Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Temperatures wrong...  (Read 1953 times)

s-mac

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Temperatures wrong...
    « on: October 14, 2009, 11:29:15 PM »
    Hi, I think the thermometers in my computer are wrong..

I have an MSI Wind U100 Netbook

When I first got it half a year ago, it ran cold, even after watching movies or playing a game it would still only be a little warm. I could also use the built in overclocking(fn+f10) for as long as I wished.

The problems started about a month ago. After an airplane ride, my Wind started getting reeeally hot. Like after 15 minutes of being on Id burn my hands hot. The CPU temps were around 80C and the Northbridge was at about 100C! This I could understand too, cause my netbook felt hotter than <censored>. Before I could turn it off it blue screened and restarted..I turned it off.
    I ended up taking the case off. At one point the heatsink almost fell off. for some reason there were no screws in it, so I used a few of my case screws and screwed it on tight. Booted up, and after a few hours it didnt get that hot...but the readings were still as high.

Here I am 1 month later..My netbook usually feels cool too the touch, though warm if I watch video... But the temperatures when Idling say 69C for cpu and 85 for northbridge. HDD is at about 50C. When I watch video or compress a RAR or something cpu intenseive, the temps shoot up to around 90C/120C. If I turn the OC on it will shut off after a few seconds...rendering it pretty much useless. Also..If Im idling and I OC temps instantly drop about 7-8C
    Now I know that Im not running that high, because when I did run that high it was at least 40C higher...I doubt anything in my computer is over 50C.

So how would I fix this? because it sends my fan out of control all the time which gets annoying when Im trying to listen to something, and sometimes video will stutter and I just want to overclock it... Im pretty sure my thermometers need to be recalibrated...but I dont know how.

I have
    MSI Wind U100
    Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz
    2GB DDR2 667
    Intel 945GSE