Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Computer Not Communicating"  (Read 9862 times)

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

"Computer Not Communicating"
    « on: February 08, 2010, 09:18:36 AM »
    Added to this problem is the uncertainty of which forum this one should be in!
    I am on Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop with Vista Ultimate SP2; AIO Dell Printer A960; d-Link WBR-1310 Router connecting this laptop with adjacent HP desktop, the total network.

I am unable to print from the laptop even when printer connected directly instead of to the desktop tower. For an extended period I had no difficulty printing from either computer. Trouble followed a Dell tech on remote assist uninstalling/reinstalling drivers on desktop to resolve unrelated problem rather than dealing with the error code. Easier for them but leaves the possibility of repetition as problem not addressed, as well as eliminating existing network.

I come here only after many hours on Dell phone support plus many email exchanges plus similar help from d-Link (the network is correctly set). The most frustrating aspect is Dell is at least partial responsible yet assert can without difficulty fix whatever needs fixing for $129!

With my inexperience I'm unsure just what needs fixing as I have reinstalled drivers, exchanged router/printer cables and followed various other instructions to no affect. Perhaps laptop "SetUp" needs redoing, but could not find where/how to do it. Got as far as fxsetutil.exe. but no further.

Will welcome specifics as to cause/cure from you more knowledgeable forum colleagues.  Thank you.
    RO

truenorth

Guru

Re: "Computer Not Communicating"
      « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »
      I would suggest uninstalling your existing network. Reinstall it. Then create the protocol for printer sharing and designating the main/primary computer for the printer sharing. It may also be necessary given whatever the Dell "tech" did to reinstall the printer software on the laptop. Follow the specific sequence instructions for the printer to do that. truenorth

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:03:44 AM »
        Thank you truenorth for prompt reply.  Taking your points one-at-a-time:

Reluctant to reinstall network because it was the last thing done and addresses of each computer match -- and I don't want to run the risk of messing it up, and then too, d-Link support has endured numerous email exchanges/phone calls.

May I have a bit of specifics as to the protocol for printer sharing and designating main computer -- no doubt the  desktop withXP SP3 rather than laptop with Vista Ultimate. When traveling with it no printer anyway!

If I understand your last point it refers to possible need to reinstall drivers on laptop. When I recently did it I missed the SETUP so far as I know. Could not access it specifically. Please advise just how to do so.

Appreciate your help.  Cordially,  RO

RO

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:08:12 AM »
          This is a hardware solution to printer sharing . I am using this method. However i will also send instructions for a software solution soon. I have used a software solution also in the past.
          truenorth
          http://www.ehow.com/how_2295139_share-printer-between-two-computers.html
          This is an example (only one of many ways of a sotware option being applied).
          http://www.ehow.com/how_4449672_share-printer-between-desktop-wireless.html
          On your last query you make mention of an attempt at reinstalling "drivers" on the laptop (which i believe is the one of the 2 that was modified by Dell). As you will note from my examples from the links more than driver installation may be required. However if there was a failure to apply "setup" you had not completed the installation of your printer. It is critical that you follow "exactly" the method and sequence of the software installation as prescribed in your printer manual. If you do not have the manual it can usually be found on the printer manufacturers web site.
          « Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:18:55 AM by truenorth »

wk990

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:58:21 PM »
            I don't know if this apply's to vista but I do know it applys to win 7  when I installed win 7 I went to print a file from ms word and was told that my printer was not connected which I know it was, I downloaed the drivers for win 7 and unbe-known to me I had 2 printers installed, and when I went to print and being quick on the trigger I never paid attention to the print screen info, but did it again and this time I seen I had printer 1 and printer 2 installed.  I selected the second one and now it printed, I deleted the # 1 printer and so far it's been 3 months and had no problems.   hope it works for you

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:43:08 AM »
              Thanks, wk990, but my difficulty is different.
              I have two printers and until current debacle, no difficulty using either on either desktop or laptop.
              RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »
                Appreciate info Truenorth. eHow first reference doesn't involve router, but as I "belong" I used the site to see what tech support pros had to offer. Nothing in particular when you're far away in the boondocks as I am. Just getting here is costly and the hourly approach rather than job approach additional hurdles.
                The second reference covered familiar territory but inapplicable.

Two frustrating hours since my earlier reply. Bottom line, have unistalled Dell A960 Printer completely from the Dell Vista laptop (found 3 copies of driver sets!) -- BUT cannot reinstall!

So many discrepancies between what is supposed to show and what does show makes it difficult not to bore you with a multitude of problems encountered when tried reinstall.

All sorts of reference screens at Dell. Easily complied with downloads of the 4 items shown: DRIVERS G10, A00;Firmware, 235.154..44.101; Patch/Upgrade, G5, A00; last one, Systems Firmware is duplicate of Firmware already entered but entered anyway.

From there went to A960 Download Page. Operating System box: entered Service Code 3RZRL31; not recognized, simply returned to entry box page. Alternative, enter model: Inspiron E1505: not listed, same return to entry page. Listed included 1501 (which showed 41 files) & 1520 (with 68 files). No way could I proceed despite having the aforementioned 4 downloads at Documents.

I'll go back to Dell Support but without any confidence in their boilerplate responses.
                RO

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
                  roduke 41, Can certainly appreciate the current frustration. The hardware solution could be an inexpensive solution to your problem (if you were normally using both computers in close proximity to the printer). Here is what that device looks like:
                  http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computer-accessories-NEXXTECH-Cables-To-Go-30505-USB-Manual-Switch-2-Port-USB-2-0-W0QQAdIdZ183133238
                  The device is not restricted to only printers.However i would not suggest getting one yet to solve your problem until you can get the Dell laptop to be able to use the printer on it's own. I still believe that that issue is because you have thus far been unable to install the software necessary to allow the printer to be used on that computer. When you go into printers in the " control panel" on the Dell laptop are there any printers being shown there? What all is being displayed there if anything? I would like you to go through this google page link and open the pages that seem to have relevance and see if anything new appears that might advance your situation. Please keep us in the loop as you proceed as it is our desire to help you to resolve this. truenorth
                  http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=8&oq=dell+A960&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZHZ_enCA241CA241&q=dell+a960+vista+driver

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »
                    Truenorth, I do wonder at how many years it must require to be as knowledgeable as you are.
                    Interested to see the $19 device but as you say, should not be in need at this juncture.
                    The Google reference was an eyeopener despite the earlier listings being those I have been using at Dell.

I certainly agree as to the need to get the printer program back on the laptop -- and hope it will then print. If does so on its own I believe it will on the network. Dell's response full of the usual platitudes and boilerplate and not any acknowledgement of the Service Code nonrecognition or the nonlisting of Inspiron E1505.
                    The only practical solution is remote assistance whereby control of my computer is shared -- if not by you, then Dell!

Here's the Printer list on the laptop: Fax 0 Ready; HP Deskjet 970CSe 0 Ready (default); Microsoft XPS Document Writer 0; FoxIt Phantom Printer 0 Ready.

On the desktop: Same Microsoft XPS; Dell AIO Printer A960 0 Ready (default); Quicken PDF Printer 0 Ready;
                    HP Deskjet 970CSe 0 Ready; Add Printer.

Subject your opinion, I'd like to eliminate the FOXITon the laptop & the QUICKEN on the desktop. And is that Microsoft XPS on both computers worth whatever it uses in Memory? I don't believe I've ever used Document Writer to compose anything.

Cordially,  RO
                    RO

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 03:06:08 PM »
                      Ah ha! as i suspected you do NOT have the Dell 960 as a listed printer on the laptop. Exactly why it is not working. " Here's the Printer list on the laptop: Fax 0 Ready; HP Deskjet 970CSe 0 Ready (default); Microsoft XPS Document Writer 0; FoxIt Phantom Printer 0 Ready" What is that reference to the HP deskjet 970CSe? That is what that Dell laptop has as the "default " printer. Unless it is a printer that you have on that computer then that should be removed. When you are finally able to get the software for the Dell 960 installed that will be the one to be designated as "default'. But at this time it is not there at all. I did not review all the links on the Google page i sent you but it did appear that there were some issues with that printer and some operating systems (not that they could not be overcome only that they needed to be addressed). Did you note that also? As i stated you need to read through those that pertain to installing the software on your particular operating system. Do you have the printer manual by the way? As to deleting anything other than the HP printer i don't see a purpose in that at this point. Seeing that your other computer is NOT having any problems with the printer and it has it as the default i wouldn't do anything there. On the addage "if it ain't broke don't fix it". If we can overcome the inability to get your Dell printer software installed on the Dell laptop then you will certainly be able to share it with the HP computer by whatever way Hardware/software that you wish. Take the time to read those google links and the solution could be there. Keep us posted.truenorth
                      P.S. I was not familiar with the "Foxit Phantom printer so i have read up on it. Do you use that program?

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 03:46:17 PM »
                        Pressed for time; excuse brevity.
                        FOXIT substitutes for Adobe which requires considerably more Memory. Know nothing about FoxIt printer. You made no mention of Quicken on the Microsoft one.
                        HP Deskjet is a second printer which is what the network is all about. Usually have interchangeability between computers and the printers. No other use of Network.
                        Confused about no Dell A960 nbeing on laptop. Of course not, that's what requires the A960 program installation. Without it, it coyld not be there!
                        I do have the A960 manual (as well as the HP one).

Dell is scheduled to phone for remote assist in few minutes.  Bestest.  RO
                        RO

soybean

Genius
                        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                        • Computer: Specs
                        • Experience: Experienced
                        « Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
                        Uh, roduke 41, you have one printer, or least one printer you want to share between the two computers, right?  As truenorth has stated, you have two different printer models on the two computers.  So, exactly what model printer do you have?  Obviously, this should be the same on both computers. 

Don't worry about Microsoft XPS Document Writer.  It does not consume memory if it's not being used. 

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »
                          Regret confusion, Soybean!
                          Have two printers, AIO Dell Printer A960 & HP Deskjet 970 CSe.

By d-Link Router the network makes both interchangeable with both HP Pavilion a1350n desktop XP SP3 & Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop computers.

Trust this clarifies the status.  Cordially,  RO
                          RO

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »
                            well a new element has entered the equation. I was not aware that there were/are 2 printers involved. I was of the impression that there was one physical printer (the Dell) and that you were using it successfully until Dell tech got involved and changed "something" on the Dell laptop. After which you not only lost the ability to share the Dell printer but also the Dell printer on the Dell laptop. Now that i see a 2ND printer in the equation  ( which i presume i would not have known about had i not asked about it from your earlier post replying to my question) i have a question. What is the status of the HP printer in regards to sharing on the 2 computers? What is the status of being able to use the HP at all on the Dell laptop?
                              The reason i brought up the "Foxit Phantom printer" in my previous post was because in acquainting myself about it i did notice a reference to it causing "printers to become lost". I don't believe that is necessarily an issue with your current situation if as i suspect it has always been there before this current state arose.
                              As i stated much earlier (yes,yes i know you said that you have tried to reinstall your printer already) but i advised you to use your printer manual and EXACTLY follow the precise methodology spelled out in the manual to reinstall the software with absolutely NO deviations. I don't know as yet if you have done exactly that. truenorth

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 10:28:28 AM »
                              Good morning Truenorth. I really am not making excuses for misunderstandings resulting from my original description, but there were/are so many aspects I tried to stick to essentials. That's the reason no mention of the 2nd printer, HP Deskjet 970CSe which functions normally and has no part in my difficulties. And note slight error in your recap of my "...Trouble followed a Dell tech on remote assist uninstalling/reinstalling drivers on desktop to resolve unrelated problem".
                              Not as you say, the laptop.    (FYI, FoxIt Phantom printer uninstalled.)

Now you're at the very crux of the situation. Last evening Dell remote assist reinstalled A960 Printer on the laptop (without bothering to explain the two glitches preventing me from doing so); works beautifully. Your reference to my reinstalling exactly as per manual is not understood inasmuch as I reported when attempting to do so I encountered those Dell glitches which blocked further progress.

So all that remains is the NETWORK interchangeability. The status of the HP printer is (happily) it prints from the LAPTOP. As its cable is connected to the desktop tower, no need to verify prints from there. Tried unsuccessfully to print using A960 from laptop. My unfamiliarity with the succession of screens following "Please Select Network Printer You Want To Use" leaves me lost in cyberspace as well as inability to provide a description.

First there is \\RODELL alone (apparent reference to laptop); then an addition \\RODELL41PC (apparently the desktop).
                              At one point, "Add A Printer" brought forth "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation".  As I found all printers: Dell A960/HP 970CSe/Microsoft Document Writer\Fax I disregarded it. I am puzzled by each of the two printwers having almost duplicate entries: Dell AIO Printer A960 & Dell AIO Printer A960 on RODUKE41PC. Same thing with the HP 970SCe.
                              Assume one entry each is for each of the two computers. Tried printing with one and then the other (on A960) but "error" and no printing. Perhaps you can provide a step-by-step sequence to resolve all this. Much obliged, either way!

Cordially, 
                              RO