Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop Gadgets Suddenly Won't Display Properly  (Read 12218 times)

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • My pal Sharky
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Desktop Gadgets Suddenly Won't Display Properly
    « on: December 06, 2013, 10:18:25 AM »
    SYX Systemax Tower PC running Windows 7 Pro 64 software. All systems are go except:

I use 3 internally provided "gadgets" on my desktop - the CPU monitor, the currency converter set to Canadian dollars, and the weather monitor set to Vancouver, BC Celsius. A few days ago, after a Windows update download session, they stopped operating correctly. They each still show the "data" for each function, but the graphics have become inop.

The CPU says "CPU usage 08%, RAM 47%" in words, but the two little dials and pointers are gone. The currency indicator says "USD 1.000, CAD 1.066" but the the gold bar graphic is gone. The weather says "-7 deg, Vancouver, CAN" but the graphic of sun or clouds or rain is gone. All other desktop icons look normal and operate as expected. Desk top wall paper is the same as before.

Anyone else ever seen this?  Any suggestions for a fix appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Desktop Gadgets Suddenly Won't Display Properly
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
    Probably because MS has dropped all support for Desktop gadgets due to the fact they provide a security risk...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • My pal Sharky
      « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
      Including the ones I use, which come in the Windows software? The same came in my laptop, and in both of my kids laptops, all different manufactures? I never went on line to search out external gadgets.  ???

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
      I still use the gadgets on my Windows 7 systems for both 32 and 64 bit which are fully patched and here is the list of ones I use with no problems:

Clock - selected from the Windows 7 gadgets selection built into Win 7 and I check the box to show the red second hand.
      CPU Monitor - This one is not from the built in Windows 7 gadgets selection, but I got it from a trusted source.
      Network Monitor - Just like the CPU Monitor not part of Win 7 selection and got from same trusted source 3 or 4 years ago.
      Weather - Selected from Windows 7 gadgets selection built into Win 7, just had to enter my zip code for it to know location.

All 4 of these work flawlessly on 4 systems that they are on.

*Note: The security risk in gadgets is mainly if you have a dirty gadget installed from a 3rd party. It is not a risk if you have clean gadgets. I feel that the reaction to stop using all of them immediately was going overboard, and was also a driving force to try to force people to go to Windows 8.x if they want these features back. If it was as big of a problem as it was hyped out to be, there would have been an immediate patch to shut off the gadgets feature forced down to us from Microsoft. All they did was cause a stir and drop their hosting of the gadget downloads and on the same page that says sorry we no longer host these gadgets promote Windows 8 to try to push people to 8 who really dont need Windows 8.

I would suggest removing the gadgets from desktop. Then reboot, and then add them back and see if this fixes the problem. If it doesnt and you really want them to work, then there might be something corrupt in your system that is causing this and using Windows 7 repair disc to repair the build may be a solution or otherwise a clean installation of 7.

Like I said, I am using those gadgets and they are flawlessly working on 4 builds that are fully patched, so MS didnt as of yet kill the gadget service for Windows 7.  :)

BTW: The CPU Monitor I use is great because it shows a graph of the active cores as well as memory use within that graph, so I can look at it and see a light blue line showing % of memory in use, and yellow and green line for the dual-core CPU to see how the CPU has functioned over the last 30 seconds on the graph. In addition to this it shows core actvity in bars with % as well as shows CPU details and core frequency, so I can see when it throttles back or runs at full speed.

The Network monitor has useful into such as Your IP, IP issued from ISP, upload and download speeds, graph showing network traffic of system among available bandwidth, and also shows how much data has been uploaded or downloaded with option to reset to 0 and clear the data or refesh the data.

*This Network Monitor was useful in detecting that a free game was attempting to use my system as a bit-torrent share among other gamers, but it was flooding my network connection with others needing game updates etc and this was affecting my internet speed with this uncontrolled upload flood and with an upload speed that is 1/5 the download speed this caused issues surfing the web and watching netflix etc because this games torrent was not designed to be courteous among other network needy services that also needed to share bandwidth on the upload pipe side, so I was able to kill off the sharing of this unwanted torrent to where I can get updates from others, but I am NOT willing to share with others the game updates and slow down my internet connection in the process.  :P

In addition to this, this Network gadget also brought to my attention to a malware infection on my wifes system where she clicked on something on facebook and the antivirus didnt detect a problem, and there was unusual traffic to strange IP's. Doing and IP lookup I found that there was some identity in Venezuela connecting with this system when I fired up Wireshark to watch the traffic on my LAN between my wifes system and outbound. I ended up rebuilding her system clean and not messing around about what looked like a keylogger that was not sending the keys in real time, but sending them in timed interval bursts. She had MSSE installed and it didnt catch it. Malwarebytes when run detected all sorts of issues. I have also since then limited her privileges to user vs admin and this has avoided some issues as for she will state, it needs a password to do something and I ask what are you doing and she is like oh I am on a coupons website and the system chimed and popped up asking for the system admin password. I then say, we are not entering the system admin password to run whatever unknown script/installer wants to run as admin to install problems. And I am the only one who knows this system admin password, so i can control what is installed.   LOL  ::)

Plain and simple... Gadgets to many are still important features to have! Just run the ones that are known to be clean if you do, and dont take chances downloading 3rd party ones that can be dirty!

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • My pal Sharky
        « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 05:23:47 AM »
        ALL FIXED!  ;D

The repair was simple in the end.

I had upgraded (?) to IE11 about a week ago. I subsequently found several other things not working properly, including certain other software. Contacting that software provider, they stated that IE11 was causing their product problems and suggested I uninstall IE11, which would cause it to revert to IE 10. I did the uninstall and every problem was cured.

My gadgets are all back to normal.

Moral:  Beware of IE11!

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:13:39 PM »
        Thanks for the heads up and glad you have it worked out. I did a clean build to my wifes system last night to put clean install to SSD in her system and did the IE 11 update and her gadgets have not acted up yet, but good to know that IE 11 has some issues with certain gadgets in case we have any issues down the road.