Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS start up steps?  (Read 3981 times)

selloo

Topic Starter

Starter

BIOS start up steps?
    « on: November 11, 2009, 11:47:03 AM »
    Im trying to find out the steps of starting up the OS in detail, not constructing it, but what it does to start up, like what each part checks. I'm specifically looking for CMOS start up steps. Its for a project and i just really know what it does and how it flows into the next part of BIOS...
    can anyone help? ???

Blake00

Beginner

Re: BIOS start up steps?
      « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:49:54 AM »
      Upon entering the BIOS screen the first option should be "standard CMOS setup" this is what you want, it should already be highlighted so press return/enter and you will be taken to the CMOS screen. The CMOS is the place where you will set up the basic data for your computer to start correctly. You can start at the top with the date and time. It may be correct already but if not set this by using the arrow keys to move and Pg up and Pg down to modify the highlighted item. You set the correct time this way as well. 

selloo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »
        so really all CMOS does is set up the time...and set up for the computer to work correctly?
        haha i really dont know..

Blake00

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
          Haha well kind of.

CMOS and BIOS are often used interchangeably, but you can think of the BIOS as software, and CMOS as the hardware running it. If someone tells you to "go into your computers CMOS," or to "go into BIOS and change something", they probably mean the same thing: Enter the low-level settings on your PC to make modifications.

CMOS hardware in your PC that performs very low-level functions and very basic computer start routines.

The BIOS is an interface that allows a user to make low-level changes to a PC's motherboard, CPU, memory and other devices.

selloo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »
            okay thank you  :)
            i think i understand better now.
            and i think i know what it does well enough to maybe get something done on that project.

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:00:12 PM »

Blake00

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »
              okay thank you  :)
              i think i understand better now.
              and i think i know what it does well enough to maybe get something done on that project.

lol no problem.That's good. Good luck with the project.

Blake00

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »