Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Aspire 4520 Startup Repair  (Read 9974 times)

ejeanruport

Topic Starter

Rookie

Aspire 4520 Startup Repair
    « on: October 11, 2009, 04:01:37 PM »
    My Granddaughters Acer Aspire 4520 64x2 running Windows Vista, over heated (fan plugged with lint) when it restarted it went to Startup Repair. I don't know what she did but now it tells me files are not there. I have a Recovery Disk but have to get to BIOS to reset Boot order. Problem; when I start the computer the keyboard arrow keys are not working so I can not make any choices. Any advice will be great.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Aspire 4520 Startup Repair
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
    Since this is a laptop (I assume), remove the power cord and the battery for a few minutes, just to make sure it's really shut off.  Then reconnect both, depress power button and immediately and continuously tap the Setup key (to enter the BIOS).  On your Acer, it's not the arrow keys but DEL or F1 or F10.  You should be able to set Boot Order there.  I think the other menu you see is located on the recovery partition.

ejeanruport

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:41:07 AM »
      Sorry this has been a bad week so I am just now getting back to this computer.
      This is a laptop computer and I have replaced the cooling fan, double checked the connection for the keyboard, discovered Acer has problems with keyboard "Sticky Keys". I have removed both batteries and AC connections and have restarted several times with different combinations of power. The Acer Logo does come up and tells me Press F2 to enter Setup, but keyboard does not respond, even when I start pressing F2 as soon as I power up.
      I removed the HD and powered up with these results:

NVIDIA Boot Agent 244.0538
      Copyright (C) 2001-2005 NVIDIA Corporation
      Copyright (C) 1997-2000 INtel Corporation
      PXE-E61: Media Test Failure- check cable
      PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDTA Boot Agent
      Operating system not found.

Then I reinstalled the HD and let it start however it wanted. (No choice as keyboard does not respond). Startup Repair started and finally got to the end and these are the results of that test:

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair Log:

Session Details
      ==============
      System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
      Windows directory = C:Windows
      AutoChk Run = 0
      Number of root causes = 1

to save space I will tell you all tests were "completed successfully with Error Code = 0x0". At end of report

Root cause found:
      ==============
      Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.

Repair action: System Restore
      Result: Cancelled

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
      Result: Failed. Error Code = 0x2
      Time taken = 665001 ms

Those are the results of all the tests that I have been able to run.

Microsoft created a Vista Recovery disc that I downloaded via torrents and burned to DVD disk via ImgBurn ISO files. Because the laptop is set to start from HD the Recovery disk does not run so I cannot  fix this problem.
      Thanks Jean

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:17:15 AM »
      If the keyboard is not responding and Acer has problems with keyboard "Sticky Keys", you can try an external keyboard.

ejeanruport

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:58:03 PM »
        I had thought of that but if windows doesn't start, will the keyboard be recognized?
        Thanks Jean

ejeanruport

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »
          Sorry, thanks for the thought about the external keyboard. I will try to find one as my own computer is a laptop also. it will take a day or so to get back on that.
          Thanks again, Jean

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 01:12:47 PM »
          I had thought of that but if windows doesn't start, will the keyboard be recognized?
          Yes.

ejeanruport

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
            Thanks so much. will look for a keyboard. Jean

ejeanruport

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 05:16:29 PM »
              Found a keyboard and adapter to USB port. lights come on on the keyboard but computer will not respond to keystrokes.
              Is there an upgraded BIOS I can install to reconnect the laptop keyboard?
              I contacted Acer and they want me to by a Recovery Disk, but that will cause loss of all data in the computer. Some of which is business related.
              Windows is still partially working because if I leave it on long enough the screensaver will activate.
              Thanks. Jean

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »
              1.  Found a keyboard and adapter to USB port.
              2.  Is there an upgraded BIOS I can install to reconnect the laptop keyboard?
              3.  I contacted Acer and they want me to by a Recovery Disk, but that will cause loss of all data in the computer.
              4.  Windows is still partially working because if I leave it on long enough the screensaver will activate.
              1.  If adapter not provided with the keyboard, keyboard may not function.
              2.  Not likely.  Hard to say what's wrong; it overheated
              3.  You said in the 1st post you have a Recovery Disk, why do you need another?
              4.  Copy all the data files immediately.

rabster321

Starter

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »
                If you put in the recovery disk when you turn it on and pres ctrl+alt+del  it should boot from the disk

ejeanruport

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »
                  I am sorry but the keyboard does NOT activate so I cannot type ctrl+alt+del. I surely wish I could cause then I wouldn't have to bother anyone.
                  Thanks for the thought.