Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to set up RAID 1  (Read 1735 times)

IguanaGrrl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Trying to set up RAID 1
    « on: November 13, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »
    My fiance does a lot of production on his computer and we decided that it would be best to finally utilize the RAID capabilities of his motherboard and set him up with RAID 1, so that all of his gigabytes of music files and synths and whatnot wouldn't have to be re-installed if his primary drive failed.

The main hard drive is a 500 gb drive. The new drive is a 1 tb drive which I have partitioned to be 2 separate 500gb drives.

The Marvell RAID utility sees both of the drives. When I launch the utility and go to set up the drives for RAID 1, though, no matter if I select Quick, Full or None for the initialization, it states that if I continue, the master boot record will be deleted for drives 8 and 12 and data will be lost.

Drive 8 is the old XP drive that we do NOT want to delete.

Any thoughts? I need to set up RAID without deleting the contents of the drive. :(

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Trying to set up RAID 1
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:59:36 PM »
    ...The main hard drive is a 500 gb drive. The new drive is a 1 tb drive which I have partitioned to be 2 separate 500gb drives...
    I think the Marvel RAID is getting confused by this configuration.  RAID 1 wants 2 identical drives so it can perform the mirror.  Even better if they are the same make and model number.