Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 7 will not load  (Read 6263 times)

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

Win 7 will not load
    « on: December 03, 2009, 07:54:55 AM »
    After recently becoming almost unusable, I decided to reinstall Win 7. I have now tried 5 times & each time it gets to about 75% installed I get a BSoD, it then restarts then I get the message 'The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Win install cannot proceed. To install win click OK to restart, then restart the installation.' So I tried to install Ubuntu, with much the same result but got a notification that the 'Disc may have errors or overheated.' I know I have had some sort of infection, but can this actually dammage a HDD? I'm now at a loss as what to do. I'm using my laptop to write this post. Regards Alex
    Finding a grub in your apple, is not as bad as finding half a grub in..........

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Win 7 will not load
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
    Are you booting to the Windows 7 CD and reformatting first? If not, that's what you should do.

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:14:32 AM »
      Thanks Allan, but how can I reformat first? The only opportunity to format is during install? I am I right? It goes thru the install to about 75% then BSoDs & restarts! Just going round in circles here! I do have a spare HDD identical to the one installed, which I have formatted (in it's external case) via USB 'Computer/Format/Quick format after. Should I install this one & try again? I have managed to install Ubuntu now(on the 'old' drive) & it created 2 partitions 50/50. 1 with Ubuntu & 1 with (part) Win 7. But the win 7 won't boot. I assume because it is not fully loaded. Hope all this makes sense! Alex

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:15:40 AM »
      Are you BOOTING to the Windows 7 dvd?

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:23:15 AM »
        Sorry! Yes I am booting to the win 7 (64bit) cd.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
        Then you should be given the opportunity to format BEFORE the installation begins.

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »
          OK! I see Scenario- Insert disc, Win loading files, Accept agreement, select language etc. Type of install, I click 'Custom', HDD page I click 'Format' then message 'All files etc'. Then I sit and wait as it goes thru install to the point where I get the Blue screen.  And that's it....

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:45:40 AM »
          What is the blue screen error?

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 09:48:16 AM »
            Sadly it is not there long enough for me to read!

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »
            Okay. Back to your original question - no, malware cannot damage the hd. Worst case could be a boot sector virus, but they are EXTREMELY rare and would not generate a blue screen error. I suggest you go to the website of the hd manufacturer and download their hd utility and run it. If that doesn't show any errors you might want to check all hw (run a memtest, check vidcard, temps, etc). Sorry - but without knowing the blue screen error it's difficult to diagnose more accurately.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »
            Where is this version of Win7 from ? ?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 05:54:19 PM »
              Hi Patio, It's from Amazon, update version. I have finally got it sorted! Removed 6gb of ram, swapped out HDD for a formatted one, and here's the HiTech bit........took the whole lot down to my shed (0 degrees C) & loaded Win 7 (poss. overheating in the house?)with no probs at all!!!! (But froze me n*ts off!!) So I'm not sure which action was the cure. Brought it back in & first thing I did was reinstall Kaspersky. Now I don't get the virus warning when opening Comp Hope, strange? but still do on my Laptop???? Weird..

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »
              There is a known issue with install problems with Win7 and over 1-2G of RAM...
              Best bet is install to 1-2G and install...then power down and add the extra RAM.

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »
                Ahh......Looks like you got it there! Thanks for that. I'm still thawing out.......Best regards & thanks to you.Alex

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 06:17:06 PM »
                Excellent !

Bring us Good News...