Exception 03h in module when starting Windows ME
Exception 03h in module when starting Windows ME.
This issue may occur when or after running defrag or other third-party disk utilities, or when the files User32.dll, Gdi32.dll or Winmm.dll are corrupt.
To resolve this issue follow the below steps.
- If a Windows ME diskette has not already been created, create a Widows ME diskette. Information on how to do this can be found on our boot disk page.
- Reboot the computer with the diskette inserted, ensure the option "Start computer with CD-ROM support" is selected.
- Once at the prompt, type the below commands.
c: <press enter>
cd windows\system <press enter>
ren user32.dll user32.dlx <press enter>
ren gdi32.dll gdi32.dlx <press enter>
ren winmm.dll winmm.dlx <press enter>
a: <press enter>
smartrv.exe <press enter>
ext.exe <press enter>
- When prompted to insert your Windows ME CD-ROM disc, point the computer to the letter of your CD-ROM drive and the Win9x directory,
as shown below.
If you are not using a Windows ME disc, locate the cabinets directory on that disk. Unfortunately, this can vary. Alternatively, you may try the below directory.
- When the prompt appears with the files you wish to extract, type:
user32.dll gdi32.dll winmm.dll <press enter>
- When prompted for the location to extract the files to enter the drive:\windows\system.
This will be:
- Review all the information; if correct, enter Y for yes and press enter.
- When complete, type the below commands, where Windows is the name of your windows folder.
c: <press enter>
cd\windows <press enter>
ren cmapieng.vxd cmapieng.vxx <press enter>
If the file does not exist in the Windows directory, type the below commands.
cd\progra~1 <press enter>
cd cyberm~1 <press enter>
ren cmapieng.vxd cmpaieng.vxx <press enter>
If the path cyberm~1 (cybermedia) does not exist or the file is not present in this directory continue with the below steps.
- Restart the computer.
Note: If you are utilizing a disk utility program such as Mcafee Office, First Aid, Guard Dog, Internet Guard Dog, or other utilities, when utilizing these utilities with Windows ME, ensure that you have all the latest updates, patches and that the software is compatible with Windows ME.
* Contact information for these companies should be available through our support page.