Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot DOS 5.0 from A: cannot access C:  (Read 3818 times)

April Van Bibber

Boot DOS 5.0 from A: cannot access C:
« on: June 09, 2004, 01:50:01 PM »
Hi, perhaps someone here can help me. I've forgotton most of my DOS. I have an old laptop that won't boot from C:. I have a DOS 5.0 boot disk which works, but then I cannot access C: or even reformat it because it doesn't recognize there's a hard drive. Is there a command for the config.sys or autoexec.bat that instructs the machine that there is a hard drive?
Thanks,
April

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Boot DOS 5.0 from A: cannot access C:
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 02:17:20 PM »
    April...What operating system is on the laptop ?
    Can you go into the bios and see if it is seen ?

dl65  ???

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

April

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 04:46:09 PM »
    Hi,
    I don't know. It's a Toshiba 2000 SXe laptop my brother in law gave me. When it boots, it just says Toshiba 1991. If I press the delete key to go into setup during boot, it gives only sketchy info, i.e. hardrive: 40 MB and allows me to change only the simplest of settings, like printer ports, etc. I've tried booting it with DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.22, which it does fine, but can't get to that hard drive.

franksimari

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:44:04 AM »
    it may be from a place where the administrator put in a password. .. or the hard drive is no good!

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 03:20:58 PM »
    load the boot floppy at the a:\ format c: then the fdisk command  after the a:\ prompt thats if you want to start from a clean hard drive  this will also  prove you can access the hard drive or a:\sys c: or
    a:\ cd
    enter
    c:\

or  try dos7.1  the forgotten ms system>http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos71/index.htm
    « Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 03:48:24 PM by merlin_2 »