Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows vista - performance monitor  (Read 3216 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    Windows vista - performance monitor
    « on: October 27, 2009, 02:27:00 AM »
    Hello guys

OK i got readyboost up and working, i am now trying to understand a little of how you know its actually doing something or is actually boosting your performance.

I now have to understand a little of how to use the performance and reliability monitor or the performace monitor.
    I have been looking at the help pages and it helps to some extent, but as a start when you are looking at the performance monitor on the ( change graph type) tab and you set it to  LINE view, what do the horizontal numbers mean along the side.

I have added the counters,   "bytes cached"  "cache reads/sec"  "hit read bytes/sec"   
    "total read bytes/sec"   "total write bytes/sec"

Though i dont really know what is the best view to have this in.
    Line view
    Histogram

:)

windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows vista - performance monitor
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:47:55 AM »
    OK i got readyboost up and working, i am now trying to understand a little of how you know its actually doing something or is actually boosting your performance.

I tried ReadyBoost but did not find much gain from using it.  However, this reference indicates the gain realized may vary depending on the application you're running.  See ReadyBoost Performance

As far as a way to monitor it is concerned, I don't know what tools might be used to do that.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
      « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:29:53 AM »
      I tried ReadyBoost but did not find much gain from using it.  However, this reference indicates the gain realized may vary depending on the application you're running.  See ReadyBoost Performance

As far as a way to monitor it is concerned, I don't know what tools might be used to do that.

OK, thanks soybean

Followed your link, pritty good information there, which led me to find this its a readyboost performance monitor, which some member's on the forum might be using and can give me any advice as to wether it is ok to use or download, or even if theres a better one...

http://pcwilleasy.co.cc/uncategorized/monitor-with-readyboost-readyboost-performance-monitor/
      windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »
      At today's prices you'ld be better off just adding some more RAM...
      Travel to crucial.com and run the online scanner...

PS. Don't wait too long ...RAM prices are climbing as we speak...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »
        At today's prices you'ld be better off just adding some more RAM...
        Travel to crucial.com and run the online scanner...

PS. Don't wait too long ...RAM prices are climbing as we speak...

Hello there patio

ARR yes patio did know that, but i was just stuck on something to do on the computer, so i thought i would just mess around with ready boost, seems to be ok.
        I allocated 4GB for space to use on the usb, and whats cached at the moment is 3GB.

Had the computer on all morning, and the pages that i go to have been loading sort of "super fast" when i go back to vist them.....
        Though i suppose there's a bit more to understand about readyboost yet.....

2gb ram/32 bit/