Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: background Internet activity  (Read 9182 times)

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: background Internet activity
    « Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »
    I do understand that the router is in constant communication - flashing. On the Task Manager they show up as identifiable single, regular blips on the graph under networking.

What I am talking about are stretches of many minutes on end where there is obvious, lengthy downloading/uploading going on. On Task Manager this shows up as continuous jags on the graph. When this activity is not ongoing, then there are regular, single blips on the graph indicating the PC is checking for new mail or whatever - flashing.

My point is that when there is the lengthy activity I mentioned above, the modem is obviously busy doing something other than micro-second checks. In this state, my modem or if you wish, the Internet will not process any requests I make for it to do anything - it is very busy - not just microsecond flashing

Mulreay

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »
    And how is your WPA password protection?

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 05:05:02 PM »
      Mulreay you ask And how is your WPA password protection?"  I do not know. How do I find out?

I am almost certain that the activity that I am referring to is from a program on my PC, not anything worse BUT, when it happens, I would like to know which program is doing this and then slap it! I have probably allowed some of my software to automatically access the Internet to update itself. This I want to stop.

uldisrex

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »
        Surely, there must be software out there that will tell me when something in my PC [other than I] calls home, for any reason, and will identify this software. This is what I am looking for.

Mulreay

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »
        Ok you need to check your firewall and adjust your settings for programmes allowed to access the internet.
        If you need help with that please tell me which system you are using (firewall) and i will endeavour to help  ;)

stivo79

Greenhorn

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
          i seem to be having a similar problem.  when i open internet explorer, instantly under processes it shows 2 iexplore.exe's.  then it just multiplies the more i use the net.  and even when i've closed internet explorer,  there's still like 10 iexplore.exe.  and even keeps popping up this balloon that says this tab has been restored, still with no explorer open.  anti virus is up to date and picks up nothing.  in other words how do i make it so i don't have to go through and end the process trees? :'(

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
          stivo you need to start your own Topic...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "