Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: best free .pdf ?  (Read 3666 times)

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

best free .pdf ?
    « on: December 04, 2009, 09:20:44 AM »
    Does anyone know of a free .pdf viewer that will allow me to fill in information then print it out? I know of Foxit, and it's great reputation but as far as I know it won't do what I need it to.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: best free .pdf ?
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »
    Does anyone know of a free .pdf viewer that will allow me to fill in information then print it out? I know of Foxit, and it's great reputation but as far as I know it won't do what I need it to.

Adobe Reader and (as far as I know) Foxit will let you fill in forms and print them, but you can't save them as filled in unless you're using Adobe Acrobat Pro.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
    Some PDF forms can be filled in when viewed in Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader.  This depends on the permissions embedded in the PDF document by the creator.  For example, I just downloaded federal tax Form 1040.  I can open it with Foxit Reader (don't have Adobe Reader installed on this computer but it will work, too), fill in blanks, and save it with the entered data being retained.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »
    Some PDF forms can be filled in when viewed in Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader.  This depends on the permissions embedded in the PDF document by the creator.  For example, I just downloaded federal tax Form 1040.  I can open it with Foxit Reader (don't have Adobe Reader installed on this computer but it will work, too), fill in blanks, and save it with the entered data being retained.

Foxit let's you save it? Didn't know that. I know Adobe Reader (the free version) doesn't.

I recently created a form for someone for a company to use for employee evaluations, but when testing it in Adobe Reader and attempting to save, it popped up with a warning that data entered into the form wouldn't be saved and could only be printed.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:33:21 PM »
    Foxit let's you save it? Didn't know that. I know Adobe Reader (the free version) doesn't.
    Adobe Reader also allows U.S. federal tax Form 1040 to be filled in and saved, same as Foxit Reader. I just did it on my other computer. 

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:01:01 PM »
      Great! Thanx folks! I finally settled for Adobe reader since my computer won't have any issues with the size of the program or enough memory to run it wide open. My old pooter didn't have any issues with size, but it was sadly insufficient when it came to memory.