 40
                                                                      « Reply #42 on: October 17, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »
                                                                      Alright, go to Control Panel in Windows 3.1 and hit Printers

Does your HP IIIP printer show up under the list?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                                      • Thanked: 1140
                                                                        • Yes
                                                                        • Yes
                                                                        • BC-Programming.com
                                                                      • OS: Windows 11
                                                                      « Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 10:11:10 PM »
                                                                      WHY are we trying to redirect the serial port to the parallel port if the printer connects to the parallel port?

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 03:13:33 AM »
                                                                        Alright, go to Control Panel in Windows 3.1 and hit Printers

Does your HP IIIP printer show up under the list?

There is only ONE printer and that is the HP lllP shown on the list 'HP lllP on LPT1'

To report also a bit of erratic behaviour in WS7.. This morning foud that when I attempted to print a document got a bleep.. 'c'ant print'... found that the program had 'selected' the printer as 'Draft'... I changed it to HP LLLP and then it worked fine. Also at another point the program had selected 'HP IIIP' and that also gave a 'bleep'.

Also found that when I attempted to print at the C: with 'dir c:\>prn' that the printer's lights went on as if it were going to print but nothing happened. I then took it off line and printed it out by using the 'continue/form feed' button. The same thing happened at the MS Dos prompt in Win 3.1

Also had some joy in printing a document in WsWin. However it was only a freshly created document. Attempting to print a document created in WS7 and imported into WsWin gave the same 'Load paper' at the printer. [ALL the documents I have in WsWin have been created in WS7... :-\ ]

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:25:55 AM by kahawn »

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 03:20:41 AM »
                                                                          WHY are we trying to redirect the serial port to the parallel port if the printer connects to the parallel port?

In desperation....  :-[

We [macdad and myself] got to a point where it was suggested that we upgrade the comm.drv and the only one I could find was the Cybercom.drv which is connected to a COM port. I believe that you commented on this aspect of a serial port and a parallel cable earlier in this thread.

However, at present, none of the programs are connected to the COM1 port.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
                                                                            Alright open up the Properties for your printer.

Right Click the Icon for hit and hit "Properties", once the Dialog opens up hit the "Ports" Tab.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
                                                                              macdad

please clarify: Am I working in Win 3.1 or XP or Dos?

And what does 'right click the Icon for hit' mean?

And what am I looking for in the "Ports" tab?

thanks

22:11 GMT

Just to report that the erratic behaviour with the printers in WS7 has been sorted with my having to use 'wschange ws ' and adjusting the settings for printer display at startup.
                                                                              « Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:13:22 PM by kahawn »

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 08:04:35 AM »
                                                                                Sorry this:
                                                                                Right Click the Icon for hit and hit
                                                                                was a typo.

But under the Ports tab, is there a list with check boxes and port names?

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 03:47:05 PM »
                                                                                  Don't know whether I have understood you about this.

However when I go into Win 3.1 and click on to the Print Manager -> Printers all I see is a box that states 'HP Laserjet lllP on LPT1"

If I click around and find 'ports' tab... I am given a box that shows COM1 | COM2 | COM3 | COM4

And have found a pop down list that gives 'properties' and this takes me to a box that shows the properties of the Printer installed.... HP LJ lllP... ???

There is nothing that I can 'right click' on in this menu.

Am I doing all this in Win 3.1 or do you want me to go into XP?

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2009, 11:19:24 AM »
                                                                                    This is all in Win 3.1.

Ok, on that Ports tab, does it have any checkboxes next to that list of Com Ports?

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »
                                                                                      This is all in Win 3.1.

Ok, on that Ports tab, does it have any checkboxes next to that list of Com Ports?

None so far as I can guage.

Is there anything that you want me to do to change the port from LPT1 to COM1?

Believe earlier in this thread I did just that...in msg # 41...

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »
                                                                                        That attempt should of worked but since its Windows it didn't seem to register.

In the ports tab does it just list the Ports in a drop down Combo box or how?

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »
                                                                                          macdad

The ports are just shown in a 'combo' box... not a drop-down.

I thought you had a 'virtual' win 3.1 and therefore should be able to see it!

Wish I could copy the image in Dos/Win 3.1 whatever and post it as an attachment...

But, again, I ask what is it that you are wishing me to do with the ports?

So far as I can see there is only ONE LPT and ONE COM port available in Win 3.1... although 4 are shown... [perhaps for other functions eg FAX]... but I am no expert in this area. :-X

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2009, 07:12:15 PM »
                                                                                            The other COM ports are reserved when expansion cards are added(Such as modems)

With the ports, drop down to where COM1 is selected in the combo box.

You can try the Prnt Screen key on your keyboard to get an image of your screen,
                                                                                            then open up Paint an paste to that image, save it to a Floppy then post that image here(When posting) under "Additional Options".

And to be frank, I'm doing this blindly, I have no Windows 3.1 I just found these pictures from Google.  :-[

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2009, 05:46:14 AM »
                                                                                              macdad

Have tried using the Ctrl+P and the Print Screen keyboard key when the Win 3.1 boxes are displayed.... no joy.

When one opens up Paintbrush one just gets a screen to insert data... nothing that one can post so far as I can see. Nothing like the Win XP facilities.

However I am still at a loss to know [or anticipate] your thoughts in looking at the COM ports in Win 3.1.

The printer selected in the Print Manager is 'HP Laserjet lllP on LPT1'. And this is printing alright in Dos and Win 3.1 in PART... not in Notebook or archived files in WSWin.

I can [have] set the printer to COM1 and attempted printing... no joy [but in this case do not know if the correct driver was also connected to the printer/port].

Ken

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                                                                • Yes
                                                                                                • Yes
                                                                                                • BC-Programming.com
                                                                                              « Reply #56 on: October 27, 2009, 06:59:01 AM »
                                                                                              you paste into paintbrush and save the file, then you upload that file.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2009, 08:04:48 AM »
                                                                                                you paste into paintbrush and save the file, then you upload that file.

How does one 'capture' the file in the first place? In XP one would scroll with the mouse over the picture [whatever] one wanted to capture and then ^+C to paste it to the Clipboard and ^+v to paste it to any other program/area whatever.

In Win 3.1 there is no facility to 'scroll' over the area that is to be captured. And when one loads Paintbrush one just gets a screen and the other screen [with COM ports] is overwritten/disappears.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                                                                  • Yes
                                                                                                  • Yes
                                                                                                  • BC-Programming.com
                                                                                                « Reply #58 on: October 27, 2009, 08:14:04 AM »
                                                                                                Printscreen. It's exactly the same as with newer windows OS's.

Use printscreen to capture image to the clipboard. (I recommend using Alt+Printscreen)

Open paintbrush.

Paste.

Use Save to save the image.

Transfer to Internet-enabled PC.

upload/attach to a post.

No windows OS allows you to use Control+C to capture screenshots.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »
                                                                                                  BC

Thanks for your advice.

I am attaching 2 jpg files prepared in accordance with your instructions.

Quote
                                                                                                  No windows OS allows you to use Control+C to capture screenshots.

Not if one has a utility like Clipmate 7.3 on the computer.  ;)

Ken

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                                                                    • Yes
                                                                                                    • Yes
                                                                                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                                                                                  « Reply #60 on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »
                                                                                                  try unchecking fast printing direct to port.

Also we should stop following this silly train of thought... if the printer is plugged into your Printer port then we don't need to involve the COM ports. (of course if it IS plugged into a COM port... well that's a different story)

The COM ports are for serial devices- period. Nothing else.

Try unchecking the fast printing... checkbox, see what effect that has. also make sure the port is set to LPT1.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »
                                                                                                    BP

Have unchecked fast print to port and confirmed printer set to LPT1.

No joy either printing from Notepad or in WSWin archive document... get the same message on HPlllP display 'MP Load Letter' [calling for letter size rather than A4 in the tray  - not PAPER as previously stated].

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                                                                      • Yes
                                                                                                      • Yes
                                                                                                      • BC-Programming.com
                                                                                                    « Reply #62 on: October 27, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »
                                                                                                    Control Panel->Printers

select the laserjet. click Setup.

Change the paper source and paper size.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2009, 01:10:51 PM »
                                                                                                      BC

Did what you suggested: Removed the HP Laserjet lllP and selected HP Laserjet.

Was asked to insert disk #6 of the Win 3.1 pack... got a message that the UNIDRV [or somesuch] installed in the computer was more recent than the one on th diskette... Did I want to overwrite it? Said No.

There is nothing to do with regard to Changing paper source.. the alternative is 'manual' and the paper size for the printer is A4... always has been for YEARS!

However after all this got the SAME RESULT with attempting to print in Notebook or WSWin archived files.  :'(

So I re-installed the HP Laserjet lllP.... and ticked the 'fast printing' box.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                                                                        • Yes
                                                                                                        • Yes
                                                                                                        • BC-Programming.com
                                                                                                      « Reply #64 on: October 27, 2009, 02:33:46 PM »
                                                                                                      I meant check the settings for the laserjet 3; I wasn't suggesting to remove anything at all, although I can see how it was interpreted that way.

There is a "setup" button on the resulting dialog, after clicking printers in control panel.

Select the printer from there, and click that setup button.

The laserjet III and it's driver can detect when the selected tray is empty, and prompt for more paper. In this case it might be that a paper source is selected that has no paper.

Quote

There is nothing to do with regard to Changing paper source.. the alternative is 'manual' and the paper size for the printer is A4... always has been for YEARS!

The paper size,paper source, and other settings are stored on the PC. reinstalling the driver has the effect of clearing these settings, regardless of how many "years" it has been set; and you've tinkered with a large number of drivers.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2009, 02:46:09 PM »
                                                                                                        BC

I have re-installed the HP LaserJet lllP and have therefore gone through the panels that you have shown.

There is only an Upper Tray [no other] to select and likewise the paper size is  8 1/2 x 11.

And the PRINTER informs one when the tray is empty or not quite properly inserted in the tray..

And [as  layman] cannot quite see why the printer/program is SELECTIVELY printing files in WSWin.... Of course as an expert you are in a better position to suggest probabilties... whereas my focus may lie in long usage...

Ken

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2009, 04:40:02 PM »
                                                                                                          Thanks BC,

And sorry Kahawn, kinda doing this blindy.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 04:52:08 AM »
                                                                                                            Thanks BC,

And sorry Kahawn, kinda doing this blindy.

As one who is blind in both eyes...  :D

Am now looking to see if there are any more 'contributors' who will dip their toes and perhaps take the thread to 100!

Has been suggested elsewhere that it is a problem with 'handshaking'... whatever that implies/means... perhaps that is what you [and BC] are driving at?

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »
                                                                                                              PROGRESS REPORT

Read the HP Printer Manual where it said that to override the Display messages hold down the Alt key and depress the Continue button.

IT WORKS... When the Display shows 'MP Load Letter' it will print the Notepad document as well as the WSWin 'archive' file.

However this must be done for every printout.  :-\ [unless one is printing multiple pages in that document... not checked this as yet].

The Manual also states that the computer software will override any software in the Printer.

So I conclude there is some message in Win 3.1 that brings up the 'MP Load Letter' in the Printer Display.

So are there any experts in Win 3.1 that can identify the problem?

Thanks

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2009, 05:56:17 AM »
                                                                                                                PROBLEM SOLVED...

Found that when the printer display showed 'MP Load Paper' I looked at the Page Setup for the document in the Computer and found that they were 8 x 11 1/4... changed them to A4 and Voila! the document printed.

Now why  the settings in the documents changed to Letter is a mystery as I have always been using A4 for preparing my files.

In any case I would like to thank macdad and BC for their support and for introducing me to new facets in Dos and Win 3.1.

Ken

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                                                                                  • Yes
                                                                                                                  • Yes
                                                                                                                  • BC-Programming.com
                                                                                                                « Reply #70 on: November 04, 2009, 12:49:24 AM »
                                                                                                                It would have changed when you fiddled about with the drivers, or perhaps tweaked something else; the printer page, or more precisely, what shows up on the printer page, is controlled by the driver but that data is stored in... Win.ini, I believe.

Now, if that printer had a more descriptive error message, you might have avoided all this tedium!

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2009, 02:32:34 AM »
                                                                                                                  BC

Thanks for your comment BC

However I feel that the Printer Display is a very small area and the 'message' fills it.. If I were a computer buff [and perhaps 25 years younger] I would have worked it out quicker... with hindsight it cannot have been clearer : MP Load Letter [sized] Paper! No pressure to solve the problem in retirement.

All this 'tedium' [as you put it] has been solved with two simple procedures: re-setting WSWin to its original settings in Wswchange ws [to find the 'drivers'] and looking at the Page Setup before printing.

Reflect on the time when I was a Manager/Accountant in a small firm and did not have the patience to wait for the engineer to visit the office and would tackle any problems with the photocopier myself....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                                                                                    • Yes
                                                                                                                    • Yes
                                                                                                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                                                                                                  « Reply #72 on: November 04, 2009, 02:34:50 AM »
                                                                                                                  oh yes, I keep forgetting the display is on the printer, not the screen, not a lot of real estate there.