Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black Screen Flashing Cursor  (Read 3164 times)

anninfrance

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Black Screen Flashing Cursor
    « on: January 24, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
    Hi please help I have been at this ALL day. My Laptop HP 11 months old (no idea what sort it has Vista)...wish it didn't after reading everyone hates it, worked great   all last week for work. Suddenly though last night it shut down and when I tried to reboot it was fine, but left me with the flashing cursor and a black screen. I have tried-
    Start up in safe mode.....loads files fine then nothing.
    Start up in safe mode with some other instruction...nothing after loading files
    Sticky key jobby....nothing but a few odd sounds
    I am absolutely stumped...being a half wit doesn't help.

Please, if there is anyone out there who can help I would very much appreciate it. I have loads of work to send tonight/tomorrow and am now in panic mode!!  :-[

Hardist

Rookie

Re: Black Screen Flashing Cursor
      « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
      First, try performing a Microsoft System Restore, boot up the unit, hit F11 on POST and see if it does load the HP Recovery Manager (Beware it can take up to 3 minutes before it actually displays something!). If it does, click the Advanced Options in the bottom left screen, and then click "Microsoft System Restore", and then hit next, after it tells you it needs to shut down the HP Recovery Manager.

In the next screen, after loading for 30 seconds, click next, and choose a System Restore Point. Click on next two or three more times (all options are default and you do not need to change those) and then wait untill it is done and asks you to reboot.

If all the above fails, reboot, go into your BIOS using F10 (click it a few times on your POST screen), then, click "Diagnostics" at the top, and perform the Hard Disk Short Self Test (You might need to click on Smart Support first, but normally not with a notebook from HP). Let the system scan the hard drive, and if it is giving any errors, you might be looking at a defective hard drive and you need to call HP so they can send you a new one, and also some restore discs if you not already have them. Let me know how this turns out.

anninfrance

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 02:19:57 PM »
        Hi I don't know who you are but I have done exactly as you said and it is doing something as I write, I had chosen a day at the beginning of January to restore, but it didnt like it and said there was an error, I am now attempting yesterdays date and will see what happens. i thought that by choosing an earlier date it would help, just in case I had done somthing stupid.
        I will keep you informed...
        Ann
        x

Hardist

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »
          My name is Ron, and I am an employee for HP at the moment, so I know almost everything there is with HP notebooks and desktops, that is why I could also give you detailed information about your HP.

The problem is, if this does not work, you need to find an original Vista disc (And not the recovery discs from HP, if you DID burn them) to restore your MBR (fixboot, fixmbr, those kind of things). But let's first wait and see what yesterday's date does, if it doesn't work, let me know what kind of error you're getting and also perform the HDD test in the BIOS, just in case.

anninfrance

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 02:31:16 PM »
            Hi Ron, I have just sent you a massive THANK YOU but I cant find it on the screen. You are a GENIUS and I very much appreciate your help.
            Thanks so much. I just need to say that I do lots of things to help people out and my mum says it comes back in other ways....and it just has so thanks.
            Ann

Hardist

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 02:32:22 PM »
              Did the Microsoft System Restore work for you? If so, I'm glad, because that was the fastest and easiest fix. Glad I could help btw :)