My computer or computer plug is sparking or smoking

Computer smoking and on fireIf your computer, computer plug, power strip, or wall outlet is sparking or smoking, this could be an indication of a serious defect with your computer or computer peripheral, or with how your home or office is wired. Below are different symptoms relating to this issue and recommendations to what to do when these symptoms are occurring.

Wall outlet is sparking or smoking

You may notice sparks when plugging something into an outlet, this is ok. However, if you notice sparks after or while something is plugged in or notice smoke at anytime coming from the power outlet, you should contact a certified electrician immediately to have your house and wall outlet looked at.

Power strip or surge protector is sparking or smoking

You may notice sparks when plugging something into an outlet, this is ok. However, if you notice sparks after or while something is plugged in or notice smoke at anytime coming from the power strip or surge protector, it should be replaced immediately.

Computer is sparking or smoking

Recommendations:

  1. Disconnect any non-essential peripherals, such as the printers, speakers, scanner, etc. If this resolves your issue, it's possible the other peripherals are causing this issue to occur and should be looked at.
  2. If you're using a power strip or surge protector, connect the computer directly into the wall. If this resolves your issue, your power strip or surge protector may be defective and should be replaced.
  3. Try plugging the computer into a different wall outlet. If this resolves your issue, it's likely that wall outlet is defective and you should contact a certified electrician to come look at the wall outlet.
  4. Try using a different power cord. If this resolves your issue, it was likely only a defective power cord.

If none of the above recommendations resolve your issue, we suggest having the computer looked at by a service center or identify what is sparking or smoking and replace it. If you are unsure what computer component is causing the sparking start with the power supply.

Monitor is sparking or smoking

Recommendations:

  1. If you're using a power strip or surge protector, connect the monitor directly into the wall. If this resolves your issue, your power strip or surge protector may be defective and should be replaced.
  2. Try plugging the monitor into a different wall outlet. If this resolves your issue, it's likely that wall outlet is defective and you should contact a certified electrician to come look at the wall outlet.
  3. Try using a different power cord. If this resolves your issue, it was likely only a defective power cord.

If none of the above recommendations resolve your issue, we suggest you replace the monitor as it is likely seriously defective.

Additional information