Password protecting Microsoft Word and Excel documents
The following steps give users of Microsoft Word and Excel instructions on password protecting their documents. One should be note that it's generally a good idea to create a backup copy of your file without a password in the event that you forget it. Should you choose to do so, it is best not to store the unprotected file locally, but rather on a USB stick.
- Open Microsoft Word or Excel and the document or spreadsheet you want to put a password on.
- In the top left-hand corner of the screen, Click the Microsoft Office Button.
- In the dropdown menu that appears, move your mouse cursor over Prepare and click Encrypt Document.
- Once you have selected a password, type it in the Password box, then click OK.
- Type your password one more time in the Reenter Password field and click OK.
- Save the file to save your new password.
Password to open - Entering a password for this option makes the file only readable by users who know the password.
Password to modify - Similar to read-only, this option allows the file to be viewed, but only users with the password may edit and save the file. Keep in mind, however, that a user could open the file then copy its contents to their own document.
Removing a password - To remove the password from a protected document, follow the steps in the previous section, but delete the characters entered in the Password fields.