Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Monitor with Laptop No longer Displaying  (Read 2494 times)

duck4life

Topic Starter

Starter

External Monitor with Laptop No longer Displaying
    « on: October 25, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »
    I have my Dell Inspiron e1505 laptop connected to my Dell SEW198WFP monitor. Previously, it worked without any problems. Now while still using a VGA cable, the display seems to recognize it is connected to my laptop but no picture either extends when using the monitor as a secondary display or as the primary display. I have not added any additional software or changed any configurations as far as I know to possibly cause the monitor to no longer work. I tried updating both the monitor and video card drivers but neither of these provided a solution.

My system:
    Windows Vista Business SP2
    Dell Inspiron e1505
    2GB RAM
    Display Intel 945 Express Chipset

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: External Monitor with Laptop No longer Displaying
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »
    ...the display seems to recognize it is connected to my laptop...
    How can you tell?

duck4life

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »
      I can move open windows to the external monitor but the screen stays black. Normally, without my external connected, my mouse is bound to the confines of my laptop screen. Also, I can choose the monitor in my display properties when it's connected and can't when it is not.
      « Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:24:50 PM by duck4life »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »
      Thanks for the clarification.  The external monitor works but the Windows desktop does not extend onto it.  Right-click Desktop, select Properties, select Desktop tab or Settings tab.  Should be items there to do what you want.

duck4life

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
        I've already gone through all of this. Both the built in windows graphic properties and the graphic card properties do not solve the issue. I've used the exact same set up within the last couple weeks and it has worked just fine. Now for some reason, external monitors no longer work either as a display clone or an extended desktop.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »
        I can move open windows to the external monitor but the screen stays black....
        This is odd.  Do you have some kind of graphic on the desktop?  If you change background to None and Windows theme to Standard, the 2nd monitor should at least be blue, and not black.  If it stays black, could be bad connection at laptop VGA connector.