Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Modem Connecting at Extremely Slow Speed  (Read 4725 times)

AJBlue

Topic Starter

Rookie

Modem Connecting at Extremely Slow Speed
    « on: November 14, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »
    Hey Guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I've been having. I have Windows XP completely up to date, and an Agere Systems AC'7 modem. I have done virus, malware, and spyware scans which all came back clean. My problem is that starting about three days ago my modem would only connect at about 31 Kbps (sometimes slower, rarely any faster). Before this it would connect at 53 Kbps about 99.9% of the time with no problems and remain connected for the standard 8 hours. The new connection speed makes it nearly impossible to browse the Internet. It's just too slow for pages to load and I constantly have to reload pages that just stall out. If I had the money I'd definitely purchase high-speed Internet, but I don't have the funds right now.

I brought up the diagnostic tools for the modem and it said that the modem was working properly. I tried to update the driver, and got the message that said it was up-to-date. When I ran a troubleshoot on it, it said:

"Is your COM port turned off? The troubleshooter detected that a COM port may be disabled. This may be the cause of the problem. Follow the steps below. To enable a COM port

1. Open Device Manager in Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Ports (COM & LPT) to expand the list of ports.
    3. Right-click the port the modem is using, and then click Enable.

If Enable is not listed, the COM port is enabled."

The modem is listed as being COM port 3, but when I follow the steps that are listed; no COM ports appear on the list, only a printer. I have no problem connecting to the Internet. It connects every time, just at the reduced speed. It does seem to take longer to connect though. When I called my ISP, they said everything was working fine on their end and that if I could connect to the Internet than it likely wasn't my computer. So the next logical conclusion is it's the phone line right? The problem with that, though, is I've tried connecting from other places in my home with the same results (maybe a little faster, in the 40s Kbps). I also have two separate lines and have tried them both with the same results. At one point yesterday I connected several times in a row at my normal 53 Kbps speed and thought maybe everything had returned to normal so I left it connected, but when I came back the download speed had reduced to a crawl. My brother, who lives with me, says that his connection is fine – no change in his speed - which must mean it is my computer right?

The only thing different I've done during that time frame is download a new version of my virus software. I use AVG and had to download version 9. Well it didn't download an actual .exe file to my HD. It used something like a download manager, like what Firefox uses to update.

Anyway, everything appeared to be working fine, maybe it slowed my browser down a little because of the "Link Scanner" it uses but I was still connecting at 53 Kbps with no problem. Well after I started losing connection speed I jumped the gun and uninstalled AVG thinking that might be the problem (it doesn't appear that it was). Now I have no virus protection because my Internet speed is too slow to re-download it and the old .exe file for version 8 is about a year out of date and won't run correctly/completely because I can't update it with speed I have.

I'm at loss right now. I have no idea what's wrong, and so have no clue how to address it. Could my modem just be fading? Should I buy a new one? Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions, please ask them. It might take me a while to respond because of my speed issue though. Thanks a lot in advance. I apologize if this issue has already been addressed, I wasn't able to really do an effective search with the connection I have.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Modem Connecting at Extremely Slow Speed
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 05:05:38 AM »
    First off, NEVER disable your anti-virus, you really need to re-install your anti-virus software.

Have you contacted your service provider and phone provider(you may need to contact both).  They very well may have changed something that is throttling your speed.
    Evil is an exact science.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:17:16 AM »
    This may be worth reading: Repair/Reset Winsock settings , and this: How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista.

I'm not saying you have a winsock problem but it may be something to consider in your troubleshooting.

A lengthy description of winsock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winsock.  A simple definition is "A piece of software that acts as the middleman between Windows applications and the Internet protocol."

I recall, back years ago when I was using Windows 98SE with a dialup service, that I had a problem connecting and called my ISP tech support. As I recall it, the tech had me delete the winsock file and restart the computer so what Windows would recreate it. I'm not recommending you do this without further technical assistance. It's just something I'm trying to recall from a long time ago which may be relevant to your problem.

AJBlue

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:27:11 PM »
      Thanks for the replies.

Ok, I managed to get my virus protection back. It took forever. Re-ran all my software for viruses, spyware, malware, etc. They came back clean.

They winsock stuff is a little over my head. I followed the directions and it appears that everything is working fine with Winsock.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 01:29:01 PM »
      Try what I suggested above, they may not even know there is a problem.
      Evil is an exact science.

AJBlue

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
        Thanks again Quantos for responding.

I have contacted my ISP and they said everything was working fine on their end. Plus my brother who uses the same phone line(s) as me is connecting fine. I've even tried connecting at other phone jacks in the house. So this would lead me to believe that it isn't a problem with my phone line, right? But the tech I talked to when I called my ISP said that if I'm able to connect then there shouldn't be anything wrong with my CPU.

That's what's so frustrating. Out of the three (computer, ISP, phone line) one of them has to have something wrong with them. But singularly they all appear to be working fine (aside from connecting at a much slower speed). I can't identify which one isn't working right so I can't fix it.

I thought about buying a new modem, but I'm not that technically gifted and if that doesn't work I'm kind of screwed.

AJBlue

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 09:47:26 PM »
          Oh CRAP: Well, my computer just randomly restarted, and I got this message when it restarted and I opened up my browser:

Blue screen error caused by a device or driver

You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.

The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the blue screen error from recurring. Try them in the order given. If one step does not solve the problem, then move on to the next one.
          Steps to solve this problem

Could my modem just be on it's last legs? If my CPU crashes I'm screwed because I don't have high-speed Internet to re-download all of my updates, especially to XP.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
          Could my modem just be on it's last legs?
          Yes. They do fail. And the failure is not always easy to spot.
          Try a new modem.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »
          If my CPU crashes I'm screwed because I don't have high-speed Internet to re-download all of my updates, especially to XP.

A failed modem will not cause your CPU to crash. You just won't be able to get an Internet connection.  Internal 56K modems are cheap.  Here's one: Rosewill RNX-56CX Conexant 56Kbps PCI Bus (Plug & Play) Internal V.92 PCI Date/Fax/TAM modem.  If you're not comfortable with opening the computer case and removing the old modem and installing a new one, perhaps you should take it to a repair shop.

AJBlue

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 10:56:35 AM »
            Thanks for the responses guys.

Is replacing an internal modem fairly easy to do? What about getting a modem that works through a USB port? Are they effective? If my modem was failing/fading are the symptoms I've mentioned consistent with this? Could a failing modem cause my CPU to restart on it's own because of corrupt, outdated drivers or registry entries, or do I have another issue altogether?

Thanks for the link to the modem Soy. That is really cheap. Do you think I'd get my normal connection speed (53 Kbps) with that?

Thanks again.

P.S. I just wanted to quickly add that I did a Chkdsk scan after I had the Reboot happen and everything appeared to be OK HD-wise in the morning, no errors. I also ran my Spyware software at startup and it came back clean. The connection is still slow though.
            « Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:06:44 AM by AJBlue »

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »
            Could a failing modem cause my CPU to restart on it's own because of corrupt, outdated drivers or registry entries, or do I have another issue altogether?
            I think not. You simply would not be able to get an Internet connection; your modem would not respond when you tried connecting.
            Thanks for the link to the modem Soy. That is really cheap. Do you think I'd get my normal connection speed (53 Kbps) with that?
            Yes, since you say your brother gets that speed.
            I just wanted to quickly add that I did a Chkdsk scan after I had the Reboot happen and everything appeared to be OK HD-wise in the morning, no errors.
            Try a few shutdowns and restarts.  Does it restart normally?

AJBlue

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 09:22:19 PM »
              I tried the the shutdowns and restarts Soy, and everything seemed to work like it normally does. On one of the restarts it did hang up (cursor still worked but the screen wouldn't change), but I think that was because I clicked restart rather quickly after the log-in screen.

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 11:02:51 PM »
              Is replacing an internal modem fairly easy to do?
              Yes, it's fairly easy.  If you've never any upgrading or replacing of computer components, you might find it somewhat challenging but this reference should help: Illustrated How to install a modem (Internal 56K)
              What about getting a modem that works through a USB port? Are they effective?
              I've never used one but I'm sure they're effective.  Browsing on newegg.com gives me the impression they generally cost significantly more than internal modems.  For example, here's one priced at $25 plus shipping:
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16825164005
              But, for some people, the avoidance of having to do an internal installation might make it worth the cost.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 07:11:45 AM »
              Also there are still External modems that will use a serial/parallel port as well if you don't want to sacrifice a USB port...can't remember which....Must ...Have...Coffee.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

AJBlue

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »
                Thanks Patio. If there's one thing I have plenty of it's USB ports. In fact I'd gladly donate a couple, if  it would remedy my problem  :D.

I guess I'm going to buy a new modem then, because I don't know what else it could be. I'm just a little afraid that I'll get the new modem and it won't have any effect on the problem.