Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will not boot  (Read 1957 times)

desrever

Topic Starter

Starter

Will not boot
    « on: October 25, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »
    Intel Core2Duo 3.16
    8 GB OCZ RAM (x4 2GB module)
    Windows XP 64
    Gigabyte MB model# GA-EP45-UD3R
    PSU- Zalman 600W  (ZM500-HP)
    PCI-E Ge Force 9600GT

Symptoms: When I turn on the computer: the case lights/fans come on, MB led's come on, I can hear the HDD's spool up, and the fans on the PSU and GPU turn on. The monitor acts as if no signal were being sent because it never turns on. (yes it's plugged in). Front HDD indicator light comes on and stays on, seems as if it never goes to POST tests.

I have tried several different memory configurations ( 1,2,4 sticks in varying slots). I've removed all drives with the exception of the HD the OS is located on. I pulled the processor and reseated it and heatsink with fresh paste. I have pulled the video card several times and see no obvious damage. I've double and triple checked connectors to MB and PSU.

I can't guess what happened. It was working one night and shut down normally. The next morning I got the symptoms described above. I would really appreciate some thoughts or ideas that don't involve buying replacement components. I'm a poor college student.  :-[

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Will not boot
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:31:29 PM »
    Sounds like you need a new video card.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:25:48 AM »
    Try the display on another computer (or a different display on this computer) just to rule out a bad display.

desrever

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:36:31 AM »
      I tried the monitor on another computer and it seems to function normally.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:18:37 AM »
      Then it sounds like the previous poster got it right - try a new video card.

desrever

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »
        Ok thanks, I'll try to dig up a replacement video card. I should be able to post the results of that in a few days.