Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Vostro 220s  (Read 16361 times)

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    Dell Vostro 220s
    « on: January 18, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
    First time posting on here in over a year. Hopefully the help is as good as it used to be.

I've got a Dell Vostro 220s and i'm wanting to put a new processor in it, but I can't find out what's compatible with the MoBo. I know it has an Intel Celeron in it right now. It's a single core and it's only 1.6 GHz. I'd like to put a dual core in it. Maybe like the 6300 Wolfdale if possible. I've gone to the Dell website and of coarse that was no help. Maybe if someone can help me figure out the socket type or something then i'll know what I can get. Thanks.

RudeDawg

Beginner

Re: Dell Vostro 220s
      « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »
      My experience with Dell is that their Forum has some great help! Quite a few of my upgrade questions have had satisfactory answers on there. I had 3 Dells all of which I upgraded. Finally I broke down a built my own! Good luck!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:26:02 AM »
      You could also DLoad install and run Everest Home on it...that will tell you more about the machine than you'll need to know...
      Post back with the MBoard and CPU info here and we'll have a looksee.....

PS Welcome Back !
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
        « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
        Good idea patio. I'll do that after I do my taxes and post back with the results. If there are any that are useful.

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
          « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:40:33 PM »
          Ok so I decided to skip the Everest part and just went and looked up the info on the Celeron 420 CPU thats currently in the PC. It's a single core, 1.6 GHz, 35W, 65nm, LGA775 processor. Now that I know it's a 775 socket type, I assume I can find something fairly easy to replace it with. Now my next question... The Celeron 420 has a FSB of 800 MHz. Should I stick to that or can I go higher? I'm also gonna check to see what kind of PSU it has, and whether or not it will be sufficient enough to power a better CPU.

**Edit**

I just realized that the 420 uses the 65nm Lithography, and is 35W. Can I even use a processor that's 45nm and 65W? I'm still new to this CPU upgrading thing.

Also, would I have to purchase a new Operating System if I upgrade the CPU?
          « Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:54:01 PM by t_blake07 »

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
            « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »
            If it's possible, I want to go with this:

"Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5 GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Desktop Processor"

Nothing special. But it should be a significant increase in speed. Still questioning the 65W though.

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:30:23 PM »
            Any socket 775 CPU should work.
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
            Not always...it still depends on the MBoard  itself...
            What board is this ?

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
              « Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:16:49 PM »
              That was the original problem. I don't know what board this is or who manufactured it. I can't find anything on Dell's website that tells me what board is in the "Vostro 220S". The only thing they can do is recommend a replacement/upgrade, which they also fail to specify anything about. The last time I ran Everest Home on a PC it also failed to give me any info that I was actually looking for, but I suppose I could give it a shot on this one.

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                « Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »
                Ran Everest Home 2.20 and the MB info is all unknown. I think i'll go to the Dell forums as mentioned earlier and ask around.

*Update*

Went to the Dell forums and it seems that not every Vostro 220s has the same mobo. Some people on there actually talk about components being on their brand new 220s that are not on mine. Maybe I could use the chipset on the board to come up with something?

Dell is a solid company, but if you ever want to upgrade a Dell PC, they sure do make it hard to do so without actually buying the parts from them. And even then they'll only give you the hardware that they recommend.
                « Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:40:45 PM by t_blake07 »

JJ 3000

Egghead
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 12:06:58 AM »
                Well you could always just open it up and look at the numbers on the board. You are gonna have to do this anyway if you want to upgrade your CPU.
                Save a Life!
                Adopt a homeless pet.
                http://www.petfinder.com/

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                  « Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 12:32:51 AM »
                  Yeah might as well. I need to see what i've got in terms of AGP/PCI/PCI Express slots anyways. Gonna put a new GPU in it also.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 06:58:34 AM »
                  You can also try Belarc Advisor and System Info for Windows ...both FREE.

Major builders will use different manuf. during a production run...i worked on an eMachines once that had sourced out 9 different MBoards in 1 model over a 16 month production run...

Also the MBoard will have an FCC # on it....google it...sometimes you'll get lucky.

Or Try Here...

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                    « Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 02:11:16 PM »
                    Ok, so i've looked at the board and it's manufactured by Foxconn. The only ID i can make out is "G33 M02". There's also what looks to be a serial number. It has 4 DDR2 slots, and 2 PCI slots. It also has a slot that says, "PCI E1 x 16". I'm assuming thats my PCI Express slot. Kinda surprised it has one. I'm gonna look the board up and see what I can find. Please feel free to do the same if you like. Thanks.

t_blake07

Topic Starter

Apprentice
                      « Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 04:03:42 PM »
                      Well I can't find a single thing about this particular board. I found a G33M board and a G33MS board on Foxconn's product website, but neither one of those is a match to my G33M02. It seems that the board thats in my Dell is a unique board made specifically for the Dell Vostro 200 series. Neither Foxconn or Dell have it listed on their product site, so it's gonna be a trial and error thing. I did read that another owner of the same board had stated that it will only accept Core 2 Duo, Pentium, and Celeron processors. (775 socket obviously)