Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem printing in dos 6.2  (Read 33910 times)

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Problem printing in dos 6.2
    « Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »
    That probably contains the Installer... OR, possibly, a "oemsetup.inf" file.

If it contains the former, run it.

if it contains the latter, then you need to install it via Windows Control Panel (did you mean "program Manager" when you said Windows Manager or was that a feature of WordStart/WSWIN? Anyway, if it contains OEMSETUP.INF... you need to use that to install it.

To do so, you need to get to the "add printer" dialog, err.... somewhere in control panel (forgive me, it has been a very long time since I used Win31) and then select the "have disk" option therein.

If I was completely confused and we really are NOT dealing with windows at all, but rather a utility that wordstar requires, I do apologize. In that case could you possibly list the contents of the folders or the URL that you downloaded the drivers from?

BC

Please don't apologise... just give it to me straight! [In my situation ANY communication is better than SILENCE] ;D

My problem is getting the printer to print in WS and WsWin and I am looking at any program in the Dos partition that may be causing the problem.

However macdad in msg #3 had given me a link to download drivers for the HP lllP in Dos and Win 3.1. These I did and got two zipped files : LJ125EN.exe [ for Win 3.1] and LJ550EN.exe [for Dos].

I installed these two files via the Program Manager in Windows 3.1 -> Inserted floppy disk in A: and typed 'Run' from the File menu. And followed instructions on the screen [as suggested by a note that I downloaded from google]. All it did was unzip the exe files and put them in two Directories in C:.

I was then left to decide how these Directories/files were to be accessed by the programs in the computer and therefore modified the Autoexec.bat file and thereafter the Config.sys....

The files in the Directories are:

LJ125                                                                 LJ550

OEMSETUP.INF                                                      WPHP1.ALL
    FINSTALL.HLP                                                        README.51
    HPLICEN.TXT                                                         HPLICEN.TXT
    HPPCL.DRV                                                            WPPS1.ALL
    HPPCL5MS.DRV
    LICENSE.TXT
    FINSTALL.DLL
    PRINTER.TXT
    UNIDRV.DLL
    UNIDRV.HLP

There was nothing in the note I downloaded or in the Program Manager to do anything further about 'Install'.

And I do not know which of the above unzipped files should be run or whatever.

Would be grateful if you will clarify.

Ken

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 11:07:36 AM »
    in the C:\LJ125 is the OEMSETUP.INF File used to install drivers in Control panel. I don't have a windows 3.1 machine or VM to check this at the moment... but I believe you may want to look in the "printers" control panel (if it exists) or something similar... I cannot remember the details for windows 3.1...

it might be in the Main Group, in the "Windows Setup" option, where you can select the printer. In either case, once your in the "Add Printer" dialog, you need to use the have disk... button, and point it at "C:\LJ125", it will find the INF file and then display a list of printers (obviously install the one you have :P)

Regarding the previously mentioned issue whereby sometimes stuff won't come out of the printer until after a few attempts- this is actually by design, believe it or not- see, when you print from DOS, it basically just tosses all the text to the printer- that is, there is no "end of page" command- so unless you print more then a pageful, it won't print it... until you print again, filling up that page. Since I believe you state this second printing is from one of your programs, it likely passes along the special codes to the printer (special characters) that tell the printer to spit out what it has. Otherwise, it might partially fill the last page- and then refuse to print it.

EDIT: not sure about the second disk... what does the readme.51 file contain?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 12:46:46 PM »
      BC

Went through the installation of the printer [HP lllP] via Program Manager select Print Manager.. and then Add Printer and was given a list that included the HP LaserJet lllP printer. And selected it. But I am not clear whether this was selected via the LJ125 Directory.

Did not quite understand your 'once your in the "Add Printer" dialog, you need to use the have disk... button, and point it at "C:\LJ125"... Where does this 'have disk... button' show/reside?

So far as I can see I have just re-installed the HP lllP that was in the Windows Directory and not the LJ125 Directory.

As regards the 'Readme.5.1: Just contains an explanation of how to install the WordPerfect 5.1 ALL files.

As a matter of interest the OEMSETUP.INF file reads:

[10.device]

1: HPPCL5MS.DRV  "HP LaserJet lll"  "DEVICESPECIFIC"
      1:     - ditto-                                lllP       - do -
      1:      - ditto-                               lllD       - do -

[IO.dependent]

HPPCL5MS.DRV = 1:UNIDRV.HLP, 1: UNIDRV.DLL

btw: Do I just delete the entry in the Autoexec.bat and the Config.sys files?

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 05:40:50 PM »
        Don't delete the entries in either yet.

From this site:http://www.wordstar.org/wsdos/pages/printing/ws7printers.htm

It lists that HP Laserjet IIIP is supported by WordStar.
        And that the driver for that Printer is included on the HPDJ Portable Disk.

What version of WordStar are you using?

If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »
        if the entries being referred to are:

I then modified the Autoexec.bat file and set the two Directories in the Path.

I attempted to print a document in WsWin... no joy. Just a message as before to check paper, cable etc. I then printed a foxbase file... success. I then attempted to print a document in WS.... and got the message 'can't print. pdf or driver files not found'.

I then modified the Config.sys file by inserting 'INSTALL = C:\ LJ125' booted the computer.. still no result.

Then yes. delete them. they do nothing. (there is no "INSTALL=" config.sys command.... and putting the extracted files on the path probably doesn't do a whole lot.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 05:52:49 PM »
          Sorry, was little hesistant about deleting it from Config.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 03:26:28 AM »
            macdad: The main point that I would like answered is that I have downloaded the drivers for the HP lllP in Win 3.1 and  Dos from the link given by you and that they are at present residing in the C: in two Directories LJ125 and LJ550 but I do not know how to link them to the selection of printers via the Program Manager in Win 3.1.

The link you have given to the Wordstar.org site is for Dos only. I am prepared to get the disk being offered but having not tried the one in LJ550 first..... I am using WS7 [not sure whether C or D but it was the latest (only!) one available and being sold by a distributor in Mumbai]

BC
            : You have not explained what you meant by:

Did not quite understand your 'once your in the "Add Printer" dialog, you need to use the have disk... button, and point it at "C:\LJ125"... Where does this 'have disk... button' show/reside?

Thanks to you both for the support.

UPDATE : 15:17 GMT

Read Up on  Mastering Windows 3.1 manual and was guided how to install a printer 'other than on the those listed'. Therefore deleted the  HP LaserJet lllP from the installed printer and then selected 'HP lllP' as a new one... The Program Manager then copied the files in the LP125 Directory to Windows\System Directory.

I then attempted to print a file in WsWin and got the same result as previous.. check cable, paper whatever [or its equivalent with the display panel in the Printer saying 'MP Load letter' [paper].. for one the printer does NOT have a Multiple Tray and second I already have A4 paper loaded.

I then printed a file in Foxbase... and it worked fine.

I then attempted to print a document in WS7... bleep... 'cant'print, pdf file or drivers not found'.

So we now know that the printer works in Dos but  not with WS or WsWin! :-\

But we also know that I have printed 12 pages in WS7 a few days ago! ???
            « Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:32:44 AM by kahawn »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 08:56:56 AM »

It might not exist at all... I haven't used windows 3.1 for quite some time. I believe your  on the right track though.

So right now can ANY windows based program print? If not, then we can focus on simply getting the printer working, with windows, rather then trying Wordstar specific stuff :)

This being said, I have just discovered that I had Windows 3.1 installed as a virtual machine on my laptop- and have confirmed that was mistaken.

Control Pane->Printers, and the "Install..." button, on the lower right. enter "C:\LJ125" and hopefully it will find it.

But alas I am too late, you've discovered this and attempted it... I'd suggest trying to get another program, like notepad, printing. I don't believe it is WS specific but rather a issue with Windows.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 09:30:04 AM »
              BC

You're right. Tried to print a document in notepad and write and got the same 'feedback' from the HP printer 'Load Paper'...

So it is a problem with Windows 3.1... then how am I able to print a document in Dos with Foxbase and not WS7?

Perhaps one step at a time... So how do I resolve  printing and Windows 3.1? Do I re-install 3.1 with the [faulty?] disks I have?

Thanks

Addendum  16:50 GMT

Googling 'problem printing in windows 3.1' took me to the MS site:

Handshaking and Error Checking

The Windows COMM driver supports both hardware and software handshaking on serial ports and all standard control signals on parallel ports. When using the COMM driver (printing Direct to Port is active) with a parallel port, Windows also resets the printer between documents. The errors supported by parallel ports are "printer offline," "printer out of paper," "general error," and "printer not ready," which is actually a time-out condition on the printer busy signal.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/82746

Now if this helps in any way and you can suggest some debugging/modification of the COMM driver....
              « Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 09:53:24 AM by kahawn »

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »
                My bad, kahawn.

The best way would be a update of the driver, with a 'more recent' driver

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 05:57:16 AM »
                  My bad, kahawn.

The best way would be a update of the driver, with a 'more recent' driver

Are you referring to a  comm.drv?

What is going through my mind is that the Pentium 3 worked fine for 5+ years. And as far as I can see that the only change in the software in the GX 280 is the Dos 6.2 which I was informed by the man who sold me the computer was downloaded from the internet [I had given him a box marked 6.2 ... but that was just an Upgrade].

And what also bugs me is that now BOTH machines are not printing WS7 and WsWin. WHY? And also that WS7 was printing just a few days ago!

Would it be simpler for me to download [from the internet] a copy of Win 3.1 and re-install it in the computer? I do not see [will do a more intense search] of Comm.DRV for the Win 3.1 on the internet.

Addendum: 21:14 GMT [Sunday]

Done some 'research' in Google and came to this site:

http://www.malch.com/comfaq.html#config3

....However, it is quite possible that the standard Windows driver was replaced when you installed a communications software package. You might find that yours is set to one of the following:

comm.drv = turbocom.drv

comm.drv = cybercom.drv

comm.drv = wfxcomm.drv

Most of these drivers are capable of sustaining V.34, 28,800 bps modem speeds (115,200 DTE speeds). In summary, if you are running Windows 3.0 or 3.1, you will probably need an enhanced comm.drv driver. I highly recommend Cybercom which is freeware. If you are running Windows for Workgroups 3.11, it should not be necessary to change the standard comm.drv and I recommend that you don't.

Click here to download CyberCom:

* CyberCom Windows Communications Driver (156kb)

I have downloaded CyberCom driver. But feel that this article is more about serial communications/ports and although not installed yet will go through the process if either of you feel that it should be done.

I have already checked the windows\systems directory and confirmed that the entry was "comm.drv = comm.drv" and for good measure reinstalled it from the setup disk [#1] in Windows 3.1.

However there was no joy in  printing  documents in Notepad/WsWin or WS7.
                  « Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:30:37 PM by kahawn »

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »
                    Just a reminder that I am awaiting a reply from either of yourselves before I proceed.

Or for any other member of the board who may care to dip their toes in this thread. ;)

Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
                    I don't even see why we/you are messing about with serial port drivers when it was previously stated that the printer was a parallel port printer. serial port drivers would be used if... say- the printer was a serial printer. But then again serial printers were notoriously troublesome.

Also do you have print manager installed?

an additional note: it's not really that curious that a DOS application can print where Windows apps cannot- the DOS applications communicate with the printer directly- all windows applications use the windows driver. (or try to)

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »
                      I don't even see why we/you are messing about with serial port drivers when it was previously stated that the printer was a parallel port printer. serial port drivers would be used if... say- the printer was a serial printer. But then again serial printers were notoriously troublesome.

Also do you have print manager installed?

an additional note: it's not really that curious that a DOS application can print where Windows apps cannot- the DOS applications communicate with the printer directly- all windows applications use the windows driver. (or try to)

BC

I am messing about because macdad suggested that I update to a more recent comm driver.  And that was the only driver I could find. As a layman I thought that the driver I have downloaded may also 'interact' with parallel ports.

If you look at a post on 3/10/09 [I can't find the number while in this post] I have posted an extract from a Microsoft site:

The Windows COMM driver supports both hardware and software handshaking on serial ports and all standard control signals on parallel ports. When using the COMM driver (printing Direct to Port is active) with a parallel port, Windows also resets the printer between documents. The errors supported by parallel ports are "printer offline," "printer out of paper," "general error," and "printer not ready," which is actually a time-out condition on the printer busy signal.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/82746

So it is equally possible that the Cybercom driver that I have downloaded may be an 'updated' version that may deal with the problem.

The Dos application is printing in ONE program .. Foxbase but NOT in WS7 [for Dos]. And the Win 3.1 application is not printing in WsWin, Notepad or Write.

btw: I have done a ant1-virus scan using Dos 6.2 and Windows scan in the C: in case the AVG 8.5 that I have installed in the XP partition is not scanning the whole disk. No viruses were detected by either program.. but as they are old [1994?] programs will they be able to?

I have just received an email from AVG that their software does scan the whole disk and that I can see the results for each drive. This I propose to do.

Just attempting in any way I can to see where the problem lies.

Have you any other suggestions?

btw: I am attempting to procure an unopened box of Win 3.1 through ebay in case the one that I have [for some 10 years I think!] is corrupted. I see from the ebay advert that the boxes have been in a cabinet drawer for some 15 years!

Don't quite follow your question about Print Manager. I have installed the HP lllP printer via the Print Manager and have also re-selected the drivers for the HP lllP that were in LJ125 that were downloaded from a link given by macdad.

In Dos the printer is 'selected' in the WS7 printing screen as it is in WsWin.

kahawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »
                        Another 'anomaly' :

- Incorrect or out of date video drivers may cause issues with printing in Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11. Attempt to change your video card to "Standard VGA" by going to MS-DOS prompt and type cd\windows and then type setup; this can also be done through Windows.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000249.htm

Now what has the computer SCREEN got to do with the printer?

I checked my video card and found that it just "VGA" ... there was no "Standard VGA" option available in the menu.

SO WHERE OR WHAT DO I GO FROM HERE?  ???

Have I reached a stage with my problem that should be taken to another thread in a different section of the forum?