Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Computer Not Communicating"  (Read 9976 times)

truenorth

Guru

Re: "Computer Not Communicating"
    « Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »
    Ah yes i do see my erroneous reference to the computer that the Dell tech was working on. I guess i automatically felt that the "Dell" tech would not do anything on an HP computer.I must confess that your last post i find very confusing. There is a point in it where i was certain the printer issue with the Dell laptop is solved. It does appear from your last post that a successfull install of the Dell 960 printer software has been accomplished on the Dell laptop. Is that so? And are we to understand that if that is so that you are still unable to use the Dell printer on the HP desktop only?Is that correct? My insistence on following the method of installing the printer as specified by the "manual" was because each printer can have certain aspects of the install of hardware/software that is specific to that printer (they do vary printer to printer as well as being different depending on the operating system on some printers). So while i was certainly aware of the efforts you had made to remove and reinstall i was not certain if you had followed the precise instructions of the manual which is usually critical to success. What is being requested of you when ""Please Select Network Printer You Want To Use" is because you are on a network and on that network there are more than one printer. So at that point a list of the available printers should be displayed or somewhere on the open printer window (this is fuzzy with me now) as as i told you i am using a hardware method for printer sharing (not a network) and it has been some time since i used the network method should be an option to display all the available printers on the network and then when you select the A960 then you will be able to use it. At this point the printer program needs to be directed to the printer you want to use. It will NOT print (the laptop) until that is satisfied.I have never tried to use 2 printers on a network with 2 computers. Most people would use one printer with 2 (or more) computers. It may be because of the fact that you are using 2 printers (and want to for whatever reason continue to do so) you may have to designate the specific printer of use each time you want to print. Although given that you CAN print from the HP printer on the Dell laptop which is physically connected to the desktop (and as well i assume from the HP desktop also). It seems that only when you want to use the Dell printer from the HP desktop that you get the need to identify the printer. Is that right? As a matter of interest when you are using these 2 printers are they both turned on at the same time? If so what happens if you only turn on one printer at a time? If i am not mistaken we do have considerable progress here -- 2 printers--2 computers are now working--just not the way you want them to.
    truenorth

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 09:43:35 AM »
      Hi Truenorth: I'll do my best on each of your uncertainties:
      1. The Dell tech was working on the Dell A960 connected to the HP.
      2. Yes, A960 is installed on Dell laptop (as well as the HP).
      3.  You got me on a double negative: "... if that is so that you are still unable to use the Dell printer on the HP desktop only?..."
      Believe answer is Yes, A960 prints from the HP (its cable being in HP tower)
      4. Followed manual in order to get to where Dell glitches encountered.
      5. What I said in para following "Please select..." were the succession of screens which appeared (and which left me unable to comply without your help)

a. First there is \\RODELL alone (apparent reference to laptop); then an addition \\RODELL41PC (apparently the desktop).
      b. At one point, "Add A Printer" brought forth "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation".  As I found all printers: Dell A960/HP 970CSe/Microsoft Document Writer\Fax I disregarded it.
      c. I am puzzled by each of the two printers having almost duplicate entries: Dell AIO Printer A960 & Dell AIO Printer A960 on RODUKE41PC. Same thing with the HP 970SCe.
      Assume one entry each is for each of the two computers.

Tried printing with one and then the other (on A960) but "error" and no printing.
      Perhaps you can provide a step-by-step sequence to resolve all this.

6. You say, "...It seems that only when you want to use the Dell printer from the HP desktop that you get the need to identify the printer. Is that right?" Answer, Yes, although unsure of your meaning. The network has the same IP addresses for the computers and the identities are as you see, not only there, but there almost in duplicate.
      7.No, the two printers are not on at same time. Each is ON only when printing with it.

As to why have two printers, first, they print very differently and second, the cost of cartridges (and local availability at thrift stores!) also differ.
      Also, I am less likely to find myself unexpectantly unable to print.
      The A960 is far superior to the 970CSe when need color.

Yes Truenorth, your conclusion of progress is right on, and I hope I have clarified your various points. What remains are the essential NETWORK entries for the laptop. My para 5, a-b-c-etc., is not definitive, but illustrates my ignorance of just what is required.

Cordially,   

RO

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 10:52:41 AM »
        I am afraid that i have reached the limits of my ability to assist further in your issue. I note that "plodr" on "Major geeks" is also endeavoring to resolve your issue. Your reasons as stated for desiring to use more than one printer are readily understood. My wife and i are using a variety of them ourselves for reasons of quality and differences of paper size,etc. So in and of itself the use of more than a single printer is not unusual. What is unusual is that you are trying to use more than one printer on more than one computer while having them all interconnected. By the way my earlier "hardware" solution will not work in your situation unless you wish to use two computers with one printer. The only way that solution could be used for you is if you had two of the devices and unplugged one from the two computers when you wished to use the other printer. Which to me is as readily accomplished by simply connecting the particular printer you want to use to the specific computer you want to use it on (manually) at the moment of desired use (this of course being dependant on both printer's software being installed on both computers). Which seems to be where you are now. If you ever do get this operation working in the manner you are seeking i personally would be interested to know how it was accomplished to increase my knowledge. good luck,truenorth

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »
          Much appreciate your time and trouble, Truenorth. Of course disappointing not to be able to activate the network but easily understood.

What keeps me going is what I'm after is just what I had and used without difficulty for over a year. That eliminates any interest in your hardware referral. Sure, I can simply switch the cable between computers as software now working on both of them. If I were more tech-savvy I'm sure d-Link Router could resolve the network problem but that's not the case.

Only hope left is plodr. If he fails I'll have no choice but to call in expensive microsoft certified techs. As you may know, that's a very hazardous area, but FYI, two I have found as reliable, honest and capable are FASTEX & NETSURGEONS.

Cordially,
          RO

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »
            It bothers me to have to give up on something. So i have done a bit more investigating to see if anyone else has tried to do what you are trying (the same or similar) and i have a few links for you that may contain that missing ingredient. Here they are:
            http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/ask/0,3800004928,62033844,00.htm
            It occurs to me (even though you may have done it differently when it worked in the past) you should be able to accomplish the same thing if the 2 computers are physically close enough to each other by joining them with an ethernet cable to their ethernet ports. As an example:
            http://www.labnol.org/software/connect-computers-without-router/11049/
            This last one contains "tons" of info re set up all kinds of networking situations.
            http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/Home_Networking_Setting_Up_a_Home_Network.htm
            One more,
            http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
            truenorth
            « Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:39:44 PM by truenorth »

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »
            roduke 41, can you recap a few key points here, to spare us the pain of having to read through this very long thread?  You two computers, two printers, and you want to connect one printer to each computer and share both printers so that either computer can use either printer.  Is that right?

Is either of the printers networkable?  Any printer can be shared by enabling file and printer sharing in Windows.  But, "networkable" means being able to connect the printer to a router rather than to a computer, and then accessing the printer from any computer networked via that router. 

My guess is the HP printer is much older than the Dell, right?  And, the HP is not networkable, right?  How about the Dell?  Apparently, at least one of the printers is network-capable since you mentioned your router and having contacted D-Link support. 

And, now, some questions which I believe have not been asked.  Since you could just connect one printer to each computer, why do you need to share or network them?  If you can get one of the printers working as a shared or networked printer, would that not be enough?  Why do both printers need to be accessible to both computers? 
            If he fails I'll have no choice but to call in expensive microsoft certified techs.
            You know, for what it would cost to pay for Microsoft support, you could probably buy a new network-capable printer.  I have a Brother AIO connected to my D-Link DI-524 router and can access from two desktop computers connected by cable to the router and from my laptop by wireless connection.  I paid about $109 for the AIO, but I got it during an exceptionally good promotional offer from newegg.com. But, other models that normally sell for less than mine are also network-ready.

truenorth, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, learn the concept of paragraphs.  It would make your posts a lot easier to read.  ;)

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 01:55:55 PM »
              I'll do my best, Soybean.
              1. Yes; simply put, complete interchangeability between both computers & both printers.

2. Both networkable (although neither printer is "wireless"). As said, worked heretofore flawlessly!

3. Hard to say which printer older; both old. But question repetitive: both networkable as per (2) above.

4. Currently no sharing/networking. Each prints on whatever printer cable connected to it. Now both printer cables are connected to HP desktop. So it prints from both. Laptop does not print from either unless/until cable connected to it. More briefly, there's no network.
              No reason to be content with half-a-loaf! Have Router, should have network; should have full capability.

5. Know what you mean! DellOnCall assures will reestablish network for $129. Microsoft "only" $70. Geeks a matter of time/distance and who-knows-what-cost. Another difficulty is some of the very competent MSN techs, and there's a whole slew of them, are expert in some areas, and useless in others -- and no way to know which even if they do "estimate". Two references I supplied are entirely different and far more reasonable.

Cordially,
              RO

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »
              OK, to reiterate, you could just connect one printer to each computer and leave it at that.
              No reason to be content with half-a-loaf! Have Router, should have network; should have full capability.

5. Know what you mean! DellOnCall assures will reestablish network for $129. Microsoft "only" $70. Geeks a matter of time/distance and who-knows-what-cost.
              OK, it's your money.   :o

Edit: You might try http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3527.aspx and http://h30434.www3.hp.com/

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 02:19:24 PM »
                Thanks for references, Soybean.
                RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »
                   Truenorth, good references thank you. Made printout of CNet Asia; About.com I belong) will take more time; HowStuffWorks interesting; Without Router I passed on.     Cordially,
                  RO

soybean

Genius
                  « Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
                    Again thanks, Soybean.  I'll hold on to existing WBR-1310 d-Link router!  Cordially,
                    RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 07:35:58 AM »
                      UPDATE:  After review of CNET ASIA referral re SHARING, on desktop found name "Printer 4". Knew this to be the Dell A960; changed name. Also checked re "Additional drivers", desktop being XP SP3 & laptop Vista SP2. Found list half-dozen items, one of which (an Intel) checked YES.
                      Went to laptop SHARING; no "Add Printer" (as was on desktop); checked name, found Printer 4, but when Cancelled, checked again, up came the Dell A960.

I had not intended to follow directions had "Add Printer" been there inasmuch as six printers already shown The Dell A960 & HP Deskjet 970CSe being each shown twice, it was safe assumption the ones with title  RODELL41PC referred to desktop; ones without that to the laptop. BUT on the desktop there was only one entry for each printer, each without RODELL41PC in title. Total five printers if include "Add Printer".
                      The "Additional Drivers" area was "blued out".

NETWORK ACTIVE LAPTOP PRINTED ROUTINELY! (This despite both printer cables connected to desktop!)

Here's the rub: Selecting HP Deskjet in place of the Dell A960: DID NOT PRINT.

One further anomoly on desktop. Opening taskbar A960 icon in use, 0 documents. At Ctrl Panel PRINTERS, the other icon with abbreviated title showed 3. Accepted to Cancel 2, but not the 3rd.
                      On desktop all five printers "0" & "Ready".
                      RO