Updated: 12/30/2019 by Computer Hope
Name: Andrew Stuart (Andy) Tanenbaum
Born: March 16, 1944, in New York, United States
- American computer scientist best known as the author of MINIX, a free Unix-like operating system for teaching purposes.
- He is professor of computer science at the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam in the Netherlands. His computer science textbooks are regarded as standard texts in the field.
- His book Operating Systems: Design and Implementation and MINIX were Linus Torvalds' inspiration for the Linux kernel.
- Computer Networks, (co-authored with David J. Wetherall).
- Operating Systems: Design and Implementation, (co-authored with Albert Woodhull).
- Modern Operating Systems.
- Distributed Operating Systems.
- Structured Computer Organization.
- Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms, (co-authored with Maarten van Steen).